From Washington to Florida, home sellers are saving on high listing commissions by selling their homes solo.
Of course, it is nerve-wracking to sell your home without Realtor because you’ll be handling the paperwork, marketing, and showings by yourself. But FSBO selling is a better option than the traditional way.
Our detailed 7-step guide will help you navigate the complicated home-selling process and also help you save thousands on commission.
- Can I Sell Without a Realtor in 2023? Yes! You can sell without a Realtor in the current down market.
- Don’t Skip the MLS: MLS is the most powerful tool to market your property. Skip it and you miss the chance of reaching hundreds of potential buyers.
- Save on Realtor Commission: Stand a chance to save thousands on listing commission when using a Flat Fee Service.
Can I Sell My House Without a Realtor?
Yes, you can sell your house without a Realtor. With high-tech selling platforms like Houzeo, it is easier than ever!
How to Sell Your House Without a Realtor in 2023?
After thorough research, these are the steps that we think can help you the best when selling a house without an agent.
Step 1: Determine the Best Time to Sell Your House
The home-buying season starts in late spring and runs throughout the summer. It peaks somewhere in June and July. Selling during these months can help you fetch profits of 10% or more.
21% of the homes are listed on a Thursday. Homes listed on Thursday tend to sell quickly and are more likely to sell above the list price. So the best time to sell a house is in June or July on a Thursday.
That said, never try to time the market. Interest rates are going up, and the housing market is down. So the best time to sell your house is when you’re ready.
Step 2: Price Your House Competitively
The list price is crucial for attracting buyers when selling a home. Try not to over or under-price your house at any point. An underpriced house may raise suspicions about the house.
Real estate agents help prepare a Comparative Marketing Analysis (CMA) for sellers to fix the right listing price.
- 🤔 Is List Price the Final Sale Price?
No! It’s not your FINAL SALE PRICE! The purpose of the LIST PRICE is to DRIVE TRAFFIC to your listing.
» How to Price Your Home For Sale: Learn how to price your home using these six steps!
📞 Need Help? Schedule a FREE Consultation
An Houzeo expert can answer all questions regarding pricing your home.
Book a FREE Call
Step 3: Prep Your House For Sale
Make your house look more spacious and neat. Prep your house to create an aesthetic appeal for the home. You can do this by depersonalizing and cleaning the house thoroughly.
Improve the overall look by painting your house in neutral colors. Add more lights to brighten your house. Make cosmetic repairs like fixing a squeaky doorknob, or a leaking faucet. Such repairs will create a positive impact on potential buyers.
- ✍️ Pro Tip: You may also consider hiring a professional home staging company. A staged home can attract offers of 1% to 5% more than the asking price.
Step 4: Market Your Property
Apart from listing your property on the MLS, there are other powerful ways to market your property. They are as follows:
- List on MLS: Homes listed on the MLS sell faster and for 13% more. Write a good listing description and attach photos to increase the appeal of your listing.
- Get a Yard Sign: A yard sign can help attract unrepresented buyers in the neighborhood. Attractive for sale by owner signs can grab the attention of potential buyers nearby.
- Hire a Professional Photographer: Homes sell 32% faster if photographed professionally. Ensure you attach good-quality professional photos to your listing.
- Share Your Listing on Social Media: Create and share posts about your listing on social media sites. Include your contact details so potential home shoppers can reach you.
- Print Sales Flyers/Brochures: Keep flyers ready to hand it out to interested folks. Include the property description, list price, home address, and contact details
- List on Craigslist: Craigslist is still the biggest classified ad platform. Here’s how to sell a house on Craigslist.
» Creative Ways to Market a House: Discover unique ways of marketing your house for sale in 2023.
Step 5: Host Open Houses & Manage Showings
Market your home through an open house. It will help you cater to buyers from in and around your neighborhood. To host a successful open house, you need to keep 3 things in mind:
- Choose the Day and Time Wisely: Do not host an open house on a weekday at 12 noon. Host it on a day like Sunday afternoon when people have time to visit an open house.
- Promote the Open House: Announce the open house through your MLS listing on the MLS website. Share the news amongst your social circles and the internet to attract potential home shoppers.
- Print Brochures: Create and print out brochures with photos and information about your house. You can speak to buyers directly and increase your chances of getting an offer.
