- Consumer Warning: In our research we found Clever Real Estate consumers suffered significant violations including privacy violations, false advertising, and steering towards sub-par, high-cost products.
- Cons: Clever falsely claims it is free. Clever charges high hidden fees totaling 25% to 40% of commission you pay as kick-back at closing. Clever does not disclose this fee on the settlement statement.
- WE DO NOT RECOMMEND CLEVER: Clever violates Realtor Code of Ethics by falsely advertising itself as “free”. Clever also harms consumers by steering them to high-cost, sub-par products. Instead, we recommend you use these alternatives.
Clever Real Estate is a brokerage licensed in Missouri. However, Clever does not provide any services that a brokerage typically provides. Instead, Clever advertises itself as a “free” service to home sellers and home buyers. Once these sellers and buyers signup, Clever sells their info to agents in return for a 25% to 40% “Service Fee”.
Our team of expert real estate researchers has spent hundreds of hours researching Clever Real Estate and its practices. In writing this opinion piece below, we have also consulted with real estate attorneys, title and escrow agents, and Clever affiliate agents. We also spoke to consumers who sold their homes through clever or considered Clever.
What is Clever Real Estate?
Clever Real Estate (Clever) is a licensed Missouri real estate brokerage. It was founded by Benjamin Lee Mizes, Jake Cardenas, Jeremy Decker, and Luke Babich in 2017.
Clever, however, does not provide any services a traditional brokerage would provide.
Clever uses marketing to get home sellers and buyers to submit their contact information. Clever then stores consumer information as leads in its database. Clever does not service the leads themselves. Instead, Clever sells those leads to affiliated agents for a “Service Fee”. This Service Fee typically ranges between 25% to 40% of the total commission the seller pays at the time of closing.
Clever does not disclose this service fee either upfront or in the Settlement Statement when the property is sold. They allow you to believe that the service is free, even though you’ve paid thousands of dollars to use Clever.
🚩 BEWARE: Although Clever is a licensed brokerage in the state of Missouri (License # 2017042277), it does not offer any services a traditional brokerage provides. Instead, Clever presents itself as a free service, collects your information, and sells it to agents within its network for a “Service Fee” which can be thousands of dollars.
How Does Clever Real Estate Work?
For any real estate transaction, you need a willing seller and a willing buyer. A real estate agent acts as a middleman to facilitate the transaction. A typical U.S. real estate transaction in fact involves 2 real estate agents.
Through shrewd marketing, Clever inserts itself as the middleman of middlemen. Clever connects consumers with agents, and for that, charges 25% to 40% of the commission as the Service Fee.
Clever also offers a rebate if a customer sells as well as purchases property using their services. But this comes with a catch. You are eligible for this rebate only if the purchase value of the house is more than $150,000. And Clever will collect 40% of the commission as a “Service Fee”.
How Does Clever Make Money?
Clever Real Estate claims Clever is “100% free”. This is not true.
Clever Real Estate attracts home buyers and sellers to its website using Content Marketing, SEO, and PPC campaigns. Then it collects the property and contact details of those buyers and sellers in its database via an online form and converts them into leads.
Clever forwards those leads to its affiliated pay-to-play real estate agents. The pay-to-play agents convert the lead into their “Clients”. Once the transaction closes, the pay-to-play agents pay Clever a “Service Fee” within 10 days of the closing date.
Clever’s Service Fee Paid from Commission Home Sellers Pay:
|If the home is sold for less than $125,00||25% of the gross broker commission|
|If the home is sold for more than $125,000||Greater of $1,000 or 25% of the gross broker commission|
|If the broker represents the buying side||Up to 40% of the broker commission|
💸 Looking For A Company That Has No Hidden Fee?
Choose Houzeo.com! Houzeo reveals all its prices and rates upfront. Sell your house with Houzeo.com for a small flat fee – as less as $349!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
Calculate Your Savings: Traditional Agent vs. Ideal Agent vs. Houzeo
Clever agents charge 1% commission. Of that commission, Clever receives a 25% to 40% kick-back. With Houzeo, you will save that entire commission. And there are no kick-backs at closing.
