Colorado Springs home prices surged 12.8% between 2021 and 2022. Record home prices mean you’ll pay record commissions. Selling by owner saves you thousands in agent commissions.
Can I Sell My House by Myself in Colorado Springs?
Yes! You need to do just 4 things to successfully sell most homes by owner
- List on Your Local MLS: Homes listed on the MLS sell faster and for 17% more. The biggest challenge FSBO sellers face in Colorado Springs is not getting access to their local MLS. There are over 600 MLS’ in the U.S. Houzeo.com will automatically assign you the right MLS for your property.
- Price Your Home Competitively: Be sure to look at recent sales in your neighborhood.
- Offer a Competitive Buyer Agent Commission: Most homes sell through a buyer agent, so it’s key to offer a competitive commission to them.
- Take Professional Photos: You’re competing for clicks online. More online clicks = more foot traffic. There’s no single investment as good as pro photos that converts clicks!
» For Sale By Owner Tips: See our 7 FSBO tips to sell your home fast!
Should I Sell My Home by Owner in Colorado Springs?
Real estate commissions in the US surpassed $100 billion in 2021. By selling FSBO, you will save thousands in commissions. You will also retain full control of your transaction. Finally, selling FSBO through a high-tech platform like Houzeo.com is faster than selling with a traditional agent.
👍 Key Benefits of Selling For Sale By Owner (FSBO) in Colorado Springs
- Savings on Commission: Colorado Springs home sellers spend around $29,100 on real estate commissions (based on the median home values in Colorado Springs). Selling your own house in Colorado Springs can help you save around $14,500 on the listing agent commission.
- Speed to Market: You can set out to sell your house whenever you are ready. You need not hunt for a real estate agent to begin the selling process. FSBO websites like Houzeo can get you listed within 24-48 hours, or faster!
- Control Over Transaction: You interact directly with buyers or buyer agents. This reduces intermediaries involved in the transaction.
👎 Key Risks of Selling For Sale By Owner (FSBO) in Colorado Springs
- No Help When You Need: If you need help with paperwork, inspections, negotiations, or closing, you’re on your own as a For Sale By Owner.
- No MLS Exposure: MLS is the most important tool an agent has. Selling FSBO means limited exposure, so there will be less competition for your property. That will likely reduce the selling price. Homes on the MLS sold for 17% more than homes, not on the MLS.
💲 List on MLS with Houzeo.com
Houzeo will get your home on the MLS within 2 business days – at $349 only!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
How to Sell a House By Owner (Without a Realtor) in Colorado Springs?
When selling a Colorado Springs home on your own, you are competing with agent-assisted sales. The following steps will help you manage your sale process professionally and attract more buyers in Colorado Springs’ hot seller market.
Steps to Sell a House by Owner in Colorado Springs
- Determine the Best Time to Sell Your House
- Price Your Home Competitively
- Prep Your Home for Sale
- Create an Appealing Property Description
- Fill out Seller Disclosure
- Market Your Home For Sale by Owner
- Manage Showings
- Review, Compare and Negotiate Offers
- Handle Closing
Step 1: Determine the Best Time to Sell a House in Colorado Springs
The home-buying season in Colorado starts in late summer and lasts till early winter. The best months to sell your homes in Colorado are November and December. You get up to $36,000 more than the average sale price by selling your home yourself in Colorado in December.
21% of the homes are listed on a Thursday as they sell quickly and are more likely to sell above the list price. So the best time to sell a house without a realtor in Colorado Springs is November or December on a Thursday.
Is it a Good Time to Sell a Home in Colorado Springs Now?
The best time to sell your house is whenever you are ready. Never try to time the market – in the long term, that’s a difficult strategy.
» Best Time to Sell a House in Colorado Springs, CO: Read our in-depth analysis
💲 List with Houzeo.com and Save Thousands
Lara Shane sold her condo with Houzeo and saved $24,000 in real estate commissions.
» List Now: Start your FREE listing on Houzeo.com!
Step 2: Price Your Home Competitively
Listing price is the single most important factor that will determine how quickly a home sells. Whether you’re selling a home by owner or not, the listing price is crucial for attracting a wide pool of buyers.
REMEMBER! The purpose of the LIST PRICE is to DRIVE TRAFFIC to your listing. It’s not your SALE PRICE!!!
