- Is FSBO a Good Idea?: Yes! 77% of FSBO homes sold in less than 2 weeks according to the NAR.
- Pros: Selling FSBO saves you thousands in commission, retain full control over your transaction, and is faster than selling with a Realtor.
- Cons: You will be scheduling showings and reviewing offers yourself. So make sure to pick a FSBO site that gives you tools to manage showings and offers.
- What is the Best For Sale By Owner Site?: Houzeo.com is the best For Sale By Owner website. Houzeo is superb on tech, and is rated 4.9 stars with thousands of reviews on Google Reviews & Trustpilot.
- Paid vs. Free FSBO Sites: MLS is the most powerful tool to get you top dollar for your property. No website can get you listed on the MLS for free. So we do not recommend you list on free sites.
FSBO is now more popular than ever. 36% of millennials and 26% of Gen X’ers are selling their homes themselves. 77% of FSBO homes sold in less than 2 weeks. Sell FSBO, and you save thousands in agent commissions!
In this slowing market, choosing the best FSBO website for your sale is more important than ever. Here are our rankings!
Rankings: 12 Best For Sale By Owner Websites
We have summarized 7 best paid and 5 best free FSBO sites.
|FSBO Website||Fee||100% Online||MLS Access||Showing & Offer Management||5-Star Reviews||Nationwide Coverage|
|5. Flat Fee Realty||$299||❌||✅||❌||❌||✅|
|7. Homecoin||$95 🚩||❌||✅||❌||❌||❌|
|9. Zillow & Trulia||Free||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅|
|11. Oodle Marketplace||Free||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅|
|12. Facebook Marketplace||Free||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅|
*For 5-Star Reviews, customer ratings above 4.8 out of 5 have been considered.
Reviews: 7 Best Paid FSBO Websites
Looking for FREE sites? Jump to 5 Best Free FSBO Sites
1. Houzeo.com: Superb Tech, Stellar Reviews
Why It’s #1: Houzeo gives you the best combination of max exposure, 5-star customer service, fast listing & changes, and cutting-edge technology.
Packages: Houzeo offers 4 For Sale By Owner MLS listing packages.
- Bronze Package – $299+: It is the best for selling a lot or land property by the owner. Your FSBO listing gets syndicated to Zillow, Trulia, Realtor, Redfin, and more.
- Silver Package – $349+: This includes everything that FSBO home sellers typically look for.
- Gold Package – $399+: Gold is Houzeo’s signature MLS package and includes all the technology Houzeo is known for: Houzeo Showings, Houzeo Offers, and DigiTransact.
- Platinum – $999+: It includes the assistance of a licensed broker to help you with negotiations, disclosures, and closing.
👉 Our Recommendation: We recommend Houzeo’s Gold Plan for most home sellers. The Gold plan includes all of the advanced features Houzeo is known for. If you are on a budget, Houzeo’s Silver plan is comparable to most companies’ For Sale By Owner packages.
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo.com has a 4.9/5 rating with thousands of reviews
- Near Nationwide Coverage: Houzeo covers 47 states + DC
- No Listing Agent Commission: With Houzeo, you only pay a small flat fee to get access to the MLS and all the Houzeo tech
- 100% online: Easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers
- Max Exposure: Listings get syndicated to Zillow, Realtor.com, Trulia, Redfin, and 100s of other real estate sites
- Fast Listing: Rush listing option gets you listed within a business day with Houzeo Concierge
- Real Estate On the Go: Houzeo Mobile App mimics most functionality of the Houzeo web platform, including Offers and Showings
- 5-Star Customer Service: Superb support that minimizes Houzeo complaints
- No Hidden Fees: There are no Houzeo hidden fees
» Is Houzeo Legit: Learn more about Houzeo’s locations and coverage
Houzeo is available nationwide with coverage in 200+ markets.
Reviews: America’s Best FSBO Websites
We’ve reviewed the best paid and free For Sale By Owner Websites in 2022
2. Beycome.com: Affordable Packages, Average Reviews
Beycome is a licensed brokerage that offers all services virtually. Beycome offers Flat Fee MLS listing services in Florida and a few other states.
Packages: Beycome offers three Flat Fee MLS listing packages.
- Basic Package – $99: You can upload maximum photos and make unlimited listing changes. You get forms and disclosures, an open house scheduler, and home visits management tool. Note that there is a mandatory $25 cancelation fee.
- Enhanced Package – $399: With all the features of the Basic Package, you get a yard sign, a featured Beycome listing, flyers, brochures, and a key lockbox. You also get to add a virtual tour video to your listing.
- Concierge Service – $599 + 1% Commission: Opt for this package if you need assistance until closing.
👉 Our Take: Beycome’s prices are reasonable as a high-tech platform. However, their reviews are only decent, and they have limited coverage. Furthermore, Beycome Real Estate is not a For Sale By Owner website; it is a flat fee brokerage.
» Beycome Reviews: The Truth about America’s only Flat Fee Online Real Estate Brokerage
- Set up a free web page along with listing your property on the MLS
Beycome Brokerage Realty LLC. has a 4.5 out of 5 rating on the popular review site Google.