Selling/Buying With Clever Real Estate
To sell or buy a house with Clever, you need to first provide your personal information, and the details of the property you are looking to sell or buy.
Clever saves your information as a lead. The leads are then forwarded to Clever’s pay-to-play agents. Agents will call you to schedule a time for an in-person interview.
Once you select a Clever pay-to-play agent, you work directly with that agent. Clever from that point on doesn’t engage much with its leads. Customer testimonials confirm that once you finalize the real estate agent, Clever does not interfere much in the process.
This can be a risky prospect for sellers as well as buyers. There is no guarantee that the agent assigned to you is high-quality and will deliver up to your expectations. And since Clever doesn’t interfere much, customers are left to deal with such agents on their own.
Clever also claims that its agents are not discount agents. We found this to be false – several agents we spoke to offered discounts and cheaper services.
✅ Why You Should Choose Clever
If you care about protecting your personal confidential information, you should not.
It is true, that Clever’s rates are comparatively cheaper than other companies that operate on a similar model. We believe this is the only positive aspect of selling your house with Clever.
The downsides are very significant, as we’ll discuss below.
🚩 Why You Should Not Choose Clever
Clever’s 1% commission for home sellers is too high. It’s 2023, and with technology, home sellers can list and sell their homes for a mere few hundred dollars.
For home buyers, Clever’s 0.5% rebate is miniscule. Houzeo and Redfin can get you significantly more in buyer rebates.
🚫 Clever Real Estate Misrepresents Its Service as “Free”
U.S. Federal Trade Commission’s enforcement of state and federal Truth-in-Advertising laws requires companies to be:
- cautious when using the term “free” or “sale”.
- upfront and truthful about their pricings
Clever advertises its services as “100% Free”. That is untrue. Clever collects a substantial 25% to 40% of the gross commission of the agent as a “Service Fee”.
🚫 Clever Poses a Risk of Privacy Violations
Clever affiliated pay-to-play agents you work with are party to the transaction. As such, they are privy to your transaction documents including the ALTA statement.
Clever is not a party to the transaction, so it is not entitled to consumers’ private transaction information, including the ALTA statement.
Per Clever Real Estate’s Service Agreement For Brokers, Clever requires its affiliated pay-to-play agents to share the ALTA statement. This undermines the privacy protections consumers are entitled to under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) (sections 502(e)(1) and 509(7)(A)).
The excerpt below is directly from the “CLEVER SERVICE AGREEMENT FOR BROKERS”, signed by a Designated Broker, associated with Clever Real Estate, Inc.
🚫 Clever Allegedly Engages in Price-Fixing Violating Federal Antitrust Laws
Clever fixes the commissions with home buyers and sellers. This is then honored by more than 12,000 agents working with them. This violates Federal Antitrust Laws.
Also, the National Association of Realtors states that the agent and the home buyer or seller can negotiate commissions at any time during the transaction. Clever Real Estate is not a party to the transaction, but it fixes the commission upfront. In addition, it requires its pay-to-play agents to honor that commitment.
What Do Customers Have To Say About Clever?
Clever Real Estate has stellar reviews on Trustpilot, which is a paid review site. On free sites like Google Reviews, Clever has a mediocre rating of 3.8 stars out of 5 stars.
⛔ What Bothered Customers About Clever ⛔
Below are a few problematic aspects of Clever Real Estate that pose some major red flags for customers.
🤫 Clever Does NOT DISCLOSE All The Cost 🤫
As per customer testimonials, Clever Real Estate kept a seller in the dark about the additional closing costs. It was not until the seller asked the real estate agent did they come to know about the additional costs that are to be incurred by them.
Throughout the process, they were told that all they need to pay is $3,000 and 2.5-3% buyer agent’s commission.
Clever did respond to this review and claimed that the savings the seller received can help offset these closing costs.
💸 Houzeo reveals all its prices and rates upfront
Sell your house with Houzeo.com for a small flat fee – as less as $229!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
⚠️ Clever’s Agents Are Not Up To The Mark ⚠️
We came across various customer reviews that suggest that Clever’s agents were not at all efficient. In some cases, agents tried to get the lowest possible price for the sellers and withheld offers.