What happens if you under-price or over-price your listing?
|If you price it too low||You will get multiple offers. You’ll likely call for “Highest & Best Offer” or counter the best offers. And you will sell at market price.|
|If you price it too high||You will get little interest. That’ll make you drop the price, and you will sell at the market price.|
Real estate agents in Colorado Springs typically create a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) to determine what’s an ideal listing price for a property. With Zillow and Redfin, you can easily create your own CMA and understand how selling a home in Colorado Springs works.
» How to Price Your Home for Sale: Learn to Price Your Home Competitively with Houzeo
Step 3: Prep Your Colorado Springs Home for Sale
Here are a few tips to prep your Colorado Springs house for sale:
- Repaint Neutral: Neutral colors appeal to a wider range of buyers.
- Clean: Scrub, shampoo, wash, and deep clean every nook of your house.
- Improve Curb Appeal: Clear landscape or plant fresh flowers. First impressions are everything!
- Stage: Hire a professional stager or organize your furniture to make rooms look neat and spacious.
- Declutter & Depersonalize: You want the buyers to imagine their own life in your house, not yours.
- Showcase Natural Light: Natural light helps. Ensure you have opened curtains and blinds. Make sure every room has ample light, and add bulbs if necessary.
- Make Repairs: If there’s anything glaringly wrong, take care of it early. For instance, a squeaky doorknob will not be overlooked by potential buyers. It is best to get such defects fixed.
Making your home look its best self works wonders when selling real estate in Colorado Springs by owner. Complement every room in a way that they narrate a story, don’t let furniture consume all the space, and create a visually appealing first look.
🤔 How to Sell a Home As Is by Owner in Colorado Springs?
You can sell your home “as is” in Colorado Springs by owner with Houzeo.com. With Houzeo you can attract offers as high as 100% of the home value.
» List Now: Start your FREE listing on Houzeo.com!
Step 4: Create an Appealing Property Description
Here are a few best practices to make an appealing property description:
- Craft a Catchy Headline: You only have a few seconds to grab the readers’ attention. So, keep your headline short and use descriptive words.
- Make an Opening Statement: Highlight the features of your property that could not fit in the headline. For instance, parking in city listings, mountain or lake views, etc.
- Choose Popular Adjectives: Listings that contain words like captivating, luxurious, impeccable, stainless, etc. are sold more than the ones that do not include them.
- Talk About Features: Mention name-brand appliances, type of flooring (cherry, walnut, etc.), energy-efficient devices like solar panels, wi-fi-enabled smart devices, etc.
- Mention Nearby Amenities: Talk about parks, schools, shopping places, and recreational facilities located nearby.
Step 5: Fill out the Colorado Seller Disclosure
These are the following disclosures you have to furnish while selling your home by owner in Colorado Springs
- Colorado Property Disclosure Statement: It is a kind of standard checklist form through which sellers can disclose their property’s condition. This typically includes material defects, features, nature of occupancy, space to provide additional information, etc.
- Lead-Based Paint Hazard: As per the legal binding, for homes built before 1978, the seller should declare any lead-based paint hazards in the house.
- Property Tax Disclosure Summary This disclosure summary specifies to the buyer that current property tax can’t be taken as a reference to calculate future property taxes. Change of ownership or any revamp may lead to a reassessment of the property leading to property tax re-evaluation.
- Colorado Radon Gas Disclosure: A seller needs to disclose a known radon defect on their property. Apart, sellers also need to provide an educational radon disclosure statement.
- The Green Disclosure: The Green Disclosure (Energy) form tells the buyer about the seller’s current knowledge of the property’s energy-related attributes.
» Colorado Seller Disclosure: Know Your Disclosure Obligations
🎯 Houzeo Makes FSBO Paperwork Easy
With varying federal, state, and MLS requirements, paperwork can be daunting. Houzeo automatically assigns you the right paperwork to get your property listed. You can get a Licensed Broker to assist you with closing, if that’s all you need.
» List Now: Start your FREE listing on Houzeo.com!
Step 6: Market Your Colorado Springs Home For Sale by Owner
95% of home buyers search and review homes online. Getting maximum online exposure should be the #1 priority when selling their house, combined with other marketing tactics.
Here are six powerful ways to market your Colorado Springs home for sale by owner:
|1.||List Your Colorado Springs Home For Sale by Owner||Homes listed on the MLS sell faster and for 17% more. That doesn’t mean you need to hire a listing agent or pay that extra commission. Craft appealing listing descriptions to entice potential buyers. |
Use for sale by owner websites to list your home for sale by owner and offer a competitive buyer agent commission. That’ll have you in good stead to get top-dollar for your property.
