From Des Moines to Davenport, Iowa’s housing market is experiencing a major shift. Home buyer demand has fallen sharply, and interest rates have reached record highs.
But even in this market, 36% of homes in Des Moines were bought in all cash. Cash buyers scour the MLS for properties. So if you are looking for a cash offer, you need to list your house on the MLS.
For home sellers, companies that buy houses for cash in Iowa are much more attractive than buyers with financing. Cash buyers offer certainty of sale, often eliminating home inspections and the hassle of lender approvals.
Cash buyers in Iowa also make instant offers, allowing you to close at your convenience with flexible closings.
🚀 The Rise of All Cash Offers
- Cash is King: 31.2% of Americans sold their homes for cash in December 2022, compared to 25.3% in all of 2020. This number is expected to rise in 2023 as financing becomes more expensive.
- iBuyers are Not a Viable Option: iBuyers have either shut down or have suffered massive losses. Our analysis suggests that iBuyers will offer much less than Fair Market Value (FMV) for your home in 2023 and 2024.
- Who Will Buy My House for Cash in Iowa: A cash marketplace like Houzeo.com is a great option to get multiple cash offers for your property. Des Moines Home Buyers and We Buy Ugly Houses are also good options.
Not all companies that buy houses for cash are the same. Some companies can get you 100% of your property’s fair market value, while others may offer as low as 50%.
We’ve ranked the best cash home buyers in Iowa so you can sell your house fast for cash.
Reviews: 7 Best Companies that Buy Houses for Cash in Iowa
Houzeo is the best option if you’re looking for multiple cash offers. Your MLS listing will be exposed to local and national cash buyers. In an attempt to win your property, investors could make multiple cash offers for your home.
- Service Fee – $349: Houzeo does not charge a 5% service fee or any undisclosed closing fee.
- Typical Offer: Up to 100% of your property’s fair market value (FMV).
- Eligible Properties: On Houzeo Marketplace, you can market properties in any condition and sell your house as is.
- Closing Offer Terms: You can specify your preferred closing date and the closing offer terms.
👉 Our Take: For sellers looking to maximize their cash offers, we recommend Houzeo’s Gold plan. You will have access to Houzeo’s advanced features to negotiate the best terms for your cash offer.
Houzeo is a real estate marketplace and America’s #1 Flat Fee MLS service because of 4 reasons:
- Max Exposure: Houzeo MLS packages give you access to the MLS and 100s of websites like Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, etc.
- 5-Star Customer Service: Houzeo has a fully staffed customer service desk available 6 days a week. Chats and emails are open 7 days a week.
- 100% Online: Houzeo is high-tech. For you, this means easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers. Houzeo Mobile App is also very powerful.
- No Listing Commission: In most states, you’ll be paying just a small flat fee to list on MLS. Houzeo covers 47 states + DC! And remember, all fees are disclosed upfront, so there are no Houzeo hidden fees. You get to bypass the listing agent commission!
With a typical cash buyer, you only get an offer from that specific cash house buyer. Because there is no competition, that typical cash buyer will only offer 30% to 70% of your property’s value.
Houzeo is America’s most advanced real estate marketplace. If you list on the Houzeo marketplace, your listing gets exposed to Iowa home buyers and national cash buyers via the MLS.
This increased competition for cash offers for your house will ensure you get up to 100% of your property’s value.
» Iowa Flat Fee MLS: List your home for a flat fee and attract IA house cash buyers!
2. Des Moines Home Buyers, LLC
Des Moines Home Buyers, LLC is a “we buy houses for cash” buyer based in Des Moines, IA. The company has been in business since 2004 and typically caters to distressed home sellers looking for cash offers.
- Service Fee: None
- Typical Offer: 50% to 70% of Fair Market Value (FMV)
- Eligible Properties: Distressed properties with structural issues, couples going through a divorce, a death in the family, bad mortgage financing, inherited houses, high-crime neighborhoods, etc.