This is expected. Clever claims it does not connect consumers with discount agents. We found that to be not true. Multiple Clever affiliated pay-to-play agents we spoke to offered discount services. Some primarily got their listings through discounted services – and that’s the definition of a discount broker.
🔍 Clever Does Not Monitor The Overall Process 🔎
Once the agent is assigned to the consumer, not much is handled by Clever. In the words of a customer “Clever didn’t put many guardrails around agent” and the seller had to guide the process themself.
This is also expected. A traditional brokerage would monitor their agents. Clever is not a traditional brokerage. It is a referral company and as such is not a party to the transaction.
It would be rather difficult for Clever to demand high-quality services from its affiliated pay-to-play agents because they don’t hang their licenses in Clever’s offices.
» Houzeo Reviews: Homeselling experience of Americans with Houzeo.com
Pros And Cons Of Using Clever Real Estate
Using Clever’s services comes with its advantages and some serious disadvantages. Below is a table to summarise all of these.
|Reasons To Choose Clever||Reasons Not To Choose Clever|
|✅ Clever offers its services for a 1% commission. Cheaper than other agent referral companies||❌ Clever does not disclose all costs upfront|
|✅ Good customer rating of 4.9 stars on Trustpilot||❌ Clever fixes commission with sellers/buyers upfront leaving little room for them to negotiate|
|✅ More than 12,000 affiliated agents. Can help you find an agent nearby||❌ Customer testimonials suggest their agents are not up to the mark|
|❌ Clever does not value consumer privacy|
|❌ You will waste a lot of time interviewing agents|
Alternatives to Clever Real Estate
We recommend two alternatives for Clever Real Estate that offer better services at affordable rates. They not only offer better services, and harness technology but also do not threaten your privacy or violate any laws.
This is Why You SHOULD Choose HOUZEO
|Companies||Listing Agent Commission / Fee||Nationwide coverage||100% Online||Mobile App For Customers||Offers Directly to You||Counter an Offer||Fast Listing Changes||Manage Showings|
|Clever Real Estate||$3,000||✅||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌|
Houzeo harnesses technology to enable home sellers to bypass real estate agents and the hefty commission associated with their services.
Unlike Clever, Houzeo charges all the fees upfront and works on a flat fee model that allows you to list your property for a small flat fee.
Everything You NEED To Know About Houzeo
🔥 BEST FLAT FEE MLS LISTING SERVICE
Why It’s #1: Houzeo has thousands of 5-star reviews. It offers the best combination of maximum savings, advanced technology, 5-star customer support, and listing exposure.
Packages: Houzeo typically offers 4 Flat Fee MLS packages.
- Bronze Package – $299+: It is the best for selling a lot. Your listing gets syndicated to Zillow, Trulia, Realtor, Redfin, and more.
- Silver Package – $349+: This includes everything that home sellers typically look for.
- Gold Package – $399+: It is Houzeo’s signature MLS package and includes all the technology Houzeo is known for Houzeo Showings, Houzeo Offers, and DigiTransact.
- Platinum – $999+: It includes the assistance of a licensed broker to help you with negotiations, disclosures, and closing.
👉 Our Take: We recommend the GOLD plan. You’ll have all the access to Houzeo tech, making managing showings and offer negotiations easy!
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish listing formalities in less than 60 mins.
- Near Nationwide Coverage: Houzeo covers 47 states + DC.
- No Listing Agent Commission: With Houzeo, you only pay a small flat fee to list on MLS and get access to all the Houzeo tech.
- 100% online: Easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers.
- Max Exposure: Listings get syndicated to Zillow, Realtor.com, Trulia, Redfin, and 100s of other real estate sites.
- Fast Listing: Rush listing option gets you listed within a business day with Houzeo Concierge.
- Real Estate On the Go: Houzeo Mobile App mimics most functionality of the Houzeo web platform, including Offers and Showings.
- 5-Star Customer Service: Superb support that minimizes Houzeo complaints.
