From Seattle to Miami, home sellers across America are saving thousands on the 6% real estate commission by selling their homes For Sale By Owner (FSBO).
According to Zillow, 26% of Gen X’ers and 36% of millennials listed FSBO. National Association of Realtors found that FSBO homes sold faster than agent-assisted homes. 77% of FSBO homes sold in less than 2 weeks.
If you’re wondering how to sell a house by owner, you’ve stumbled upon the most authoritative guide for FSBOs. Not only will these tips help you save thousands in commission selling by owner, but you’ll also have more control over your sale than ever.
⚡ 4 Powerful FSBO Tips
- List on MLS: MLS is the most powerful tool for home sellers. It gives you maximum exposure to home buyers and buyer agents. More exposure means more competition and a higher sale price for you.
- Price Your Home Competitively: Pricing your home right is probably the single most important factor in selling your home fast. Pricing too high means more days on market. Pricing low means multiple offers and a bidding war.
- Get Professional Photos: 90% of home buyers search for homes online. You are competing for clicks on Zillow and Houzeo. Get pro photos done – more clicks online means more showings and more offers!
- Offer a Competitive Buyer Agent Commission: We hate commissions. But you can make buyer agents work for you by paying them a commission. Check with local realtors what a competitive commission is in your area.
How to Sell a House By Owner?
Selling a house by owner without an agent seems daunting. The biggest FSBO challenges are for sale by owner paperwork, negotiating offers, and closing on time.
America’s best FSBO sites will help you conquer all these challenges with cutting-edge technology, 5-star customer support, and licensed broker assistance only when you need it. And they will still help you save thousands by avoiding the listing agent commission.
That being said, remember you are competing against agent-assisted sales. Here’s our comprehensive guide on how to sell your house on your own like a professional:
Step 1: Price Your Home for Sale
Listing price is the single most important factor that will help you sell your house fast. Whether you’re selling a house by owner or not, the listing price is crucial for attracting a wide pool of buyers.
REMEMBER! The purpose of the LIST PRICE is to DRIVE TRAFFIC to your listing. It’s not your SALE PRICE!!!
If you price your home too high, you risk it staying on the market for too long. Few things hurt a home sale more than a stale listing.
There is however little downside to pricing your home for sale a little lower or just at the right price. Competitively pricing your home for sale will drive foot traffic and offers. If you priced it too low, you’ll likely receive multiple offers and sell at the market price.
In a hot sellers’ market, you can price your home up to 10% more than the market. But 2023 is a buyer’s market in most of America. So, set your asking price slightly lower to beat the competition and attract higher interest.
» How to Price Your Home for Sale: 6 steps to nail down your list price!
Step 2: Prep Your Home for Sale
Here are a few things you can do to ready your home for sale:
- Declutter & Depersonalize: Tidy up your place and keep the surfaces like coffee tables, countertops, etc. clean. Keep trash cans, dirty dishes, and towels away. Also, remove personalized items such as photos, keepsakes, fridge magnets, etc.
- Repaint Neutral: Neutral colors appeal to a larger pool of people. This will help in attracting more buyers.
- Keep the Lights On: Use light bulbs wherever necessary. Natural light works best for photography. Ensure to keep the curtains and blinds open.
- Improve Curb Appeal: Go for clear landscapes, fresh flowers, or exquisite wall paints. Remove dead plants, trees, etc.
- Hire a Professional Home Stager: According to RESA, staged homes can sell for up to $40,000 over the list price. Also, staged homes sell 9 days faster. An average home seller spends $1,774 to stage their home. Hire professional home staging companies to stage and prep your house for listing photographs and walkthroughs.
✍️ Pro Tip: Consider Virtual Home Staging
Virtual staging is an affordable alternative to regular home staging. It costs about $100 to $1,000 to stage a house virtually. With virtual staging, you get realistically staged photographs or a video slideshow which you can upload with your MLS listing.
» Virtual Staging: Learn to stage your home digitally.
Step 3: Market Your Home
Real estate agents have the resources and tools to advertise and market a home. Here are a few marketing tactics to beat an agent-assisted sale:
- Hire a Pro Photographer: Real estate photography can greatly impact the home selling process by attracting more buyers. According to VHT Studio’s Analysis, homes photographed professionally sell 32% faster. Hire professional real estate photographers to collate an appealing portfolio.