- Closing Offer Terms: Des Moines Home Buyers, LLC provides a flexible closing date, up to 30 days out.
👉 Our Take: Des Moines Home Buyers, LLC is for looking to close quickly and doesn’t expect great returns for their properties.
- Instant Cash Offers: They give a free, no-obligation offer within 24 hours for damaged properties as well.
- Flexible Closing: You can choose closing dates at your convenience. Des Moines Home Buyers, LLC takes 7-30 days to close the deal.
- No Additional Costs: There are no service fees, no commissions, and you need not even pay closing costs.
- Sell As-Is: You save on repair costs and home staging costs and sell your house as-is.
In our research, we found some dealbreakers of Des Moines Home Buyers LLC:
- Inflexible Offer Terms: Offer terms are inflexible, and may use controversial tactics to close the cash home deal.
- Lowball Cash Offer: Des Moines Home Buyers LLC may put in lowball cash offers of around 50% to 70% of the fair market value. This is lower than what you can get on the open market.
Des Moines Home Buyers, LLC has a rating of 5 stars from 21 reviews on Google Reviews.
Des Moines Home Buyers is a local cash home buyer who has been in business for the past 15 years. They have coverage only in limited areas in the Des Moines metro area.
They have put a notice on their website that fake accounts are operating using their name. So double-check before you choose them.
3. We Buy Ugly Houses
We Buy Ugly Houses is a 20-year-old cash home buyer franchise. Independent real estate investors own and run each franchisee office. The parent company trains the franchisee but doesn’t micromanage their cash home-buying preferences. The brand, We Buy Ugly Houses is owned by HomeVestors.
- Service Fee: None
- Typical Offer: 50% to 70% of Fair Market Value (FMV)
- Eligible Properties: Ugly homes with structural issues, bad mortgage financing, inherited houses, high-crime neighborhoods, etc.
- Closing Offer Terms: WeBuyUglyHouses provides a flexible closing date, up to 30 days out. Offer terms are subject to change based on the local franchisee office.
👉 Our Take: We Buy Ugly Houses is best for sellers who want to unload their distressed houses quickly. You shouldn’t expect more than 70% of your property’s market value.
- Fast Cash Offers for Homes: WeBuyUglyHouses.com will share a preliminary cash offer for your property in 24 to 48 business hours.
- Zero Service Fees: WeBuy Ugly Houses doesn’t charge any service fee in exchange for the convenience of selling your home for cash.
- Fast Closing: We Buy Ugly Houses.com will close in just seven days after you accept their cash offer.
- Firm Cash Offer: We Buy Ugly House’s cash offer is usually in line with the preliminary cash offer unless the inspector identifies major flaws during the home inspection.
- Wide Coverage: We Buy Ugly Houses offers cash for homes in 1,100 locations across 45 states.
» We Buy Ugly Houses Review: How does WeBuyUglyHouses.com calculate your cash offer?
In our research, we found some issues associated with We Buy Ugly Houses.
- Lowball Cash Offer: We Buy Ugly Houses pays less than what sellers could get on the open market. The cash offer is around 50% to 70% of the property’s fair market value.
- WeBuyUgly Houses.com is Not 100% Online: We Buy Ugly has a limited tech stack. This means a lot of processes, like requesting a counteroffer or managing inspections, will be offline and manual. They don’t even have a mobile app.
- Non-Negotiable Cash Offers: We Buy Ugly Houses will not offer more than 70% of your property’s fair market value. They rarely increase the price quoted in the initial cash offer.
- Inconsistent Quality of Service: When you work with house buyers like WeBuy UglyHouses, you sell your house to a local real estate investor. The service quality will differ based on the independent investor you are dealing with.
We Buy Ugly Houses, a trademark of “HomeVestors”, operates on a franchisee model. Local investors or those flipping houses in the U.S. are the owners of these franchises. They buy Iowa houses for cash as-is.