👎 Limited Coverage: Beycome Real Estate covers only 9 states—Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Minnesota, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
👍 Rankings of Local For Sale By Owner Listing Services: If your zipcode lies out of Beycome’s coverage or you want to explore local companies, check our rankings & choose the best FSBO site for your sale:
- Flat Fee MLS Alabama: See our rankings of Flat Fee MLS Companies in Alabama
- Flat Fee MLS California: See our rankings of Flat Fee MLS Companies in California
- Flat Fee MLS Connecticut: See our rankings of Flat Fee MLS Companies in Connecticut
- Flat Fee MLS Florida: See our rankings of Flat Fee MLS Companies in Florida
- Flat Fee MLS Georgia: See our rankings of Flat Fee MLS Companies in Georgia
- Flat Fee MLS Illinois: See our rankings of Flat Fee MLS Companies in Illinois
- Flat Fee MLS Minnesota: See our rankings of Flat Fee MLS Companies in Minnesota
- Flat Fee MLS North Carolina: See our rankings of Flat Fee MLS Companies in North Carolina
- Flat Fee MLS South Carolina: See our rankings of Flat Fee MLS Companies in South Carolina
3. FSBO.com: Oldest Service, Outdated Tech
FSBO.com is the oldest For Sale By Owner website and offers cost-effective listing packages.
Packages: FSBO.com has 2 FSBO packages for home sellers.
- Basic Package – $99.95: Your property is listed for 6 months on FSBO.com and Redfin only.
- MLS Package – $399.95: You get 6 months of MLS listing with up to 20 photos. Your listing is syndicated to Realtor.com, Zillow, Trulia & many more real estate websites.
Additional Fees: Adding a la carte items will cost you an extra $335. To avail of CSS showing service and e-lockbox rental, you have to pay $75 and $150, respectively. For adding max photos in your FSBO listing or getting a yard sign, you need to pay $50 & $60, respectively.
👉 Our Take: Though FSBO.com offers affordable listing packages the unpredictable customer service, offline process, and manual effort can make the FSBO process time-consuming.
» FSBO.com Reviews: Discover why the oldest FSBO site isn’t the best in this slow market.
- Access to MLS
- Local broker referral
- Decent savings on commissions
- Has foreclosure, pre-foreclosure, bankruptcy, and tax lien listings
- Poor customer service
- FSBO Listing can take 2-4 days
- No control over selling since it is an offline process
- No mobile app
- Add-on features at an extra price
- Manual listing updates
- Unpredictable broker quality
👎 Zero Customer Reviews: FSBO.com has no customer reviews on popular review sites like Google or Trustpilot.
👍 Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo has a stellar rating of 5.0 stars on Google and 4.9 stars on Trustpilot.
FSBO.com is available in all states with coverage in 50+ markets. Customer service remains questionable nationwide.
4. Fizber.com: Nationwide Coverage, Subpar Customer Service
Fizber is an online for-sale-by-owner platform that offers nothing more than an MLS listing. They do not provide any a la carte options, leaving no scope for customization.
Packages: Fizber offers 4 packages for FSBO home sellers.
- Free FSBO Listing – $0: Offers only a Fizber listing with maximum photos.
- Digital Boost Package – $95: You get a featured listing on Fizber, Redfin, and an Open House Manager.
- MLS Boost Package – $270: You get everything from the Fizber’s $95 package plus an MLS Listing.
- Premium MLS Boost Package – $295: You get everything included in the $270 package plus an option to add more photos.
🚩 FSBO Closing Fees: You have to pay a 0.5% success fee in Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming with their MLS listing packages.
👉 Our Take: Fizber.com’s MLS listing packages offer decent savings but ride on old technology and subpar customer service.
» Fizber Reviews: Learn why Fizber’s Flat Fee MLS packages aren’t worth your time.
- Access to MLS
- Local broker referral
- No control over selling since it is an offline process
- Slow listing process (2-4 days)
- No mobile app or advanced features
- Manual listing updates
- Unpredictable broker quality
Fizber has a 4.2 out of 5 rating with 95 reviews on Trustpilot.
Fizber is available in all states.
5. Flat Fee Realty: Non-standard Packages, No Credible Reviews
Flat Fee Realty offers affordable Flat Fee MLS listing packages nationwide. However, the lack of customer reviews doesn’t make a strong case for this FSBO website.
Packages: Flat Fee Realty typically offers only ONE For Sale By Owner MLS listing package. The rate varies nationwide and is typically between $179 to $299. To upload more than 6 photos you have to pay an additional $50.
Additional Fees: You have to pay 0.1% to 0.25% to the listing broker in minimum service states.
👉 Our Take: Flat Fee Realty is one of the cheapest Flat Fee MLS options. But the lack of online customer reviews makes us skeptical about this FSBO site. We recommend researching other Flat Fee MLS companies before setting out on FSBO transactions.
» Flat Fee MLS Companies: Check out our rankings of the best Flat Fee MLS companies
- One of the cheapest options for Flat Fee MLS
- Your listing comes with state-wise seller disclosures
- Free listing changes
- Only 6 photos with the basic package
- No customization or a la carte options
- Does not offer any assistance in pricing or contract
Flat Fee Realty is available nationwide.