- Write a Powerful Property Description: Combine a catchy headline with an engaging opening statement. Use popular adjectives like captivating, luxurious, impeccable, stainless, etc. Also, talk about special features of your house like the type of flooring, energy-efficient devices like solar panels, etc.
- List on MLS: Homes listed on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) sell faster and for 17% more. List your home on the MLS with a Flat Fee MLS listing service like Houzeo. Houzeo will get you on the MLS for a small flat fee starting from $349. Your listing will be syndicated to 100+ real estate websites, giving your house the maximum exposure.
- List on For Sale By Owner Websites: FSBO listing sites like Zillow, and Craigslist have millions of visitors per month. Several FSBO websites will allow you to list your home for free. But, you will be at the risk of attracting unqualified buyers. We recommend you research a For Sale By Owner website thoroughly before listing your home For Sale By Owner.
- Put a “For Sale” Yard Sign: You can attract unrepresented buyers with a yard sign. Get a “FOR SALE” yard sign, preferably with your phone number. Houzeo custom yard sign is only $49, and you get it for FREE with a selfie!
» Creative Ways to Market a House: Here’re 18 unique ways to market your house.
Step 4: Manage Showings
You can do the following to show your home to potential buyers:
- Open Houses: According to the NAR, 92% of home buyers find open houses useful. Hosting an open house is a good low-pressure way to show your home to potential buyers. You may even attract unrepresented buyers, saving the entire buyer agent commissions.
- In-person Showings: Use an online showings tool to manage showings. With an online showings tool like Houzeo Showings, buyers and buyer agents can choose a showing slot stated by you. The tool also provides features like requesting, rescheduling, updating, and canceling showings.
Step 5: Review, Compare, and Negotiate Offers
Though you are selling your home without a Realtor, the basics of what to do when you get offers remain the same. This includes, accepting, declining, or ignoring the offers (not recommended).
We suggest you review the offers on all their merits and never ignore an offer. Look for contingencies offered by the buyer.
- Is the buyer willing to make a cash offer?
- Is the buyer offering to cover some closing costs?
- Do the potential buyers have a mortgage preapproved?
Keep these questions in mind when comparing offers. Typically, real estate brokers do such negotiations for you. As a For Sale By Owner seller, use offer management tools like Houzeo Offers. With Houzeo Offers you can make counter offers, call for the best offer, and a lot more.
» Highest and Best Offer: Is it a smart move in multiple offer situations?
Step 6: Draft a For Sale By Owner Contract
You can draft your own FSBO contract, but we do not recommend it. It is best to hire a licensed real estate attorney to prepare the contract. A real estate attorney will also ensure the contract stands legally binding for both parties.
» Who draws up contract in for sale by owner?: Learn to draft a contract when selling a house privately.
Step 7: Close the Sale with a Professional
It is not mandatory to hire an attorney for selling homes by owner. However, we recommend you hire one.
A licensed real estate attorney will help you draft all the closing documents and minimize the legal risks. Typically, the real estate attorney fee ranges between $150 and $500 per hour.
Paperwork to Sell a Home By Owner
Some mandatory documents needed to make a successful real estate transaction are as follows:
- The HUD-1 or Closing Disclosure: A closing disclosure contains a summary of all the detailed costs for homes purchased with a mortgage. If you accept an all-cash offer, you may get the HUD-1, which is less common. These documents detail the amounts you pay, your loan payoffs, and the net proceeds you will take to the bank.
- The Deed: It enables the legal transfer of title from the seller to the buyer. Read this document carefully to verify the legal description of the property, the deed book, and the Property Identification Number, if any.
- Settlement Statement: This statement summarizes all the expenses involved in the transaction. These expenses are usually split into whether they have been paid prior to closing or are due at the time of closing.
- Certificate of Title: It allows you to state that you have the right to sell your own home.
- Two Forms of Official ID: You will have to swear on your identity in the presence of a licensed notary. You will have to furnish identity proof (like a passport, driving license, etc.) during the process. The closing process might also require you to produce secondary identity proof.
» Paperwork for Selling a House Without a Realtor: Learn about the FSBO paperwork you need.
Seller and buyers both pay separate closing costs at closing. Seller closing costs usually consist of HOA fees, escrow fees, real estate attorney fees, transfer tax, and home warranty fees.