- No Hidden Fees: There are no Houzeo hidden fees.
» Is Houzeo Legit: Learn more about Houzeo.com’s locations and services.
Houzeo has 4.9 out of 5 stars on Google & Trustpilot.
» Houzeo Reviews: Check out what customers have to say about Houzeo.
Houzeo is available nationwide.
Why is Redfin Better Than Clever?
|Companies||Listing Agent Commission||Nationwide coverage||Dashboard To Track Buyers||Mobile App For Customers||Concierge Service||Professional Photos||Assistance in Prepping your House|
|Clever Real Estate||1%||✅||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌|
Redfin is a low commission real estate company that works on a model similar to Clever, but comparatively offers better services.
Though they charge commissions a little higher than Clever Real Estate, they offer various additional services such as 3D walkthroughs, assistance in staging and cleaning, professional photography, and a lot more.
More About Redfin
BEST TECH-ENABLED BROKERAGE
Redfin is one of America’s top discount real estate brokerages. This low-commission broker specializes in home buying. Redfin.com’s technology is what sets it apart from all other platforms.
- Redfin Full-Service Agent – 1.5% Commission: This is a full-service package. This includes pricing assistance, listing paperwork, negotiation support, etc.
- Redfin Concierge – 2.5% Commission: The “Concierge” plan includes everything from the Full-Service package. Additionally, it includes services like professional cleaning, home staging, and more.
- Redfin Premier Agent – 1.5% Commission: This package is exclusively for luxury properties and includes everything that comes with the Full-Service package.
👉 Our Take: We recommend Redfin’s concierge service. This service enhances the value of your house with a professionally managed design plan and no upfront fees.
» Selling With Redfin: Is it worth selling with Redfin?
Here are some advantages of choosing Redfin:
- Advanced Technology: Redfin is primarily known for its advanced tech platform and mobile app.
- Full-Service Agents at Low Commission – 1.5%: Redfin’s full-service package is priced at 1.5%. It saves you thousands compared to the traditional 3% listing commission.
- Buyer Rebate – 0.5%: Clients who sell and buy with Redfin within one year get a rebate of 0.5% in the second transaction. However, this offer is available with the Full Service Plan.
- Detailed Paperwork: Redfin provides the necessary paperwork and an elaborate listing agreement with a marketing plan.
- Nationwide Coverage: Redfin covers 80+ markets in the US.
» What is Redfin? Is it truly a smart choice to choose them? Read the comprehensive review to know more!
In our research, we found some red flags of Redfin, that could make your experience less satisfactory.
- Lack of Personalized Services: Customers have often complained that Redfin agents are not able to give personalized service, as they serve a high volume of clients.
- Poor Customer Reviews: Customers have complained that agents are often unreachable and unprofessional.
- Slow Listing Process: According to Redfin’s listing agreement, a Redfin property takes 18 days to list on MLS. Services like Houzeo will list you on the MLS within 24 to 48 hours.
- Limited Agent Selection: As per customer reviews, Redfin lacks an array of agents. This means you get an agent assigned automatically without having any choice in the matter.
- Agents are Less Incentivized: Unlike traditional agents who work for commission, Redfin agents get a fixed salary. This can demotivate them from offering you additional services.
» Redfin hidden Fees: Check this out to learn more about their hidden fees.
Redfin has an average rating of 3.3 out of 5 stars on Consumer Affairs.
» Redfin Reviews: The Reality of 1% Fees, Pros, Cons, & Alternatives!
Other Options You Should Consider
1. Sell to iBuyers
iBuyers make an offer on your property within 24-48 hours and can close within 7 days or more. Most iBuyers like Opendoor and Offerpad are also known to offer the Fair Market Value (FMV) for your property.
Selling to an iBuyer has certain significant drawbacks. These include:
- Limited coverage, restricted to metro and urban areas
- Strict eligibility criteria without exceptions
- Non-negotiable offers
- 5% service fee
- 2% – 8% repair costs
👉 Our Take: We recommend iBuyers if your house meets the iBuyer company’s eligibility criteria.