6. ISoldMyHouse.com: Fast Listing, Limited Coverage
I Sold My House gets FSBO sellers on the MLS for a flat fee. They have nationwide coverage but offer very few a la carte options.
Packages: ISoldMyHouse.com offers two For Sale By Owner MLS listing packages:
- Get Listed – $299: Your house gets listed on the MLS with 6 photos.
- Get Sold – $399: You get an extended limit of professional photos, up to 25 photos.
👉 Our Take: ISoldMyHouse listing packages are relatively expensive for the services that they offer.
» ISoldMyHouse.com Reviews: Everything you need to know
- You save the hefty 3% listing agent commission
- Buyer leads directly forwarded to the home seller
- FSBO home sellers need to market properties themselves
- Customers have complained about their support team’s unresponsiveness
I Sold My House has a 4.7 out of 5 rating on a popular review site, Better Business Bureau.
ISoldMyHouse is available nationwide.
7. Homecoin: 100% Online, High Additional Fees
Homecoin is 100% online and offers one of the most affordable Flat Fee MLS packages. However, they charge very hidden fees at closing and have limited coverage.
Package: Homecoin offers 1 MLS listing package.
- Basic Package – $95 + a la carte charges: Your house gets listed for 12 months with 25+ photos. You can make up to 10 free listing changes. Additionally, you get free calls and email forwarding. You have to pay $450 for seller disclosures and $79 for a for-sale-by-owner yard sign.
🚩 Hidden Fees: $450 to $2,999 at closing.
👉 Our Take: Selling For Sale By Owner with Homecoin can be expensive due to high-priced supplementary services like seller disclosures, and critical FSBO utilities.
» Homecoin Reviews: Is $95 Listing Fee too Good to be True?
- FSBO listing
- Limited coverage
- Extra charges for state disclosures
- Inflated rates for critical FSBO utilities
- High hidden fees
Homecoin has a 4.7 out of 5-star rating with 41 reviews on the popular review website Google.
👎 Limited Coverage: Homecoin only provides services in California, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Wisconsin is the latest anticipated market where Homecoin will offer its deceptive Flat Fee MLS services.
👍 Rankings of Local For Sale By Owner Listing Services: Review our rankings of local Flat Fee MLS companies in these states & choose the best Flat Fee FSBO MLS platform for your FSBO sale:
- For Sale By Owner MLS California: See our rankings of Flat Fee FSBO MLS Companies in California
- For Sale By Owner MLS Florida: See our rankings of Flat Fee FSBO MLS Companies in Florida
- For Sale By Owner MLS Georgia: See our rankings of Flat Fee FSBO MLS Companies in Georgia
- For Sale By Owner MLS Michigan: See our rankings of Flat Fee FSBO MLS Companies in Michigan
- For Sale By Owner MLS Missouri: See our rankings of Flat Fee FSBO MLS Companies in Missouri
- For Sale By Owner MLS New York: See our rankings of Flat Fee FSBO MLS Companies in New York
- For Sale By Owner MLS North Carolina: See our rankings of Flat Fee FSBO MLS Companies in North Carolina
- For Sale By Owner MLS South Carolina: See our rankings of Flat Fee FSBO MLS Companies in South Carolina
Reviews: 5 Best Free FSBO Sites
You can do For Sale By Owner for free with free FSBO sites. These sites offer online exposure but don’t guarantee a successful FSBO home sale.
8. ForSaleByOwner.com: Limited Exposure, Outdated Tech
ForSaleByOwner.com was the biggest For Sale By Owner website in America before it got acquired by Rocket Homes. It is now a lead generation engine for Rocket’s brokerage and lending businesses. ForSaleByOwner.com still features as one of the best free FSBO sites but it has lost its significance over time.
Packages: ForSaleByOwner.com has 2 FSBO packages.
- ‘Do It Yourself” FSBO Package – $0: You get an FSBO listing on ForSaleByOwner.com only.
- ‘Closing Assistance’ Package – $1,199: You get a licensed real estate advisor to assist you in the FSBO home sale process.
👉 Our Take: With Forsalebyowner.com’s free FSBO listing your property gets minimum exposure. Instead of a $0 FSBO listing, we recommend you choose a more affordable Flat Fee MLS listing company to get on the MLS.
» ForSaleByOwner.com Reviews: Check out in-depth reviews of ForSaleByOwner.com
- Nationwide coverage
- Great search feature for home buyers
- Limited exposure for your property
- Weak & outdated technology
- Solicitation calls from thousands of listing agents
- No access to the MLS until you sign up with a listing agent
👎 Zero Customer Reviews: ForSaleByOwner.com has no customer reviews on popular review sites like Google or Trustpilot.
👍 Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo has a stellar rating of 5.0 stars on Google and 4.9 stars on Trustpilot with thousands of reviews
ForSaleByOwner.com is available nationwide.
9. Zillow.com: You’ll Become a Lead for Agents
You can list For Sale By Owner on Zillow which attracts more than 200 million monthly visitors. This offers excellent exposure to your FSBO properties. However, Zillow’s FSBO listings have a very poor success rate.
Packages: Zillow offers a free listing on their website; all you need to do is create an account on Zillow.com.