Each WeBuyUglyHouses franchisee has its own rules, so the cash offer terms and service quality may not be consistent.
» Selling a Home As Is in Iowa: Check out our guide for selling your Iowa house as-is.
1-800-CashOffer has a network of cash buyers. This network includes seasoned professionals and real estate veterans, not amateur flippers.
The cash offer is calculated based on local market data. It is possible to get multiple cash offers for your house if it is in a desirable neighborhood.
- Service Fee: None
- Typical Offer: 50% to 70% of Fair Market Value (FMV)
- Eligible Properties: 1-800-CashOffer will make a cash offer in distressed, unfavorable locations as well as desirable neighborhoods.
- Closing Offer Terms: 1-800-CashOffer provides a flexible closing timeline, up to 90 days out. The offer terms may be negotiable.
👉 Our Take: 1-800-CashOffer is best for home sellers who don’t wish to make any repairs and don’t mind selling their home at a lower rate.
- Nationwide Coverage: 1-800-CashOffer offers cash for houses in all 50 states.
- Multiple Cash Offers: If your home is in a desirable neighborhood, you could get multiple cash offers.
- Zero Service Fees: 1-800-Cash doesn’t charge any service fee or closing costs.
- No Upfront Costs: You don’t have to fix or spend dollars on renovation costs. You can request cash for your house in its existing consition.
- Offers May be Less than Fair Market Value: 1800-Cash-Offer investors pay less than what you can get on the open market. The cash offer is typically ~50% to 70% of the property’s fair market value.
- “Cash for Homes” Scams: This network is not pre-vetted; anyone can claim to be a cash investor. You could end up losing your home to we buy houses ripoff schemes if you aren’t careful. Never sign any document without consulting a real estate attorney.
1-800-CashOffer has a 5 out of 5 stars on the Better Business Bureau.
1-800-Cash Offer is one of the oldest cash home buyer networks in the U.S. You can call on +1-800 toll-free to request cash for your property.
You may not get maximum cash for your house, though. These home cash buyers will only offer up to 70% of the home’s fair market value.
HomeVestors is a nationwide network of real estate investors. Each office is operated by a local real estate investor independently. This cash home buyer company is the parent brand of We Buy Ugly Houses.
- Service Fee: None.
- Typical Offer: 50% to 70% of Fair Market Value (FMV).
- Eligible Properties: Distressed properties with foundational issues, houses of couples going through a divorce, homes with bad mortgages, inherited homes, properties in high-crime neighborhoods, etc.
- Closing Offer Terms: HomeVestors provides a flexible closing date, up to 30 days out. Offer terms are inflexible and depend on the local real estate investor of your region.
👉 Our Take: This cash buyer company is best for home sellers looking to unload an extremely distressed house quickly.
- Fast Cash for Distressed Homes: HomeVestor investors make fast cash offers, regardless of the property’s condition. The initial offer is based on comparable properties in the area and housing market trends.
- Zero Service Fees: Home Vestors doesn’t charge any service fee when you sell your property for cash.
- Zero Upfront Costs: When selling to HomeVestors.Com, you don’t need to prep the home or worry about repairs. There is no listing paperwork or need for photography!
- Flexible Closing: You can choose a flexible closing schedule when you sell to HomeVestors, the ‘Home buyers of America.’
- Near Nationwide Coverage: HomeVestors has 800 independently owned franchisee offices in 45 states.
» How much does Homevestors pay for houses? click here to know more about the price.
In our research, we came across some deal breakers with HomeVestors.
- Lowball Cash Offer: HomeVestors pays less than what sellers could gain on the open market. The cash offer is ~50% to 70% of the property’s FMV.
- HomeVestors Will Spam You: Past sellers have complained about HomeVestor’s incessant spamming. The emails don’t stop even if you decline their cash offer and unsubscribe from the mailing list.
