In this hot market, 77% of the FSBO homes sell in less than two weeks. More Americans than ever are selling their homes without a Realtor.
» Jump To:
- Can I sell my house without a Realtor?
- Is it difficult?
- Pros & cons
- 9 steps to selling without a Realtor
- Ways of selling without an agent
- Final word
Can I Sell My House Without a Realtor?
Yes, you can sell your house without a Realtor. With high-tech selling platforms like Houzeo, it is easier than ever!
77% of the FSBO homes are sold in less than two weeks. 36% of Millennials, 26% of Gen Xers, 22% of Boomers, and 19% of Silent Gen are selling their houses without an agent.
Is it Hard to Sell a House Without a Realtor?
No. With today’s technology, selling a house without an agent or Realtor is now easier than ever. Key steps in selling a home without a realtor are:
- Pricing: Pricing is an art and a science, but it’s way easier than you think. Click here to learn to price your home competitively.
- Marketing: MLS is the most powerful tool in an agent’s arsenal. But now, you have access to it too! Click here to know how you can list your home on the MLS without a Realtor.
- Paperwork: Real estate transactions involve extensive paperwork. Click here to learn to handle the paperwork.
- Negotiations: Knowing how to counter an offer and request highest-and-best offers is critical. Click here to see how Houzeo makes it easy for you to counter and ask for the highest & best!
Houzeo is one of America’s top For Sale by Owner and flat fee MLS companies. Many Flat Fee MLS companies do have high hidden costs – buyer beware.
💸 Looking For a Company With No Hidden Fees?
Houzeo discloses all the fees upfront so you have no surprises at closing!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
Why Should I Sell My House Without A Realtor?
American home sellers spend around $25,722 on real estate commission (based on median home values). That can get you an exotic vacation, pay for your kid’s college education, or buy you a new truck!
You can save these hefty commissions by selling your own house without a Realtor.
Pros and Cons of Selling a House Without a Realtor
It is best to know both, the risks as well as the benefits of selling your house on your own.
👍 Pros of Selling Your Home Without a Realtor
- Savings on Commission: Selling your house without a Realtor can result in listing commission savings of 2.5 % to 3%.
- Speed to Market: Tech companies like Houzeo will get you on the market within 24-48 hours or faster!
- Control Over Transaction: By interacting directly with the buyer or buyer agent, you reduce intermediaries. This makes the process quicker and simpler.
👎 Cons of Selling Your Own Home Without a Realtor
🚀 Blast Past Paperwork With Houzeo
Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish the listing formalities in <60 mins. Start NOW!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
9 Steps to Selling a House Without a Realtor
1. Determine the Best Time to Sell Your House
The home-buying season starts in late spring and runs throughout the summer, peaking somewhere in the months of June and July. Selling during these months can help you fetch premiums of 10% or more.
21% of the homes are listed on a Thursday. Homes listed on Thursday tend to sell quickly and are more likely to sell above the list price.
So the best time is June or July on a Thursday. That said, never try to time the market. Interest rates are going up, and the economy is facing headwinds. So the best time to sell your house is when you’re ready.
Real estate commissions are declining, and if you’re selling without a realtor, you’ll net substantial savings.
2. Price Your House Competitively
Generally, real estate agents prepare a Comparative Marketing Analysis (CMA) to help sellers come up with a listing price.
Whether you’re selling a home without a Realtor or not, the listing price is crucial for attracting a wide pool of buyers.
Try not to over or under-price your house. Under pricing will lead to a lot of counter-offering whereas, overpricing would attract very few buyers.
- 🎯 Remember: The purpose of the LIST PRICE is to DRIVE TRAFFIC to your listing. It’s not your SALE PRICE!!!
3. Prep Your House For Sale
Prepping your house for sale is more than just cleaning your house.
Try to create a visually appealing first look. You can achieve this by depersonalizing your home and deep cleaning every nook.
Minor repairs like fixing a squeaky doorknob can go a long way in positively impacting potential buyers. You can further improve the overall look by painting your house in neutral colors and adding more lights.
- ✍️ Pro Tip: You may also consider hiring a professional stager. They can make your house look more spacious and neat. A professional stager charges around $300 to $600 for consultation.
4. Hire a Professional Photographer
Homes photographed professionally sell 32% faster.
Photos of the property are generally the first thing that the buyers see in a listing. Make sure you have good-quality professional photos attached to your listing.
» Real Estate Photography: Creating Your Best Listing Photos
📷 Upload Maximum Photos With Houzeo
Houzeo’s Gold Flat Fee Listing package allows you to upload the maximum number of photos on MLS.
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
5. List on the MLS
Homes listed on the MLS sell faster and for 17% more. That doesn’t mean you need to hire a listing agent or pay that extra commission.