- FSBO Listing on Zillow – $0: You get an FSBO listing on Zillow.com.
- MLS Listing via Zillow Premier Agent – 3%: You get a traditional full-service agent. This package is not meant for FSBO sellers, as it is an agent-assisted home selling process.
🚩 You No Control Over the Sale: Zillow hides FSBO listings under the “Other Listings” section making it difficult for home buyers to view your FSBO listing.
👉 Our Take: With a Zillow listing you are restricted to buyers visiting Zillow.com. To attract more potential buyers get on the MLS using other FSBO options.
» Zillow Reviews: The TRUTH about Zillow’s Free Listing
- Largest real estate website in the US
- Free listing on Zillow.com
- All new listings on Zillow, changes to existing Zillow listings, etc. are updated in real-time
- Hides FSBO seller listings by default
- Buyer leads are forwarded to member agents instead of sellers
- Unwanted solicitation calls from listing agents
- If you are interested in listing on MLS, you will be connected with a Zillow Premier Agent and pay high listing fees $$$
- Poor customer reviews and record-breaking debacles, as seen on Trustpilot.
Zillow has a poor rating of 1.7 out of 5 stars with 251 reviews on Trustpilot.
Zillow covers 90% of the USA housing market and is available nationwide.
10. Craigslist: Basic Home Hunting Features, Potential Scams
Craigslist is the biggest classified website in the U.S. Homes listed on Craigslist gain decent exposure. However, Craigslist is infamous for unscrupulous users and false offers.
Packages: Craigslist offers a free FSBO listing on its website.
- FSBO Listing on Craigslist- $0: Your property gets listed with some photos and a brief property description.
🚩 Beware of Scams: Your FSBO home is exposed to scammers and fraud cash offers from home buying companies.
👉 Our Take: Craigslist attracts 50 million visits but doesn’t help with control over the FSBO transaction. You could invite lowball offers from investors or illegitimate offers from scammers. We recommend you consider other alternatives.
» How to Sell an FSBO House on Craigslist: Read to know more about Craigslist listings
- Free FSBO listing
- Ideal for low-baller investors
- Infamous for fraud reports
- Not the best marketplace to sell your FSBO property
- Rudimentary map search feature
Craigslist has a poor rating of 1.3 out of 5 stars with 267 reviews on Trustpilot.
Craigslist is available nationwide & in 70+ countries globally.
11. Oodle Marketplace: Decent Exposure, Poor Ratings
Oodle Marketplace gives decent exposure to your FSBO property. However, Oodle is known for unscrupulous users and phony offers.
Packages: Oodle offers a free property listing on its website.
- FSBO Listing on Oodle’s Marketplace- $0: You get a basic FSBO listing that includes some photos and a brief description of your property
🚩 Beware of Scams: Oodle exposes you to scammers and phony offers. Rationally evaluate all offers that seem too good to be true. Never sign any documents related to your home, especially the Property Title.
👉 Our Take: Oodle Marketplace provides exposure for the properties but doesn’t help you succeed in the FSBO transaction. You could fall prey to scammers. We recommend you consider other alternatives.
» Best For Sale By Owner MLS Companies: Check out the best paid FBSO MLS companies in the U.S
- Free FSBO listing
- Online exposure for FSBO property
- Infamous for fraud reports & scams related to buyers, offers, and pets
- No support for listing management
- Not the best marketplace to sell your FSBO property
- Elementary map search feature with limited features
Oodle Marketplace has a subpar rating of 1.27 out of 5 stars on SiteJabber. The free listing may provide exposure for your FSBO property, but you must tread carefully.
Oodle Marketplace is available nationwide & in 5+ countries globally.
12. Facebook Marketplace: Limited Exposure, No FSBO Tools
Facebook Marketplace can be used as an FSBO marketing channel to gain immense exposure. However, you won’t get tools like showings and offer management tools needed for a successful home sale.
Packages: Facebook Marketplace offers free listing on its platform.
- FSBO Listing on Facebook – $0: You can list your FSBO property with some photos and property details.
🚩 Potential Privacy Attack: Listing your home FSBO on Facebook exposes you to billions of users, including shady people with illegitimate offers. Attackers will harm your data if it isn’t protected.
👉 Our Take: Facebook Marketplace has a limited market in real estate. You won’t have any FSBO tools to help you in the sale. In 2022’s excruciatingly slow market, we do not recommend listing For Sale By Owner on Facebook Marketplace.
» Best Real Estate Websites: Skip listing on Facebook and consider these 12 best real estate websites for your FSBO sale
- Free FSBO ad for your listing
- Renowned space with over billions of users globally
- Limited exposure to FSBO properties
- Limited FSBO-specific tools
- Market your property for free
Facebook Marketplace offers nationwide coverage.
👉 NOTE: 95% of home buyers use the internet to find their next house, so as a smart home seller, you should consider listing on free FSBO websites.
FSBO Sites to Avoid
Some companies pretend to be “For Sale By Owner”. They may also advertise themselves as a “free resource”. In reality, you’ll pay hefty fees and commissions at closing with these firms. We’ve highlighted a few:
1. Flat Fee Group
Flat Fee Group is a nationwide Flat Fee MLS company that provides For Sale By Owner MLS service. Pricing and service vary quite drastically by state. You will not know the full pricing terms till you review the listing agreement.