- HomeVestors.com is Not 100% Online: Home Vestors has a limited tech stack. This means a lot of processes, like requesting a counteroffer or managing inspections, will be offline and manual. They don’t even have a mobile app.
- Inconsistent Quality of Service: When you sell to HomeVestors, you sell your house to a local investor. The service quality will differ based on that investor’s franchisee.
HomeVestors is the biggest cash home buyer franchisor in the U.S., with over 800 offices nationwide. The company also owns the “We Buy Ugly Houses” brand.
Each HomeVestors office is independently owned and operated by a local real estate investor. HomeVestors’ investors typically offer 50% to 70% of the fair market value. They may also deduct the cost of repairs at closing.
6. ASAP Cash Home Buyers
ASAP Cash Home Buyers started their journey in 2013. They are a reputable cash buyer who refers their clients to credit and legal counseling services.
- Service Fee: None
- Typical Offer: 50% to 70% of the Fair Market Value (FMV)
- Eligible Properties: Extremely distressed properties with structural issues, couples going through a divorce, a death in the family, bad mortgage financing, inherited houses, high-crime neighborhoods, empty lots, etc.
- Closing Offer Terms: They provide a flexible closing date from 3 weeks to any date of your choosing.
👉 Our Take: ASAP Cash Home Buyers’ is a good choice if you want to save on repair costs. However, you have to settle for a price significantly below the fair market value.
» ASAP Cash Home Buyer Review: Here’s everything you need to know.
- Flexible Closing Date: You can set a closing date as per your convenience.
- No Hidden Costs: ASAP Cash Home Buyers have no undisclosed fees or hidden costs.
- Sell As-Is: They buy houses as-is saving you repair and home staging costs.
Here are some drawbacks of ASAP Cash Home Buyers that we came across in our research:
- Inconsistent Quality of Service: When you sell to a cash buyer franchise, you sell your house to a local real estate investor. The service quality will differ based on the independent investor you are dealing with.
- No Commercial Properties: ASAP Cash Home Buyers are not interested in properties like timeshares, hotels, or rental communities.
- Limited Customer Reviews: You cannot be sure about their service with only a handful of reviews on Google and nothing on other platforms.
ASAP Cash Home Buyers have a rating of 3.7 out of 5-star with 3 reviews on Google.
ASAP Cash Home Buyers was founded in Fort Lauderdale, FL. They are a group of real estate professionals with over a decade of experience.
They have nationwide coverage but in every state you have different buyers making the quality of service questionable without proper research.
» Flat Fee MLS Listing Services Near You: List your home on the open market with a local flat fee service.
7. House Cashin
House Cashin is an online platform that connects home sellers to credible real estate investors and other parties. You can receive multiple cash offers on your property within 24 hours.
- Service Fee: None
- Typical Offer: 50% to 70% of Fair Market Value (FMV)
- Eligible Properties: All types of distressed properties including damaged houses, inherited properties, and homes facing foreclosures, etc.
- Closing Offer Terms: Once you accept an offer from an investor, they close within 3 to 30 days.
👉 Our Take: House Cashin is a company that connects homeowners with potential buyers. Since there are multiple offers, you can pick one at your convenience.
- Competitive Cash Offers: House Cashin can provide up to 5 no-obligation all-cash offers on your property within 24 hours.
- Nationwide Coverage: House Cashin offers its services in all 50 states and Washington D.C.
- Zero Service Charges: No commissions or closing costs.
- Sell As-Is: You can save on repair costs and sell your house as-is.
» House Cashin Pros and Cons: Learn more merits and demerits of House Cashin.
In our research, we came across some dealbreakers with House Cashin.
- Inconsistent Quality of Service: The offers made on your property via House Cashin are by local real estate investors. The service quality will differ based on the independent investor you are dealing with.
- Non-Negotiable Cash Offers: Although you receive multiple offers, no investor may offer more than 70% of your property’s fair market value. Even if your property isn’t distressed, they will rarely budge on the offer price.