Simply, try to make your listing more appealing with crafty listing descriptions, professional photos, etc. Use for sale by owner websites to list your home and offer a competitive buyer agent commission. That’ll have you in good stead to get top-dollar for your property.
👉 How To List On MLS: Learn how to list on the MLS like a pro!
6. Market Your Property
Apart from listing your property on the MLS, there are other powerful ways of marketing your property. They are the following:
|1.||Get a Yard Sign||Opting for a yard sign can be a good investment when selling your house yourself. It can help in attracting buyers from the neighborhood. |
On a crowded street, an attractive yard sign can drive the attention of potential buyers. Houzeo custom yard sign is $49 only, and it’s FREE with a selfie!
✍️ Pro Tip: Securing a buyer from a yard can also help you save buyer agent commission. Well worth the $49 investment!
|2.||Share Your Listing on Social Media||Share your Houzeo listing on social media sites. It includes your contact info. If you share Zillow or Redfin listings, all the leads your listing generates will be sold to buyer agents who’ll demand a competitive buyer agent commission. |
Houzeo doesn’t sell your information or leads. All buyer leads see your contact info, so you might save the buyer agent commission.
✍️ Pro Tip: If you secure a buyer from social sharing, you might also save on the buyer agent commission.
|3.||Print Sales Flyers/Brochures||Have flyers and/or brochures readily available to give people who look at your house. |
Include property specifics: property description, sale price, property address, and your contact details.
✍️ Pro Tip: Act like a real estate professional: answer calls, be flexible about showings, hold open houses, and don’t take criticism seriously.
|4.||Run ads||If you want to sell your home without a Realtor, you may also want to run ads on print and social media sites. You can post ads on Craigslist as well. |
» More: How to Sell a House on Craigslist
» Creative Ways To Market A House: Discover Unique of Marketing Your House For Sale
7. Manage Showings
Answer a call, discuss available times, and pencil down a showing. Then discuss access instructions – Yuck!
Using a showing management tool will make it much simpler. Online showing scheduling tools provide buyers and buyer agents with a frictionless way to request and schedule showings. Cutting-edge showing technologies, like Houzeo Showings, also feature ways for buyers and buyer agents to provide feedback on your listing.
🗓️ Houzeo Showings: See how the industry’s most advanced showing management tool works
Introducing the Houzeo Mobile App!
- View your listing
- Manage your showings online
- Review and compare offers
- Counter an offer
- NEW! Buyers can now search your property and save it in “Favorites”
8. Negotiate Offers
Though you are selling your home without a Realtor, the basics of what to do when you get offers remain the same – accept, decline, or ignore the offers (not recommended).
We suggest reviewing all offers on all their merits, and never ignoring one. Even if it’s a low-ball offer, you should counter with what you would accept. Where you are sure you don’t want to counter or accept, just politely decline.
Countering an offer, or calling for the highest & best offer are 2 advanced tactics in every real estate agent’s arsenal. When selling your homes without an agent, home sellers need to learn these 2 tactics.
Most companies will give you complex forms to counter an offer, or to request the highest & best. Houzeo has digitized these features. So, you can counter or ask for the highest & best offers with just a few clicks! That’s selling a house made easy.
💰 Manage Your Offers Like a Pro
With Houzeo, you can review, counter, compare, and even request highest and best offers!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
9. Close on Your House
Closing or the settlement process in every state is handled by a settlement agent – an attorney, an escrow, or a title company.
Even though you will have your closing agents, you have to take care of a few things while selling a home without a Realtor. This includes:
A clear title and a meticulous transfer are key to a real estate transaction. Title insurance protects you if there is any problem related to the prior ownership of the property. It makes you whole in case of a legal dispute related to the title.
An inspector inspects the property before the home buying process is completed.
They check for any defects/repairs in the property and raise concerns accordingly. This ensures that the buyers don’t have to shell out money in case there are defects in the property which the seller did not highlight.
The average cost of a home inspection in the US is $340.
An appraisal officer does market research and evaluates the price of a specific property. The appraisal manager ensures that a correct price is offered by the seller and as per the market value.
The average home appraisal cost in the US ranges from $375 – $450.
Paperwork For Selling a House Without a Realtor
Documents needed to sell your own home without a Realtor can be categorized into three:
- Real Estate Disclosures: They are a kind of standard checklist form through which sellers can disclose their property’s condition. Every state has its respective real estate laws and prescribed disclosures. Check out our state-related seller’s disclosure blogs to know more about your disclosure requirements while selling your house without an agent.
- Mandatory Documents: There are some documents that all American home sellers have to furnish while selling their homes. They include the HUD, the deed, closing statement, affidavits, purchase agreement, survey papers, the title certificate, and more.