✍️ Pro Tip: Research the Best For Sale by Owner Websites Before Picking One.
|2.||Get a Yard Sign||Do not get a “FOR SALE BY OWNER” yard sign. FSBO yard signs have a negative association. Additionally, it’ll limit your options because some MLS’ will not allow them. |
Get a “FOR SALE” yard sign, preferably with your phone number. Houzeo custom yard sign is $49 only, and it comes FREE with a selfie!
✍️ Pro Tip: If you secure a buyer from a yard sign, chances are you’ll save on the buyer agent commission as well.
|3.||Hire a Professional Photographer||Hire a professional real estate photographer to create a portfolio of your house. Professional photos can greatly impact the selling process by attracting more buyers.|
✍️ Pro Tip: A real estate photographer can collate a portfolio that otherwise may not be possible.
|4.||Share Your Listing on Social Media||Share your Houzeo listing on social media sites. It includes your contact info. If you share Zillow or Redfin listings, all the leads your listing generates will be sold to paying buyer agents who’ll demand a competitive buyer agent commission. |
Houzeo doesn’t sell your information or leads. All buyer leads see your contact info, so you might save the buyer agent commission.
✍️ Pro Tip: If you secure a buyer from social sharing, chances are you’ll save on the buyer agent commission as well.
|5.||Print Sales Flyers/Brochures||Keep a flyer ready to hand out. Include property specifics: property description, sale price, property address, and your contact details.|
✍️ Pro Tip: Your MLS listing is the best flyer. It’s detailed, and most agents & buyers are familiar with the format.
|6.||List on Craigslist||Craigslist is still the biggest classified ad platform. And it’s still effective today. Here’s how to sell a house on Craigslist.|
» Creative Ways to Market a House: Discover 18 Unique Ways of Marketing Your Colorado Springs Home
Step 7: Manage Showings
Once your property is ready for showings, it is critical to manage them effectively. You want to know who has seen your property or expressed interest in seeing it. And you also want to track when a potential buyer last saw it.
Online showing scheduling tools provide buyers and buyer agents with a frictionless way to request and schedule showings. Cutting-edge showing technologies, like Houzeo Showings, also feature ways for buyers and buyer agents to provide feedback.
Houzeo Showings: How It Works
|1.||Set Showing Calendar||Buyers and buyer agents should only be shown times when the property is available for showing. This saves the time spent in correspondence with all parties.|
|2.||Request & Reschedule Showings||It’s critical that buyers and buyer agents can request showings at available times. Things do change sometimes, so they should be able to reschedule and cancel showing requests as well.|
|3.||Provide Feedback||Feedback from buyers and buyer agents is critical for home sellers. It allows them to assess if their property is priced too high, the backyard needs fencing, or the door lock was too difficult to open. If the property is on a major street, there’s nothing the home seller can do about it. But where the feedback is actionable, small remedies can improve showings and attract top dollar for your property.|
Step 8: Review, Compare and Negotiate Offers
Though you are selling your home without a realtor in Colorado Springs, the basics of what to do when you get offers remain the same. This includes accepting, declining, or ignoring the offers (not recommended).
Review the offers on all their merits, and never ignore an offer. Even if it’s a lowball offer, you should counter with what you would accept. Where you are sure you don’t want to counter or accept, just politely decline.
Countering an offer, or calling for the highest & best offers are 2 advanced tactics in every real estate agent’s arsenal. When selling your home by owner in Colorado Springs, you need to learn these 2 tactics.
Most Colorado real estate companies will give you complex forms to counter an offer, or to request the highest & best. Houzeo has digitized these features. You can counter or ask for the highest & best offers with just a few clicks!
Houzeo Offers: How to Counter or Request Highest & Best
|#||Advanced Tactic||When to Use||How to Use|
|1.||Counter an Offer||Single or Multiple Offer Situation||Your best offer is not just the highest one. It’ll be competitive across several parameters: deposit, financing, inspection contingency, closing timeline, etc. |
When countering an offer, you can request any of these parameters to be updated per your preferences.
▶️ Learn more: How to counter an offer on Houzeo.com
|2.||Request Highest & Best Offers||Multiple Offer Situation||If you have multiple offers, and a timeline by which you’d like to pick an offer, you can call for Highest & Best offer from all interested parties.|
▶️ Learn more: How to request Highest & Best offer on Houzeo.com
Step 9: Handle Closing in Colorado Springs
In Colorado Springs, a real estate attorney handles the closing process and takes care of the legalities involved. You still have several obligations. These include:
1. Title, Inspection, and Appraisal
Title, appraisals, and inspections are crucial parts of selling a house by owner in Colorado Springs. They all require agents/companies that could verify the data and aid in the selling process.