» iBuyer Reviews: Check out rankings, pros, cons & alternatives of top iBuyers in America
2. Sell to “We Buy Homes for Cash” Companies
Unlike iBuyers, “We buy homes for cash” companies help you sell your house as-is fast. They can even close within 7 days or any date you choose. “We buy homes for cash” companies also make cash offers for homes outside metro areas or in difficult-to-sell locations.
Here’s why traditional cash home buyers could be a bad option for you than an iBuyer:
- They make lowball offers and offer only 50% – 70% of market value.
- Their offers are non-negotiable
👉 Our Take: We recommend selling to a cash home buyer if you are selling a distressed house “as-is” without looking for the best price.
» “We Buy Homes for Cash” Companies: Check out America’s biggest cash home buyer companies in 2023
“Cash for Homes” Companies Near You
3. Sell FSBO With Flat Fee MLS Services
Listing with a Flat Fee MLS service gets your house on the market within just 24-48 hours. Selling For Sale By Owner has increased substantially in the past few years, with 77% of FSBO homes being sold in less than 2 weeks.
Flat Fee MLS is one of the best ways to sell your house fast, and it has 4 major benefits:
- MLS is the fastest way to hit the market, plus your listing is syndicated to Zillow, Realtor.com, etc.
- Your listing gets maximum exposure.
- You can negotiate all offers.
- You skip paying commission or service fees.
👉 Our Take: We recommend Flat Fee MLS companies for most home sellers. They are fast, and you will save thousands in commissions.
» Websites for sale by owner: Check out the rankings for America’s best FSBO websites
Should You List With Clever Real Estate?
Clever claims to offer real estate services at discounted rates for free. This attracts a lot of buyers and sellers to its services. But on investigating further a very grim picture comes forward.
They allegedly violate a lot of laws such as The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), Federal Antitrust Laws, etc that threaten your privacy. Not only this, customer testimonials suggest that their agents are also not up to the mark. They are also not upfront with their prices.
After knowing all of this, we do not recommend Clever Real Estate and its services.
We rather suggest much better services of Houzeo.
Houzeo offers all its rates upfront and is transparent about its services. With Houzeo you can list your house on the MLS for as less as $199. Houzeo offers you various options, wherein you can also opt for the virtual full-service package.
💸 It’s NOT CLEVER To Use Clever Real Estate
Rather opt for Houzeo. Houzeo reveals all its prices and rates upfront. Sell your house with Houzeo.com for a small flat fee – as less as $229!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
Check out some of the Houzeo reviews and how it has helped customers around the US.
Real People, Real Stories
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the alternatives to Clever Real Estate?
There are various alternatives to Clever Real Estate. You can opt for Redfin Now which offers its services at discounted rates. You can also opt for Houzeo which offers various flat fee packages and is upfront with all its prices.
What are the pros and cons of Clever Real Estate?
Pros of Clever Real Estate are:
1. Clever offers its services for a 1% commission. Cheaper than other agent referral companies
2. Good customer rating of 4.9 stars on Trustpilot
3. More than 12,000 affiliated agents. Can help you find an agent nearby
Cons of Clever Real Estate are:
1. Clever does not disclose all costs upfront
2. Clever fixes commission with sellers/buyers leaving no room for them to negotiate
3. Customer testimonials suggest their agents are not up to the mark
4. Clever does not value consumer privacy
5. You will waste a lot of time interviewing agents
Who owns clever real estate?
Clever Real Estate (Clever) was founded by Benjamin Lee Mizes, Jake Cardenas, Jeremy Decker, and Luke Babich in 2017.
Is Clever Real Estate Legitimate?
Clever Real Estate is a legitimate company. It is an agent referral company that matches buyers/sellers with the agents nearby.
Where is clever real estate located?
Clever is a licensed brokerage in St. Louis, Missouri..
Related: clever real estate, Clever reviews, clever.com reviews, clever real estate review, list with clever reviews, clever partner agents, clever realtor, how does clever work, reviews on clever real estate, listwithclever, best for sale by owner site, we buy homes for cash
Clever Real Estate Reviews Real Estate Reviews