Step 6: Negotiate Offers
Though you are selling your home without a Realtor, the basics of negotiating offers remain the same. You can either accept, decline or ignore the offers (not recommended).
We suggest you review all offers and take the decision after checking the merits. Even if it’s a lowball offer, you should counter with what you would accept. If the offer does not match your expectation you can politely decline.
Two advanced tactics in every real estate agent’s arsenal are countering an offer or calling for the highest & best offer. When selling their homes without an agent, home sellers need to learn these two tactics.
Houzeo offers a simple-to-use tool to counter an offer or to request the highest & best. So, you can counter or ask for the highest & best offers with just a few clicks!
📞 Need Help? Schedule a FREE Consultation
An Houzeo expert can answer all questions regarding multiple offers.
Book a FREE Call
Step 7: Close on Your House
A settlement agent helps you close the sale. The agent can be an attorney, an escrow, or a title company. Even while selling a home without a Realtor, you’ll have to handle a few things yourself. These include:
- Title: A clear title and a meticulous transfer are key to a real estate transaction.
- Inspection: Home inspectors inspect your home to check for any issues that you missed earlier. The average cost of a home inspection in the US is $350.
- Appraisal: A home appraiser does market research and evaluates the price of your home. They verify if you have set the price of your property as per the market value. The average home appraisal cost in the US ranges from $313 to $421.
Paperwork For Selling a House Without a Realtor
Documents needed to sell your own home without a Realtor can be categorized under 4 categories:
- Seller Disclosures: It is a mandatory form that discloses the property’s condition. It is mandatory nationwide. Every state has its respective real estate laws and prescribed disclosures. Check out our state-related seller’s disclosure blogs to know disclosure requirements in your state.
- Inspection Paperwork: A home inspection report by a licensed inspector includes undisclosed issues in the house that were not included in the disclosures. The home shopper may use this report to either reduce the list price or ask for some repairs.
- Appraisal Paperwork: A home appraiser evaluates the value of the home to determine the right price for it. Unlike a home inspection, appraisers do not look for issues but use real estate comps to compile their data.
- Paperwork at the Close: Closing paperwork generally includes loan payoff, HOA documents, proof of repairs, home warranty, etc. You sign these documents during the closing day.
» Paperwork for Selling a House Without a Realtor: Paperwork you need to successfully sell your home.
An important factor that can impact the amount you get at the end of the deal.
The transaction is not only about agent commission and sale price but also includes other costs. These costs vary across states. They mainly include Realtor commission, transfer tax, real estate attorney fee, title insurance, capital gains tax, etc.
» Closing Cost Calculator: Are there any additional fees for an FSBO seller? Calculate your expenses now!
Is It Hard to Sell a House Without a Realtor?
No, it is not hard to sell a house without a Realtor if you’re thorough. Remember that you need to manage the staging, open houses, paperwork, and negotiations yourself. With a meticulous plan in place, you can try selling a property without a Realtor to pull off a smooth sale.
Key steps in selling a home without a realtor are:
- Pricing: Pricing is an art and a science, but you can do it with the right resources.
- Marketing: MLS is the most powerful tool in an agent’s arsenal. List your home on the MLS without a listing agent.
- Paperwork: Real estate transactions involve extensive paperwork. Companies like Houzeo will help you with your paperwork when you work with them.
- Negotiations: Knowing how to counter an offer and request the highest and best offers is critical.
Houzeo is one of America’s top For Sale by Owner and Flat Fee MLS companies that helps home sellers with all the above steps. We empower sellers to list and sell their homes themselves. We offer assistance when required and allow homeowners to take the reigns of the selling process. However, many Flat Fee MLS companies do have high hidden costs.
😏 Want to Sell FSBO But Need Assistance?
Houzeo’s plans are for independent sellers, but offer 5-star customer support when you need help.
LIST YOUR HOME NOW
Pros and Cons of Selling a House Without a Realtor
It is best to know both, the risks as well as the benefits of selling your house on your own.
👍 Pros of Selling Your Home Without a Realtor
- Savings on Listing Commission: You can save up from 2.5 % to 3% commission by selling your house without a Realtor.
- Speed to Market: To list on MLS, a home seller has to work with a real estate agent. But with tech companies like Houzeo, you will get on the market in 24-48 hours!
- Control Over Transaction: You can directly connect with your buyer or buyer-agent to discuss. This way you reduce intermediaries and make the process quick.