- Title: A clear title and a meticulous transfer are key to a real estate transaction. Title insurance protects you if there is any problem related to the prior ownership of the property. It makes you whole in case of a legal dispute related to the title.
- Inspection: A home inspector inspects the property before the home-buying process is completed. They check for any defects/repairs in the property and raise concerns accordingly. This ensures that the buyers don’t have to shell out money in case there are defects in the property which the seller did not highlight.
- Appraisal: An appraiser does market research and evaluates the price of a specific property. The appraisal manager ensures that a correct price is offered by the seller and as per the market value. Here’s how to prepare for a home appraisal.
CMA vs. Appraisal: Know the Difference
Here is a table depicting the difference between Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) and Appraisal:
|Performed by||Real estate agent/broker||Licensed appraiser|
|Purpose||Suggest the best listing price for a house||Help the bank determine the mortgage amount|
2. Paying all the Colorado Springs Seller Closing Costs
The real estate transaction is not only about real estate agent commission and sale price, but also includes other costs. These include.
- Agent Commission: Even if you are selling your property in Colorado Springs by owner, there are chances that you will interact with represented buyers. Buyer agent commission in Colorado Springs is around 2.5% to 3%.
- Title Insurance: It helps sellers/buyers from any legalities if there is a flaw in the ownership of the property. The insurance fee can be paid by either seller or buyer based on the negotiations.
- Transfer Tax: It is charged based upon the property’s sale price at the rate of one penny for every $100 of the purchase price.
- Attorney Fee: A real estate attorney is a closing agent in Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs real estate attorney fees could be between $2,500 and $3,000, depending on the location.
- Capital Gains Tax: You are required to pay a tax on the capital gain of the property. A capital gain is a difference between the amount for which a property was bought and the amount for which the property is sold.
How to Draft Your Colorado Springs For Sale By Owner Contract?
You can draft your own Colorado Springs FSBO contract, but we do not recommend it. It is best to hire a real estate attorney for drafting the contract. A real estate attorney would provide you with professional guidance when needed. They will also ensure the contract stands legally binding for both parties.
What is a For Sale By Owner Contract?
For Sale By Owner (FSBO) contract is a legally binding document used when selling a property by owner. A typical Colorado Springs FSBO contract contains the name of the buyer and the seller, contract date, property description, terms of payment, contingencies, etc.
» For Sale by Owner Contract: Who makes it, is it legally binding, and what does it contain?
What Colorado Springs Real Estate Documents do I Need?
Here are some key documents required for all Colorado Springs real estate sales:
- The HUD-1 or Closing Disclosure: When homes are purchased with a mortgage, you’ll summarize the detailed costs in the Closing Disclosure. If your sale is all cash, you may get the HUD-1, which is less common. These documents detail the amounts you’re charged for, your loan payoffs if any, and the net proceeds you will take to the bank.
- The Deed: It enables the legal transfer of title from the seller to the buyer. Read this document carefully, verifying all details including the legal description of the property, the deed book, the deed book page, and the Property Identification Number (PIN), if any.
- Colorado Springs Real Estate Purchase Agreement: It is a standard form of real estate contract that details the terms of transactions. It contains aspects such as sale price, financing contingencies, property description, etc.
- Bill of Sale: It contains information about the sellers and the buyer with the selling price.
- Statement of Closing Costs: This statement summarizes all the expenses involved in the transaction.
- Certificate of Title: It allows you to state that you have the right to sell the property.
There are also additional documents required in selling real estate in Colorado Springs. Some of the legal documents needed to sell a home without realtors in Colorado Springs or even otherwise are stated below:
- Loan Payoff: You need to provide proper documentation if the disbursement of the loan amount has been completed. Else, you need to provide how much you still owe.
- HOA Forms: If the house is part of HOA, the seller needs to give the buyer all the documentation on restrictions, fees, financials, and more.
- Survey Papers: The documentation defines the location and the dimensions of the property. This is important while selling your own home in Colorado Springs.
- Repairing Proof: While selling real estate, if the seller has made repairs to the property before the sale, they need to furnish the relevant documentation.
