Now is the best time to sell your house. There is still room for negotiation for the sellers to close at a competitive price.
The skyrocketing interest rates will discourage the buyers from buying new homes.
In 2023, housing experts predict a trend for mortgage rates instability, decline in home sales, and median home prices plunging by 20% in some markets.
Every region has the best time to sell a house aka, the magic window. List your home during this window to sell your house fast and maximize your proceeds.
- Is This the Right Time to Sell a House? Yes, it is the right time to sell a house.
- Best Month to Sell: May is the best month to sell. Houses sold in May earned 12.6% above their asking price.
- Best Day to Sell: Thursday is the best day to put your house on the market. 21% homes are listed on Thursday. These homes get the maximum exposure and sale profits.
- Best Way to Sell: List on the MLS with Flat Fee MLS companies to get maximum exposure and maximum saving on home sale.
Which is the Best Month to Sell a House?
May is the best month to sell your house in America. Based on ATTOM Data Solutions, houses sold in May net 12.6% above the market price.
Do you wish to sell your property at a higher price? If Yes, we recommend listing your house between April and September. It is ideal for families with children to settle before the academic year begins.
October is the lowest earning month for sellers. Houses listed for sale in the mid-week of October get lower than their asking price.
Day of the Week to List a House
Thursday is the best day to list a house for sale. 21% of homes across the nation are listed on Thursday. Zillow’s data shows homes listed on Thursday get better exposure compared to homes listed on any other day.
Buyer agents give priority to the newly added listings. They plan to visit open houses on the weekends.
It makes sense to avoid listing your house at the start of the week. These houses are found to stay for longer on the market.
Which is the Best Season to Sell a House?
Spring is the best season of the year to sell your house. However, each season has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Selling a House in Spring
Spring is said to be the housing season of the year. As the weather warms more serious buyers look forward to buying houses.
✅ Benefits of Selling in Spring
- Buyers Tour Houses in Spring: Buyers start house hunting and touring in the spring season as closing on a house takes few months. This rises the demand for houses in the spring season.
- Families Look to Settle in Vacations: Families with school kids look forward to settle in their new homes during summer vacations. This heightens the competition which benefits the sellers to sell at higher costs.
❌ Drawbacks of Selling in Spring
- Large Availability of Houses: The drawback of selling a house in spring is the large availability of houses on the market. This enables the buyers with multiple choices to land on a much more attractive property.
Therefore, for selling a house in spring you must take steps to increase your home value in the market for a better deal.
Selling a House in Summer
✅ Benefits of Selling in Summer
- Low Competition: Summer is still a good market for selling. The maximum number of houses listed in spring have already been sold. This reduces the competition in summer for home sellers.
- Get More Exposure: Longer days in summer provide more exposure to your house. This enables longer showing time, to fulfill the high curb appeal of buyers.
❌ Drawbacks of Selling in Summer
- Vacations Can Keep Houses for Longer Time: People enjoy vacations by moving out of town. This can make your listing stay for longer.
- Less House Visits: In some of the hottest regions like Arizona, Texas, etc, people avoid touring houses. This also causes the housing market to slow down in the summer season.
Perhaps, as the peak season ends buyers have more power to negotiate. They can demand more concessions by requesting the sellers to pay closing costs.
Selling a House in Fall
As the name itself says, demand and supply for houses fall in this season.
✅ Benefits of Selling in Fall
- Serious Buyers Present: There are still some serious home buyers eagerly looking to move in before the holiday season begins. However, the majority of the families decide to remain in their homes till the next spring season.
❌ Drawbacks of Selling in Fall
- Reduce Home Prices: Buyers will certainly be least interested in the unsold houses listed in spring due to high prices. Therefore, you should make your house stand out and price your property competitively to attract serious buyers.
Moreover, you can also offer seller concessions as a negotiation tactic to interest more buyers in the down market situation.
Selling a House in Winter
✅ Benefits of Selling in Winter
- Best for Warmer Regions: It is the holiday season now. If you own a house in warmer regions like Arizona or Florida. This is probably the best time to sell your house. Most tourists and seasonal residents end up buying a house in these states.