Additionally, you need to pay the commissions for both the listing as well as the buyer agent. This will be around 5% to 6% of the sale value. If you offer seller concessions, then you might have to cover some buyer closing costs as well.
» Seller Closing Costs Calculator: Estimate your closing costs when selling your own home.
For Sale By Owner Pros and Cons
As per Zillow, 36% of Millennials, 26% of Gen Xers, 22% of Boomers, and 19% of Silent Gen are selling their homes by owner. Most importantly, in our experience buyer agents are not at all averse to working with FSBO sellers.
Pros of Selling For Sale By Owner
- You Will Save Thousands in Commissions: American home sellers spend around $19,700 on real estate commissions (based on median home values). Selling your house by owner will help you save 2.5% to 3% on the listing agent commission.
- You Can Hit the Market Quickly & Sell Fast: You can list your house yourself whenever you are ready. You need not hunt for a real estate agent to begin selling property by owner. FSBO websites like Houzeo will get you on the MLS within 24-48 hours, or faster. Statistically speaking, 77% of FSBO homes sell in less than 2 weeks.
- You Will Have More Control Over the Process: As an independent home seller, you will interact with buyers directly. You will also control other aspects of selling by owner like showings, negotiations, paperwork, etc.
Cons of Selling For Sale By Owner
- You May Need Licensed Broker Support: Selling For Sale By Owner means you are on your own. If you need help with paperwork, inspections, negotiations, or closing, you will have to manage everything yourself. So make sure you list with a service that provides licensed broker support if you need it.
- There Could be High Hidden Fees: Several FSBO listing services that charge low upfront costs have a high hidden fee at closing. Additionally, several FSBO sites like Craigslist are infamous for attracting unqualified buyers and scammers.
» List with Houzeo: No hidden fees and licensed broker support when you need it!
FSBO Mistakes to Avoid
Here are the common mistakes FSBO sellers make that you should avoid at all costs:
- Not Listing on the MLS: A For Sale By Owner MLS listing allows nationwide buyer agents to know about your property. Your listing is syndicated to 100+ real estate websites which can help you attract unrepresented buyers. Statistically, homes listed on the MLS sell faster and for 17% more.
- Pricing Your Home Incorrectly: Overpricing might turn potential buyers away. Underpricing will lead you to leave some serious amount of money on the table.
- Not Offering a Competetive Buyer Agent Commission: 90% of home sales involve buyer agents. Not incentivizing the buyer agents will prevent you from attracting a top dollar for your property.
- Skipping Professional Real Estate Photography: Professionally photographed homes sell 32% faster. So, skipping professional real estate photography will lead to lesser foot traffic and slower home sale.
Sell a House By Owner for Cash
If you’re selling a rental or a house in poor condition, you might want to consider selling it to a cash buyer. Cash offers typically save you the uncertainty involved with financing, and often even skip inspections.
Here’s how to sell a house by owner for cash:
- Sell Your Home By Owner to Cash Home Buyers: Companies that buy houses for cash typically offer 50% to 70% of the property’s Fair Market Value. They can help you sell your house as is by owner i.e. in its existing condition, without any repairs.
- Offer Your House to an iBuyer: An iBuyer can make a cash offer instantly and help you sell your own house fast. They make cash offers as high as 100% of the fair market value. However, iBuyers have strict purchase criteria.
» Sell My House Fast for Cash: Attract maximum cash offers when selling your house yourself.
Consider the following sell-by-owner alternatives if saving money is your main goal:
- Flat Fee MLS: Flat Fee MLS companies get you on the MLS for a small flat fee saving you thousands in commissions. Best Flat Fee MLS listing companies like Houzeo can get you on the MLS within 48 hours, or even faster!
- Discount Real Estate Brokers: The best discount real estate brokers offer all the services that traditional Realtor agents do but at discounted rates. They usually charge 1.5% to 3% commissions to list your home.
- Low Commission Real Estate Agents: Low commission realty companies like Redfin and Ideal Agent provide full service for a commission of less than 3%. Low commission real estate companies typically charge 1.5% to 2% of the sale price.
The Bottom Line
Selling a house by owner will help you save thousands in real estate commissions. But, it has some major drawbacks like you might skip an MLS listing, and won’t get any help when needed.