We recommend you review the listing agreement carefully if you choose Flat Fee Group. In addition, be sure to check the reviews of the independent broker Flat Fee Group refers you to before involving them in your FSBO transactions.
» Flat Fee Group Reviews: Everything you NEED TO KNOW about this referral company
2. Clever Real Estate
Clever Real Estate advertises itself as free and as an FSBO resource. That is false. Clever is neither free nor is it a For Sale By Owner website.
If you choose Clever, you will be forced to use an agent. In addition, 25% to 40% of the commission you pay will be kicked-back to Clever as a “Referral Fee”.
» Reviews of Clever Real Estate: Read our full review of Clever Real Estate
For Sale By Owner: Meaning, MLS Listing, Benefits
What does For Sale By Owner Mean?
For Sale By Owner or FSBO (pronounced “fizz-bo” or “fisbo”) refers to the process of selling a house without a realtor. The home seller is responsible for the entire sale process, including listing, showing, hosting open houses, negotiating offers, and closing.
How does For Sale By Owner Work?
When selling For Sale By Owner, the home seller takes on the responsibilities of the listing agent. This means that FSBO marketing, prospecting plan, negotiating, and closing – the FSBO home seller controls everything.
For Sale By Owner: Pros and Cons
Let’s evaluate the pros and cons of selling For Sale By Owner.
For Sale By Owner Benefits
✅ Save Thousands Of Dollars: You will save thousands in commission. In addition, sellers retain full control of the sale, given that there are no middlemen.
✅ Full Control over the Transaction: When you sell FSBO, you take command of the transaction. Essentially, as the homeowner, you self-represent your property instead of dealing with a listing agent.
Disadvantages of For Sale By Owner
❌ FSBO requires time and effort: When you sell For Sale By Owner, you are the sole person responsible for marketing your house, listing paperwork, etc. If you aren’t methodical about your FSBO prospecting and marketing, your days on the market increase.
❌ Negotiating offers can be challenging: Whether you are a first-time or experienced home seller, negotiating offers can be tough. Several contingencies may also hamper the FSBO transaction.
❌ No access to MLS: On the flip side, without a Realtor, you will have no access to the MLS. The MLS is the most powerful tool in real estate. Listings on the MLS sold for 17% more, and they sold faster. You will also be responsible for FSBO paperwork.
✍️Pro Tip: A For Sale By Owner MLS Listing gives you access to the MLS and lets you save thousands in commission.
💲 Skip the 3% Listing Agent Commission
List your home yourself with Houzeo technology for a flat fee of $349!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
What is the MLS?
MLS, or the Multiple Listing System, is a local database real estate agent uses to list a property for sale. Only licensed real estate agents have access to the MLS.
- 💡 FACT: Houzeo technology will auto-select the local MLS for your FSBO listing based on the location of your property.
What is a For Sale By Owner MLS Listing?
Only licensed real estate agents have access to the MLS. Flat Fee MLS, entry-only services like Houzeo allow FSBO home sellers to access the MLS for a small flat fee. This is called a For Sale By Owner MLS listing.
When the home seller opts for a For Sale By Owner MLS listing, the Flat Fee MLS listing agent just lists the property on the MLS. The home seller controls everything else. An FSBO MLS listing is also called an “entry-only” MLS listing; a “sell your home yourself” MLS listing or a do-it-yourself (DIY) MLS listing.
A For Sale By Owner MLS listing is the fastest way to get listed on the MLS. Typical Flat Fee MLS services charge around $400 to get you listed.
» For Sale By Owner MLS: Houzeo is the fastest FSBO MLS listing service!
How to List For Sale By Owner on MLS?
With a For Sale By Owner MLS listing website, you can access the MLS. When you choose to list on the MLS by owner, you only pay a small upfront fee instead of paying the full listing agent commission.
Next-gen platforms like Houzeo.com have digitized listing management such that you can do more in fewer clicks.
» How to list a property on MLS: Here’s how to get listed on the MLS in 24 to 48 hours!
Benefits of a For Sale By Owner MLS Listing
✅ Maximum Exposure
All FSBO MLS listings get syndicated to Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, and hundreds of other websites.
✅ Marketing to Buyer Agents
90% of home sales involve buyer agents with access to the MLS. Thus, MLS is the most efficient way to market to buyer agents.
Attracting More Buyer Agents: MLS’ allows you to incentivize buyer agents with a competitive commission. Buyer agents are involved in most transactions, allowing you to attract top-dollar for your property.
✅ Faster Home Sale
Listings on the MLS sold faster and for 17% more than those not on the MLS. When selling For Sale By Owner, ignoring the power of the MLS would be exceptionally foolish.
✅ Getting Cash Offers
Cash home buyers track the MLS for properties. This includes iBuyers like Opendoor and Offerpad, and “We Buy Houses for Cash” companies, including real estate investors and house flippers.
Where Can I List My Home For Sale By Owner?