❌ Drawbacks of Selling in Winter
- Low Demand: Winter is also one of the worst times to sell a house with low demand for houses. As a home seller, you have to lower the price of the house and also face further offer negotiations.
- High Maintenance Costs: The conditions in winter also inhibit the property touring of buyers and increase maintenance costs for sellers.
» Seller Disclosure: Learn about Seller Disclosure requirements in your state.
When is the Best Time of the Year to Sell a House?
The best time to sell your house in your area will essentially be the best time of the year for the buyer to enjoy living in it.
Late spring and up to July are considered the home-selling months. You can sell faster and earn higher sale proceeds during this time of the year.
Real estate agents always target the best time of the year to sell houses faster. They also schedule an open house on the weekends to reach the maximum number of home buyers.
Visits of home buyers for open houses depend on the weather conditions as well.
As a home seller, you should always be aware that every state follows a different home-selling trend that depends on the local climate.
Here is the ATTOM Data Solutions report that shows the best months to sell a house:
|Month||Median Sales Price||Median AVM||Seller’s Profits|
Tips for Selling in a Seller’s Market
A seller’s market typically has a high number of homebuyers than the available homes for sale. Here sellers have an opportunity to control the demand for homes and elevate prices.
- Plan to Move Out Fast: In a seller’s market homebuyers will be willing to make cash offers fast. This means you should be moving out in a few weeks after closing the deal. Hence, you should have a fast move out plan.
- Have a Plan for Appraised Value: If the buyer requires mortgage financing, have a plan if the home appraisal comes with lower than your asking value. You can decide to lower your price to match the appraisal cost, reject the offer or ask the buyer to pay the difference.
» Home Inspection: Learn how a home inspection can get you a better deal for your house.
Tips for Selling in a Buyer’s Market
Buyer’s market is typically when the number of houses for sale is more than homebuyers. This gives homebuyers an opportunity to demand lower prices of houses or ask for discounts on other costs.
- Pay for Closing Costs: Mortgage programs can require you to pay the buyer’s closing costs. These costs depend on the loan type and buyer’s down payment.
- Pay for Repair Costs: In a market with fewer buyers, you need to keep your house in good condition to attract a better deal. You should be prepared to pay for the repair costs if required in the home inspection process.
Best Ways to Sell Your House
- List on the MLS: The Multiple Listing System provides maximum exposure to your property. These houses sell faster and for 17% more. Listing on MLS with a Flat Fee company can get you maximum savings on the seller agent commissions.
- Sell as For Sale By Owner: 95% of buyers do online home searches and reviews. As a seller, you should look for more creative ways to market your house on real estate websites to sell it faster. Hence, you can list your house as For Sale By Owner.
- Sell with Flat Rate Realtor: Flat rate realtors will help you from listing your property and handle the paperwork until closing on the sale. They charge a fixed fee ranging from $349 to $5,000.
- Hire a Local Real Estate Agent: Local real estate agents are well-versed in local sales trends. These agents help you take strategic decisions by providing you with local-specific sales information.
- Sell to Investors: Investors like house flippers are always looking for investment properties. Sell your home to investors to avoid selling at a bad time. You can also sell your home to cash companies that can close a deal in 10 to 15 days.
👉 Consider Selling Wholesalers: Learn how Real Estate Wholesalers operate!
- 💡 Can I Sell My House to iBuyers in 2023?
iBuyers are not a good option in 2023 as most of them are facing losses. One of the Top iBuyers Opendoor will go bankrupt by 2024!
When Should YOU Sell Your House?
At times selling a house is a personal thing. How to determine the right time for you to sell your house?
When You Need a Change in Life
Selling a house does not always boil down to finance. Sometimes there are situations that demand a change in your life.
- Job-Relocation: If you have got a new job or finally landed a job in your dream city. This situation can force you to sell your house in a slow market and relocate for a job.
- Favorable Neighborhood: You need a favorable neighborhood for your school-going kids.