👎 Cons of Selling Your Own Home Without a Realtor
🚀 Blast Past Paperwork With Houzeo
Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish the listing formalities in <60 mins. Start NOW!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
Best Ways to Sell Your House Without a Realtor
You have various ways when it comes to selling your home without a Realtor. The right step at the right time can help you save thousands of dollars.
- Sell to an iBuyer: Many iBuyers, like Opendoor and Offerpad, purchase hundreds of homes in America. iBuyers can be a great option if you’re wondering how to sell your house fast in the US. However, Ibuyers will offer less compensation in 2023.
- Sell Your Home to an Investor: Cash home buyers are real estate buyers who make direct cash offers on homes. They help home sellers skip the hassle of listing on the MLS, marketing, etc. Investors like house flippers would buy your house for less and then sell it at higher rates to make more profits.
- Sell to Real Estate Wholesaler: Motivated sellers can sell their properties to real estate wholesalers. They will help you find the right buyer and help you sell your home fast.
- List with Flat Fee MLS Companies: Get on the MLS with companies like Houzeo who provide services at a flat fee. You can list their homes using Houzeo’s Mobile App or on the website. Home buyers can use Houzeo’s website to look for homes and submit an offer if interested.
The average real estate agent commission in the US is between 5% and 6%. With Houzeo you can save this amount by selling your house without a Realtor using an FSBO platform like Houzeo. Houzeo combines modern tech with real estate to provide advanced tools to sell your home smoothly.
Check out our exclusive video that explains everything you need to know about the platform.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
How to Sell a House Without a Realtor Near Me
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to sell a house for cash without a Realtor?
You can offer your house to companies that buy houses for cash. Know that, they pay significantly lower than what you would earn on an open market.
2. How to sell your house fast without a Realtor?
You can sell your house fast without a Realtor by selling your house "as-is", sell your home to cash home buyer, house flipper or a wholesaler.
3. How to sell your house without paying commission?
Home sellers can sell their houses without paying Realtor commissions by working with a Flat Fee Realtor or company. They charge you a fixed fee for listing your home or a 4-digit flat fee for the entire transaction!
4. Is it easy to sell a house without a Realtor?
No, it is not easy to sell your house without a Realtor. Complex paperwork and negotiations can make the process overwhelming. But with proper planning and little assistance you can sell without a Realtor without any problem.
5. Do I need a lawyer to sell my house privately?
It is not mandatory to hire a lawyer to sell your house unless your respective state's real estate laws require you to hire one. But if you are selling your house without a Realtor, it is recommended to hire a real estate attorney.
Related: how to sell
a house without a realtor, selling house without realtor, how to sell your home without a realtor, can you sell a house without a realtor, how to sell a home without a realtor, how to sell house without realtor, how to sell my house without a realtor, selling home without realtor, selling my house without a realtor, how to sell a house without a real estate agent, purchase agreement without realtor, can you sell your house without a realtor, how do i sell my house without a realtor, selling home without a realtor, how to sell your house without realtor, best way to sell your home without a realtor, sell my home without realtor
how to sell house without a realtor, how to sell my home without a realtor, how to sell your own house without a realtor, sell home without a realtor, selling a house without an agent, selling a house without realtor, can i sell my house without realtor, how to buy and sell a house without a realtor, how to sell a house without realtor, how to sell home without realtor, how to sell your own home without a realtor, selling house without a realtor, can i sell a house without a realtor, can i sell my home without a realtor, can you sell a home without a realtor, how to sell a house privately, steps for selling a house without a realtor
how to sell a house without an agent, how to sell property without a realtor, selling a house without a realtor, selling my home without a realtor, selling property without a realtor, selling your home without realtor, how do you sell a house without a realtor, sell house without real estate agent, selling a home without realtor, sell your house without realtor, how can i sell my house without a realtor, how to sell a home without realtor, sell home without agent, selling house without agent, selling without realtor, can i sell my home without a real estate agent.
housezo, houszeo, houzzeo, hozeo,, selling your house without an estate agent, sell house without agent, can i sell my house without a real estate agent, can you sell a house without a real estate agent, can you sell house without agent, can you sell your home without a realtor, how to sell without a realtor, sell my house without an agent, for sale by owner website, for sale by owner MLS listing