You can list your house For Sale By Owner on FSBO sites like Houzeo, Fizber, and Flat MLS Fee Realty. Some FSBO sites have paid plans, while some of them offer seemingly “free” services. Understand the difference between the paid and free FSBO sites before you conclude which of them is ideal for your For Sale By Owner home sale.
Here are two types of For Sale By Owner (FSBO) websites:
1. Paid FSBO Websites
A paid FSBO website provides access to the MLS for an upfront flat fee, typically a few hundred dollars. High-tech For Sale By Owner websites like Houzeo.com let you list on the MLS for $349.
You can skip the 3% listing agent commission by paying a fraction of the cost if you choose a paid For Sale By Owner website.
2. Free FSBO Websites
A free FSBO listing website will only amplify online exposure. You don’t need to spend a dime from listing your property to getting listing updates! The only catch is the website’s monetization model, “advertising.” So, you are a “lead” for that company’s marketing team.
Free FSBO sites will only amplify property exposure, so there’s no guarantee that your For Sale By Owner transaction will happen. Free For Sale By Owner listings cannot guarantee max exposure to buyers.
How Long Does it Take to Sell a Home By Owner?
It depends on the season. Usually, home selling & buying begin in March and continue well into September.
Listings on the MLS sell faster by 17% than those that were not on the MLS. When selling For Sale By Owner, we do not recommend ignoring the power of the MLS.
- 💡 FACT: With high-tech FSBO sites like Houzeo.com, you can finish the listing formalities for your FSBO home within 60 minutes.
For Sale By Owner Marketing
Listing on the MLS will bring immense exposure to your FSBO property, but that’s not the only way to market your home. Here are 8 For Sale By Owner marketing tips to consider:
|8 Creative Ways to Market Your For Sale By Owner Property|
|1. List Your Home on FSBO Websites|
|2. Install a For Sale Yard Sign|
|3. Utilize the Power of Social Media|
|4. Create a Virtual Tour|
|5. Host Open Houses|
|6. Collaborate with local influencers in the real estate niche|
|7. Invest in old-school marketing tricks like flyers|
|8. Advertise Your FSBO Home With Google Ads|
» Creative Ways to Market Your Home: 18 unique marketing tactics for a successful FSBO sale
For Sale By Owner Yard Signs
Installing an FSBO yard sign on your lawn would be a cost-effective, no-brainer marketing tactic. The combination of compelling colors with legible text will attract the attention of potential buyers & buyer agents!
» For Sale By Owner Signs: Check out America’s best FSBO yard signs
Marketing your For Sale By Owner property can be challenging. But, imagine how many dollars you’ll save in real estate agent commissions, which is a remarkable feat in the face of the impending recession.
Every $ matters!
🏡 You Know Your Home More Than Anyone
Assume full control of your FSBO home sale and skip 3% listing commission with Houzeo’s technology!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
Selling your house by owner will never be leisurely. Let’s look at the common FSBO Challenges:
1. Inaccurate Pricing of the FSBO Property
Determining the appropriate listing price of your property is the key to getting success as For Sale By Owner.
A recent study from early August 2022 states that homes are either closing within a couple of days or not receiving an offer. This can be interpreted as: home buyers make an offer for homes listed at an accurate market value. Home buyers are not making an offer for homes listed at inflated rates.
If your property’s listing price is too high or too low, you might not get a top dollar rate for your house. Inaccurate pricing will also increase days on the market.
» How to Price Your Home: 6 steps to price your home for a successful FSBO sale
2. Challenging FSBO Paperwork
Selling or buying a home is perhaps the most significant thing one can do in life, and the paperwork is likely so.
- 💡 FACT: Houzeo collates the FSBO paperwork for you as soon as you share the property location on the platform. The listing paperwork has been intuitively digitized with help articles along the way, auto-population of some data fields based on tax records of your state, etc.
3. Devoting Sufficient Time for the FSBO Sale
This is the crux. As a self-representing home seller, you must dedicate enough time for the For Sale By Owner transaction. You will be responsible for prepping your house, marketing, showings, open house schedules, negotiating offers, etc.
If you neglect any aspect of FSBO marketing, you may not be able to get 100% Fair Market Value of your property.
For Sale By Owner Paperwork
Whether buying a dream home or selling your property, you can’t close the deal in friendly “banter.”
There has to be a legally binding contract in place so that the real estate transaction doesn’t fall through. FSBO Paperwork includes For Sale By Owner documents such as Title, mandatory Seller Disclosures, Inspection Reports, etc.
An important part of the FSBO paperwork is the Title Document. The Title document indicates that the home seller has sold their property to the buyer, and the buyer is now the legal owner.
» For Sale By Owner Paperwork: Everything you need to know
For Sale By Owner Contract
A For Sale By Owner Contract is an integral part of FSBO Paperwork.
The purchase agreement and seller disclosure forms can be found online for free, so your job as an FSBO home seller gets easier.
Who Draws up Contract in For Sale By Owner?
The For Sale By Owner Contract is a significant part of your FSBO sale. This legal document deals with owner-to-owner real estate property transactions. It also includes all the information that’ll help protect your legal rights.
» For Sale By Owner Contract: Everything you need to know about an FSBO Contract
For Sale By Owner Closing Costs
Although the home sellers save thousands on listing agent commissions, some fees are associated with selling a house. These are related to home inspection, appraisals, home staging, real estate photography, etc.