- Divorce: The majority of couples buy a house together. The home often holds a sentimental value for them. But after a divorce selling it becomes a practical option for them.
When Market Conditions Are in Your Favor
Factors influencing the real estate market are:
- Health of the Economy: Economic indicators like manufacturing activity, GDP, employment data, costs of goods, etc. influence the market. When the national economy is slow, so is the real estate market.
- Interest Rates: Changes in interest rates influence the ability of property buyers. Lower interest rates boost the demand for mortgages to buy a house. This rises the demand for real estate, thus, increasing the price of the homes.
- Government Policies: Government policies is another factor that impacts the real estate market. Implementing tax credits, subsidies, and deductions are some of the ways the government can temporarily elevate the housing demand.
When You Are Financially Prepared
- Low affordability: Homes are staying longer on the market due to low affordability caused by skyrocketing mortgage rates. It is anticipated the FED may hold the mortgage rates steady due to the financial turmoil caused by the Silicon Valley Bank collapse.
- Save on Expenses: If you are looking to save on your property taxes, homeowners insurance, and HOA fees. You can sell your bigger house and move into a smaller one.
- Equity for New House: On the other hand, if your current home has procured enough equity value to fulfill a healthy down payment. You may plan on selling your house as is to buy your new dream home.
» Cost to Sell a House: Find out How much does it cost to sell a house!
Should I Sell My Home Now or Wait Until 2024?
The housing market has apparently cooled off. Yet, home prices in some areas continue to rise. It makes sense to list your property when the housing market conditions are favorable.
Reasons to Sell Your Home in 2023
- Low Inventory: The construction sector is still battling to resume. Therefore, existing home sales have increased. This makes 2023 an excellent time to sell your home before the recession reduces demand.
- High Prices: According to experts, it is still a sellers’ market. Sales are consistent and prices have no significant reduction.
- Rising Cash Home Sales: Cash home sales increased in 2022 and remain a popular investment option. These cash buyers are eager to purchase and flip houses.
Reasons to Wait Till 2024
- Newly Purchased Home: If you have recently purchased a house, it may be better to wait until you have enough equity to cover your mortgage and closing costs.
- Distressed Home: If you have a home that needs repair, you can wait and fix it for maximum profit.
However, it is always ideal to hire an experienced real estate agent to understand the market conditions and guide you through the selling process.
Check out our exclusive video that explains everything you need to know about the platform.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
» NEED MORE CLARITY? Read these exclusive Houzeo reviews and learn why the platform is the best in America’s competitive housing market.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is now a good time to sell a house?
Yes, it is a good time to sell a house. With mortgage rates rising every week, now is the time to sell your house.
2. What is the best month to sell a house?
May is the best month to sell a house to make thousands of dollars more. Whereas, January is the slowest month of the year for selling.
3. When is the best day to list a house?
Thursday is the best day to list on MLS. Based on 2022 data, houses listed on Thursday are likely to sell faster and also net more than the asking price.
4. What is the average time to sell a house?
The average time to sell a house in America is between 55 to 70 days. However, factors like house location, market conditions, etc. affect the speed of the home sale.
Best Time to Sell a House Near Me
Related: best month to sale a house, is this a good time to sell a house, best time to sell a home, best month to list a house, when do houses go on the market, best time to sale your house, houses for selling, is it a good time to sell my house, time to sell house, when do house listings pickup, what’s the best month to sell your house, when do people sell houses, when’s the best time to sell a house, when to sell your house, what is the best month to sell a home, what time of year is best to sell a house, best time to list a house, when to list house for sale, when to list your house for sale, when do most houses go on the market, best times to sell a house, when to put your house on the market, when should you list your house for sale, when should you put your house on the market, when should i sell my house, when to sell a house, worst time to sell a house, best time to sell your home, best month to sell a house 2023, worst time of year to sell a house, when is the worst time to sell a house, when do most homes go on the market, busiest real estate months, homes sold in my area, worst month to sell a house in the usa.Best Time to Sell a House