If you wish to do an FSBO sale with any MLS listing, sell with Houzeo. Houzeo will get your FSBO home on the MLS within 24-48 hours. Also, you will have 5-star Houzeo customer support to help you at every step. Here’s how Houzeo works to maximize your savings and exposure.
Eager to Know More?
We’ve got you covered. Check out what is Houzeo and why its Flat Fee MLS packages are the best way to sell a house by owner.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
» NEED MORE CLARITY? Read these exclusive Houzeo reviews and learn why it is one of the best FSBO sites in America.
1. Who pays closing costs when selling a house by owner?
Who pays closing costs depends on the local customs and negotiations that happen. For instance, the seller pays the title insurance premium in Southern California. Whereas in Northern California, the buyer pays the title insurance premiums. Research closing costs in your local area to know exactly who pays what.
2. How to sell a house by owner for cash?
You can sell your home for cash with cash home-buying companies. Cash home buyers usually make lowball offers within 48 hours. If your house is in good condition, sell it to an iBuyer. They offer up to 100% of the property's fair market value.
3. What does "For Sale By Owner (FSBO)" mean?
For Sale By Owner or FSBO means the seller is selling the property for sale directly, without a real estate agent in between. You are responsible for the entire sale process, including listing, showing, hosting open houses, negotiating offers, and closing.
4. What percent to pay buyers agent in FSBO?
As per our research, the typical buyer agent commission is between 2.4% and 2.5%.
5. How much does it cost to sell a house by owner?
It costs about 7% to 8% of the final sale price to sell a house. Realtor commission which is about 5% to 6%, forms the major chunk of the home selling costs. You can cut the commission expenses by half by selling your home For Sale By Owner.
6. Where can I list my home For Sale By Owner?
You can list your home For Sale By Owner on Houzeo.com for free with Houzeo's Freemium Package. Additionally, you can list your FSBO home on the MLS with Houzeo's MLS listing packages that start from $349. Visit Houzeo's pricing page to know the exact listing fees in your area.
Sell a Home For Sale By Owner Near You
To understand how selling a house for sale by owner works where you live, click on your state below:
|Region||States/Cities||How to Sell a House by Owner Near Me|
|Northeast||States||Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont|
|Northeast||Key Cities||Philadelphia, PA|
|Midwest||States||Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Michigan | Minnesota | Missouri | Nebraska | North Dakota | Ohio | South Dakota | Wisconsin|
|Midwest||Key Cities||Des Moines, IA | Kansas City, KS | Indianapolis, IN | Lincoln, NE|
|South||States||Alabama | Arkansas | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Mississippi | North Carolina | Oklahoma | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Virginia | D.C. | West Virginia|
|South||Key Cities||Atlanta, GA | Oklahoma City, OK | New Orleans, LA | Clearwater, FL | Little Rock, AR|
|West||States||Alaska | Arizona | California | Colorado | Hawaii | Idaho | Montana | Nevada | New Mexico | Oregon | Utah | Washington | Wyoming|
|West||Key Cities||Colorado Springs, CO|
Related: how to sell own house, how to sell your house by owner, how to sell home by owner, sell house owner, selling house owner, how to sell your own home, sell homes by owner, owners selling homes, how to sell a home by owner, how sell a house by owner, how sell your house by owner, selling houses by owner, sell by owner home, how to sell your home by owner, how to sell property by owner,
how to sell your house yourself, how to sell your own house, selling own house, how do you sell a house by owner, home selling by owner, how to sell own home, sell my home by owner, house selling by owner, how to sell a house as is by owner, how to sell my house myself, how to do for sale by owner, how to sell a house for sale by owner, how to do a for sale by owner, how to fsbo your home, fsbo how to, how to for sale by owner home,
how to sell a home on your own, how to sell your house on your own, how to sell your house for sale by owner, how to sell your home yourself, selling home on your own, how do you sell your house by owner, how to sell my house by owner, how to sell a home for sale by owner, how sell home by owner, how to sell for sale by owner, how to do a fsbo, how to sell by owner house, what is required to sell a house by owner, how to sell a house privately, how to sell fsbo, how to sell your home for sale by owner, selling a property by owner, how to sell a property by owner, selling house privately, sell house privately, sell my house privately, how to do fsbo, selling houses privately