How Much Does it Cost to Sell a House by Owner?
When you choose an FSBO website, the fees to sell a house include the upfront Flat Fee, typically $349, and expenses incurred during the property’s marketing. A For Sale By Owner transaction includes multiple costs.
FSBO-specific costs are:
- Appraisal: Professional appraisal will help you accurately price your FSBO home.
- Photography: Aesthetically appealing photos were found useful by 87% of home buyers.
- Marketing: Everything related to making the property visible to potential buyers, such as yard signs, newspaper ads, etc.
- FSBO MLS Listing: Fees related to listing the home on the open market. If you opt for a Flat Fee MLS Service, the fees lie between $299 and $499.
- Sales Contract: Getting the FSBO Contract reviewed by a real estate attorney will only cost around $300 to $500 but prevent any unwanted legal issues.
Some optional FSBO expenses are Property Survey/Land Survey, Marketing costs, Home Staging expenses, Exterior paint, etc.
» For Sale By Owner Closing Costs: Everything you need to know about an FSBO Closing Costs
Who Pays Closing Costs When Selling a House by Owner?
Home sellers, usually.
Most closing costs are negotiable and can be split between parties, like property tax, inspection fee, etc. Some closing costs are one-time fees, while others are recurring costs.
» Who Pays Closing Costs When Selling a House For Sale By Owner: Learn who pays closing costs in an FSBO transaction
For Sale By Owner Closing Costs Calculator
Home sellers usually look to save money when considering For Sale By Owner. If the closing costs end up cannibalizing the home sale proceeds, you may regret selling your home.
If you estimate the FSBO closing costs beforehand, you can plan the home sale better & ensure you don’t encounter unnecessary deficits.
» Calculate FSBO Closing Costs: Using Houzeo’s Advanced Closing Costs Calculator, you can calculate closing costs on your home for FREE!
For Sale By Owner Checklist: 7 Tips to Sell Fast
|1. Find the best time to sell||Know what time of the year brings you the best offers with minimal days on market|
|2. Price your house competitively||Research the industry trends and local home sale prices to determine a competitive pricing range for your property|
|3. Declutter & Depersonalize||Make repairs, decorate, and organize to increase the curb appeal|
|4. Upload professional photos||Invest in professional photography, and upload aesthetically pleasing house photos on MLS, social media, or FSBO websites|
|5. List on MLS||Finding sites that offer Flat Fee MLS services to FSBO home sellers for maximum exposure|
|6. Offer competitive Buyer Agent Commission||Offering a competitive buyer agent commission ensures the best offers from willing buyers|
|7. Market on social media||Using social media tools like Facebook & Instagram to run ads and reach the right audience|
» How to Sell My House Fast: Check out the Best Options to Sell Your Home Quickly!
Buying a Home For Sale By Owner
Even in 2022’s slowing market, buying your dream home remains one of the significant events in life, behind death and medical insurance.
While 90% of home buyers are represented by a real estate agent or buyer’s agent, the maverick FSBO home buyers exist. Let’s look at how For Sale By Owner works when you are buying a property.
Buying a House For Sale by Owner: Pros and Cons
✅ Direct contact with the home seller
✅ Unrepresented buyers can save a full 6% commission
✅ Meticulous, in-depth property details
❌ Inflated listing prices of FSBO homes
❌ Unreliable seller disclosures
How to Buy a For Sale by Owner Home?
Buying an FSBO house may seem alarming, but the right For Sale By Owner website can make the journey bearable. Before we look at the best FSBO sites for buyers, let’s look at the typical journey of buying an FSBO home:
- Keep your finances ready: Whether it’s a home loan approval letter or selling an existing property, you should get the necessary approvals to put in your offer.
- Shortlist For Sale By Owner properties: You can find For Sale By Owner Listings on various FSBO websites like Houzeo, Zillow, FSBO.com, and more. Browse through these online FSBO properties and shortlist the ones that meet your requirements.
- Schedule property showings: Arrange for a visit to the shortlisted For Sale By Owner homes and inspect the property inside-out. This is also a great opportunity to meet the seller and get acquainted with your potential dream home.
Houses For Sale By Owner Near Me
FSBO may not be a good idea if you are confident you won’t give enough time to your FSBO sale. Let’s take a look at some of the FSBO alternatives.
For Sale By Owner Alternatives
We didn’t just stop at the best FSBO sites. We’ve compiled the best alternatives to FSBO for you.
1. List with a Full-Service Real Estate Broker
A full-service in-person broker is a real estate professional that provides all services for the buyer and seller for a commission of 3%-6%. Luxury real estate brokers may charge more than 6%.
» Top Real Estate Brokers: We’ve ranked the best real estate brokers in America
2. Hire a Discount Real Estate Broker
A flat rate or discount real estate broker offers all the services of a traditional broker for a discounted flat rate. This can range anywhere between $400 to $8,000.
» Discount Real Estate Brokers: Check out our rankings of the best discount real estate brokers in America
3. Low Commission Real Estate Agents
A low-commission real estate agent can get you listed and sold for a discounted commission. There are trade-offs typically, including a lower level of service or only virtual consultation.