- Power of Attorney: If the property is inherited, then the seller needs to furnish the details of the history and how the property was passed onto him/her.
- Home Inspection Report: This contains all the details about the inspection of the property.
- Home Warranty Papers: It contains all the coverage of the property, period, and cost of insurance.
- Correction Agreement: A correction agreement is a document that allows buyers and sellers the scope to correct mistakes in some specific documents like a sale deed, a title deed, etc.
- Affidavits: A seller will need to provide a few affidavits like name affidavit, non-foreign, etc. This may also include affidavits like “Affidavit of Title” which discloses that you are the rightful owner of the property and that there are no liens on the property.
🚀 Blast Past Paperwork With Houzeo
Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish the listing formalities in <60 mins. Start NOW!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
If this is your first time selling a property or learning how to sell your own home in Colorado Springs, schedule an appointment with the closing agent before the date of the closing. Before that appointment, do your research and ask clarifying questions on anything you have doubts about. Readiness on how to sell a house by owner makes a huge difference.
Bring TWO Forms of Official ID
There will likely be a licensed notary involved who’ll require that you swear you are who you say you are. Take a valid driver’s license or passport for ID. Carry a secondary ID as well, just in case.
Closing documents are legally binding agreements. Ensure you keep the paperwork error-free or you can derail your sale and be forced to re-list your house.
Sell Your House Fast in Colorado Springs
Opt for the following ways to sell your home fast in Colorado Springs:
- How to Sell My House Fast in Colorado Springs: Discover Best Ways to Sell Your Colorado Springs House Quickly
- Selling a House AS IS in Colorado Springs: Selling a house as is in Colorado Springs means the buyer accepts the property in the existing condition. Read further to know how selling “as is” works in Colorado Springs.
- Companies that Buy Houses for Cash in Colorado Springs: Sell your distressed properties with Companies that Buy Houses for Cash. Discover the top companies that purchased houses for cash in Colorado Springs.
FSBO Alternatives You Might Consider
If saving money is the main goal you should consider the following:
- Selling FSBO with Houzeo: Houzeo provides the best combination of fast listing, max savings, maximum exposure, cutting-edge tech, and 5-star customer service.
- Flat Fee MLS Colorado Springs: Flat Fee MLS companies get you on the MLS for a small flat fee saving you thousands in commissions. Check out our rankings for the best Colorado Springs Flat Fee MLS companies.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Colorado Springs: If you want to save on commission but still need constant guidance and support, go for a discount broker. We have ranked the top discount brokers in Colorado Springs.
Bottom-line: Selling your Home Without a Realtor in Colorado Springs is Easy
The average real estate agent commission in Colorado Springs is around $29,000. You can save thousands in commissions by selling your home by owner in Colorado Springs with a sophisticated For Sale By Owner platform like Houzeo.
Best Way to Sell Your Home For Sale by Owner in Colorado Springs
Why Houzeo is #1: Houzeo provides the best combination of max savings, max exposure, cutting-edge tech, and 5-star customer service.
Packages: Houzeo offers 4 Flat Fee MLS packages.
- Bronze Package – $299: It is best for selling a lot. Your listing gets syndicated to Zillow, Trulia, Realtor, Redfin, and more.
- Silver Package – $349: This includes everything competitors like Fizber.com charge $399 for. In addition, you can make unlimited changes to your listing.
- Gold Package – $429: It is Houzeo’s signature package and includes all the technology Houzeo is known for: Houzeo Showings, Houzeo Offers, and Digital Transaction Management.
- Platinum Package – $999+: It includes the assistance of a licensed broker to help you with negotiations, disclosures, and closing.
Custom Yard Sign: To maximize exposure, Houzeo offers custom “For Sale” yard signs. It costs $49 and comes free with a selfie!
👉 Our Take: We recommend the GOLD plan. You’ll have access to Houzeo’s cutting-edge technology, making managing showings and offer negotiations easy!
» Houzeo reviews: Check what customers have to say about our services!
- Quick listing
- Nationwide coverage
- Mobile app availability
- Savings on commissions
- 100% online – easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers
- Listings get syndicated to Zillow, Realtor.com, Trulia, Redfin, and 100s of other sites
Houzeo is available nationwide.
» NEED MORE CLARITY? Watch exclusive Houzeo reviews and learn why the platform is the best in America’s competitive housing market.
Real People, Real Stories
Start Your FREE Listing NOW!
Related: housezo, houszeo, houzzeo, hozeo