- Possible Additional Documents: These are some additional documents required in the real estate selling process. These can vary from state to state. They generally include loan payoff, HOA documents, proof of repairs, home warranty, etc.
An important factor that can impact the transaction process is the overall costs of the deal.
The transaction is not only about agent commission and sale price, but also includes other costs. These costs vary across states.
They mainly include Realtor commission, transfer tax, real estate attorney fee, title insurance, capital gains tax, etc.
» Closing Cost Calculator: Estimate Your Closing Costs using Houzeo’s Advanced Closing Cost Calculator
How do I Sell My Home Without a Realtor?
You have various pathways when it comes to selling your home without a Realtor. Selecting the right one at the right time can help you save thousands of dollars.
1. Best Way to Sell Your House Without a Realtor: List with Houzeo.com
Houzeo is a tech company that deals in American real estate and aims to improve the home selling experience. More than $3.5 billion worth of properties were listed on Houzeo.com in 2021.
- Listing Fee: $349
- Available nationwide
- 4.9/5.0 (out of 3,109 reviews)
Houzeo, an online real estate tech company, provides an unbeatable combination of maximum savings, cutting-edge technology, and 5-star customer support.
💰 Save 3% Listing Agent Commission: Houzeo’s plans are typically a small flat fee. This will save you thousands. If your buyer is unrepresented, you save the buyer agent commission as well.
📣 Maximum Exposure for Your Home: Your listing will be syndicated to the MLS, Zillow, Realtor.com, Redfin, Trulia, and hundreds of other websites. Houzeo also has nifty social media sharing tools. No other platform gives you this much exposure.
⚡ Fast Listing & Changes: Houzeo is 100% online. You can list your property and make changes quickly. So you can focus on what is most important – your sale.
⭐ You Get a 5-Star Customer Support: Home sellers across America have rated Houzeo 4.9 out of 5 stars on major review sites like Google and Trustpilot. You will have a live person to address all your queries and doubts.
📱 Cutting-edge Technology: By listing with Houzeo you will get access to its cutting edge technology which includes:
- IntelliList Listing Management System: Lets you manage your listing 100% online.
- Houzeo Showings: Manage your showing appointments online.
- Houzeo Offers: All offers are summarized online. You can view and compare offers, or counter an offer. In a multiple-offer situation, you can also call for the highest and best offers.
- Buyer Search: Buyers can contact you directly on Houzeo.com instead of going through a real estate agent.
- Houzeo Settlement Agent Platform: Guides you to your closing.
👉 Why You Should Choose Houzeo? Houzeo.com delivers an unbeatable combination of savings, tech features, and service of any flat fee MLS listing service website we’ve reviewed.
- Nationwide coverage
- Listings get syndicated to Zillow, Realtor.com, Trulia, Redfin, and 100s of other sites
- Quick listing (within 2 business days)
- Savings on commissions
- 100% online – easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers
- Mobile app availability
Houzeo is available nationwide.
» Houzeo Reviews: Should You Sell Your Home With Houzeo’s $349 Plan?
2. Sell Your House Purely For Sale By Owner
It is a DIY approach with no listing agent involved. Sellers have maximum control over the entire process but have to handle all the paperwork with no oversight. Hence, the idea of selling your home FSBO has its drawbacks.
Though you save up on the commission money, you will have to handle everything – listing, marketing, negotiations, closings, etc. – on your own.
❌ Key Downsides of Selling Your House For Sale By Owner:
- No MLS Exposure: MLS is the most important tool an agent has. Selling FSBO means limited exposure, so there will be less competition for your property. That will likely reduce the selling price. One study found that homes on the MLS sold for 17% more than homes, not on the MLS.
- No Help If You Need It: If you need help with paperwork, inspection, negotiation, or closing, you’re on your own.
3. Sell Your House for Cash
Cash home buyers are real estate buyers who make direct cash offers on homes.
They help home sellers skip the hassle of listing on the MLS, marketing, etc.
✅ Key Benefits of Selling Your House for Cash
- Fast Sale: In the case of cash homebuyers, the MLS listing process is eliminated. After submitting details on their website, you’ll get an instant offer and closing can happen as quickly as two weeks.
- Flexible Closing: Many cash home buying companies provide a one-month closing guarantee or even go up to two weeks. The speed of the sale makes these cash house buyers appealing to home sellers in desperate need of liquidity.
❌ Key Downsides of Selling Your House to an Investor
- Non-negotiable Cash Offers: The deal offered by cash home buyers is usually take-it-or-leave-it. Although there may be room for negotiations, you can’t expect more than 70% of the market value of your home.
- Lowball Offers: We buy houses for cash companies generally pay 50% to 70% of the home’s fair market value, deducting all repair, utility, and re-selling expenses.
- ✍️ Pro Tip: Consider selling your home to an iBuyer
iBuyers are companies that will buy your home for cash outright and close quickly.