» Low Commission Real Estate Agents: Check out our rankings of the best low commission agents
4. Companies that Buy Houses for Cash
Real Estate Companies that buy houses for cash are real estate buyers who make direct cash offers on homes. Cash buyers let home sellers skip the hassle of listing on the MLS, staging, marketing, etc.
» Companies That Buy Houses for Cash: Check out our rankings of the best cash home buyers in 2022
Should I Sell My House For Sale By Owner?
But you should supplement your FSBO listing with an MLS listing. You save thousands on commission with a For Sale By Owner MLS listing. You also retain full control of your sale. And you get the power of the MLS to market your home to buyers and buyer agents.
With new age For Sale By Owner websites like Houzeo.com, you’ll be guided through the FSBO sale process. Houzeo technology limits any downsides of a pure FSBO sale.
FAQ: For Sale By Owner Questions
1. Am I considered a For Sale By Owner, if I purchase a Flat Fee MLS listing?
No, you are not considered a For Sale By Owner if you purchase a Flat Fee MLS listing. A Flat Fee MLS listing involves a listing agent to get you on the MLS. Thus, a Flat Fee MLS listing goes against selling FSBO, which involves no listing agent.
2. Are there closing costs when you sell a home For Sale By Owner?
Yes, you have to bear the closing costs when selling a home For Sale By Owner. The FSBO closing costs consist of broker commission, mortgage payoff, recording fees, transfer tax, title insurance, home insurance fees, HOA fees, and document fees. Seller closing costs vary across states and counties, so ensure to do your research.
3. Is For Sale By Owner worth it?
Yes, For Sale By Owner is worth it. Home sellers save thousands in listing agent commissions and have maximum control over the transaction.
4. Where to list a For Sale By Owner house?
You can list For Sale By Owner either on free FSBO sites like Zillow, Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace or opt for paid sites like Houzeo.com, Beycome, and Homecoin.
What is the best For Sale By Owner site?
The following are the best For Sale By Owner sites:
5. Flat Fee Realty
5. What is For Sale By Owner?
For Sale by Owner is the process of selling your home without an agent or broker. FSBO home sellers interact directly with the buyer agents or buyers.
6. Where can I list my house For Sale By Owner for free?
You can list your house For Sale By Owner for free on Zillow, ForSaleByOwner.com, Trulia, and Craigslist. They have a monthly footfall of millions and give your FSBO property good exposure. However, their FSBO listing success rate is very low.
7. Is For Sale By Owner a good idea?
Yes, For Sale By Owner is a good idea. With an FSBO home sale, you save thousands in the listing agent commission and have maximum control over the transaction. Opt for a "For Sale By Owner MLS Listing" to get listed on hundreds of real estate websites besides MLS.
- How to Sell My House Fast: Selling a house in America takes approximately 90 days from list to close. And that’s only if you get offers fast and there are no hiccups in home inspection, appraisal, and closing. Here’s how you can sell your house fast and for more cash.
- Selling a House: Selling a house in the United States is complex and requires a good understanding of the real estate market.
- Closing Costs: What are the closing costs as a seller? See what’s the real cost and how you can negotiate in your closing costs as a seller.
- Best Real Estate Websites: The majority of homebuyers and home sellers go through a real estate website before reaching out to a realtor. Read our list of the top 12 real state websites in USA.
Related: for sale by owners websites, “for sale by owner”, websites for sale by owner, best for sale by owner websites, for-sale-by-owner website, list of for sale by owner websites best site for fsbo, free fsbo sites, free listing sites for sale by owner, questions to ask for sale by owner, forsalebyowner, for sale.by owner, forsale by owner, for sale by owner house, for sale by owners, condos for sale by owner, homes for sale by owner, house buying websites, houses for sale near me by owner, home buying sites, home for sale by owner, homes for sale by owner near me, for sale by owner, private homes for sale by owner, real estate for sale by owner, homes for sale by owners, house for sale by owner near me, owners selling houses, how to find houses, for sale by owner, housing for sale by owner, home inspector, Realtors, selling a house as is
for sale by owner listing on the mls, for sale by owner home listings, for sale by owner sites, for sale by owner website reviews, houzeo reviews, zillow reviews, fizber reviews, owners.com reviews, 4salebyowner.com reviews, trulia reviews, houzeo reviews, fsbo reviews, fsbo.com reviews, fizber.com reviews, owners reviews, forsalebyowner, forsalebyowner reviews, forsalebyowner.com reviews, for sale by owner property listings, for sale by owner websites like craigslist, for sale by owner free listing, homes for sale by owner websites, for sale by owner with buyer agent
for sale by owner websites free, for sale by owner house websites, free listing homes for sale, free fsbo listings, best for sale by owner mls listing service, best mls listing site, best mls site, mls for sale by owner, best mls listing sites, mls for sale by owner reviews, do it yourself mls listing, for sale by owner mls listing service reviews, where to advertise house for sale by owner, free home listing, best place to list your home for sale by owner, sell your home yourself websites, for sale by owner home listings, listing a house for sale by owner, list my house for sale for free, best place to sell house online, where can i list my house for sale, sites to list house for sale by owner