» Explore: iBuyers Reviews: Selling Your House for Cash in 2022
4. Sell Your Home to an Investor
Investors are people who look to buy your house for investment purposes. They would buy your house for less and then sell it at higher rates to make more profits.
✅ Key Benefits of Selling Your House to an Investor
- “As Is” Sale: Since investors are not interested in living in your house they won’t mind buying it in the existing condition. But the process for selling a house as is without a Realtor is a little different than the traditional sale.
- Fast Closing: Most investors purchase houses all cash, so you can close on your property quickly.
❌ Key Downsides of Selling Your House to an Investor
- Lower Sale Prices: Investors would often pitch you a lowball offer. And in case you are selling your house to a flipper, they would factor in the repair costs while making an offer.
- Possible Scams: Investors are usually not licensed real estate professionals, unlike real estate agents. This leaves sellers susceptible to scams. It is suggested to perform due diligence when considering an investor offer.
The average real estate agent commission in the US is around $25,000. You can save this amount by selling your house without a Realtor using a sophisticated For Sale By Owner platform like Houzeo.
Check out our exclusive video that explains everything you need to know about the platform.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
» NEED MORE CLARITY? Read these exclusive Houzeo reviews and learn why the platform is the best in America’s competitive housing market.
Frequently Asked Questions About How to Sell Your House Without a Realtor
1. How to close on a house without a Realtor?
To close the deal, you need to hire a settlement or a closing agent. They will coordinate signing documents between both parties. They will also verify all the "selling a house without a Realtor paperwork". They will check whether all the conditions of the purchase agreement have been met. And finally, they would pay out all the funds, transfer the title and record the deed.
2. How to sell a house for cash without a Realtor?
Cash home buyers can be a very good option if you wish to sell your home without a Realtor. You can offer your house to a "We buy houses for cash" company. But, they pay significantly lower than what you can get for your house on the open market. With cash offers as low as 50%, these companies are ideal only if you are trying to sell an extremely distressed property.
If your house is in decent condition then you can opt for an iBuyer. An iBuyer or iBuying company uses its proprietary algorithm to price homes and make offers based on local sales data while ensuring they calculate re-selling profits.
3. How to sell your house fast without a Realtor?
You can sell your house fast without a Realtor in the following ways:
1. Selling a house "As Is" without Realtor
2. Selling your house for cash
3. Offering your house to a flipper
4. How to sell your house without paying commission?
Home sellers can sell their houses without paying a Realtor commission either by following the pure FSBO route or through a tech company like Houzeo. With Houzeo you can easily skip a 3% real estate commission. Houzeo offers various flat fee MLS packages starting from $349 only!
5. Is it easy to sell a house without a Realtor?
Selling your property without a real estate agent can be a little difficult if you are a beginner or are used to selling with a real estate agent. Extensive paper, lack of exposure, combined with handling negotiations on your own make the process even harder.
6. Do I need a lawyer to sell my house privately?
It is not mandatory to hire an attorney or a lawyer to sell your house unless your respective state's real estate laws require you to hire one. But if you are selling your house without a Realtor or dealing with unique property issues, it is highly recommended to hire a licensed real estate attorney.
Related: how to sell a house without a realtor, selling house without realtor, how to sell your home without a realtor, can you sell a house without a realtor, how to sell a home without a realtor, how to sell house without realtor, how to sell my house without a realtor, selling home without realtor, selling my house without a realtor, how to sell a house without a real estate agent, how to sell your house without a realtor 2021, purchase agreement without realtor, can you sell your house without a realtor, how do i sell my house without a realtor, selling home without a realtor, how to sell your house without realtor, best way to sell your home without a realtor, sell my home without realtor, sell your home without realtor
how to sell house without a realtor, how to sell my home without a realtor, how to sell your own house without a realtor, sell home without a realtor, selling a house without realtor, can i sell my house without realtor, how to buy and sell a house without a realtor, how to sell a house without realtor, how to sell home without realtor, how to sell your own home without a realtor, selling house without a realtor, can i sell a house without a realtor, can i sell my home without a realtor, can you sell a home without a realtor, how to sell a house privately, steps for selling a house without a realtor
how to sell a house without an agent, how to sell property without a realtor, selling a house without a realtor checklist, selling my home without a realtor, selling property without a realtor, selling your home without realtor, how do you sell a house without a realtor, sell house without real estate agent, selling a home without realtor, sell your house without realtor, how can i sell my house without a realtor, how to sell a home without realtor, sell home without agent, selling house without agent, selling without realtor, can i sell my home without a real estate agent, can i sell my house without a real estate agent, can you sell a house without a real estate agent, can you sell house without agent, can you sell your home without a realtor, how to sell without a realtor, sell my house without an agent