House Cashin is an online platform that connects home sellers with real estate investors interested in buying property. They offer their services across all 50 states.
House Cashin provides up to 5 competitive, all-cash offers on your property. Once you choose from the proposed offers, the investor will close on your property within 3 to 30 days.
» How to Request Highest and Best Offers? Check out our video on how to procure the best potential offer in a multiple-offer situation.
iBuyers That No Longer Offer Cash for Iowa Homes
- Zillow Offers: Zillow, the biggest real estate marketplace, started its iBuying arm in 2018. After losing $881M while over-paying cash for properties, in November 2021, Zillow stopped buying houses. Check out the story of the fall of Zillow Offers.
- RedfinNow: Redfin, the biggest discount real estate broker in the U.S., entered the home-flipping business with RedfinNow in 2017. In November 2022, RedfinNow shut down due to increasing operating costs.
Are Companies That Buy Houses for Cash in Iowa Legit?
Yes, companies that buy houses for cash in Iowa or cash house buyers are legitimate and operate legally nationwide.
🚨 Cash for Houses Scams: Remember to inspect how the cash company operates before you sign any real estate contract. A legitimate home buyer will never ask you to pay cash!
Types of Cash Home Buyers
Companies that buy homes for cash in Iowa help home sellers skip the hassle of listing on the MLS, marketing, home staging, etc. The four types of cash home buyers are:
- “We Buy Houses for Cash” Companies: The “fix-and-flip” house cash buyers that buy distressed properties, make repairs, and sell on the open market. Iowa home buyers pay 30% to 70% of the home’s fair market value and don’t have any service fees or closing costs.
- iBuyers: Home-buying companies that use proprietary algorithms and determine a cash offer for your house. In 2023, iBuyers will offer ~70% to 80% of the fair market value.
- Buy-and-Hold Cash Buyers: A buy-and-hold cash buyer in Iowa will convert a distressed house into a rental property. They do not sell the upgraded property for a one-time profit and will enjoy a steady source of income.
- Home Trade-In Services: A home trade-in company will offer cash on your house to help you buy another property. They fund your next house while you sell the one you’re living in.
- 🏚️ Selling a Home in Poor Condition in Iowa: We recommend “We Buy Houses for Cash” companies if your property is in bad shape. If the property only needs cosmetic repairs, you should list your home on Iowa MLS. You can get up to 100% of the fair market value on the open market!
Top “We Buy Houses in Iowa” Companies Near You
|1. Sioux City, IA||We Buy Houses for Cash in Sioux City, IA|
How Do Companies That Buy Houses for Cash Work?
“We buy houses for cash” companies buy Iowa houses “as-is” at much lower than the market value. They mostly work offline. Let’s look at the steps involved when you sell your house to a “We Buy Houses for Cash” company:
- Share Your Property Details: Cash buyer companies in IA will collect basic information like the location and condition of your property. You can share this via phone or their website.
- Review the Preliminary Cash Offer: The “cash for homes” Iowa company will make an offer after comparing similar properties in the area. Typically it is 30% to 70% of the home’s fair market value.
- Complete a Home Inspection: Iowa home inspectors will perform an inspection if you accept the initial offer. After adjusting repair expenses and holding costs, the cash house-buying company will send a final offer.
- Accept the Final Cash Offer & Close: If the Iowa home cash buyer’s final cash offer matches your expectations, then you can finalize the closing timeline.
» Sell My Iowa House Fast: Check out 5 ways to sell your Iowa house fast in 2023.
How Much Do Iowa “We Buy Houses Cash” Companies Pay?
Companies that pay cash for houses in Iowa use the 70% ARV rule.
Suppose your home is worth $300,000, and you have a defective roof that will cost $25,000 in repairs. So, you can expect a cash offer of about $185,000.
The 70% ARV Rule: Iowa house buyers will never pay more than 70% of the property’s fair market value. They have to repair and renovate the acquired homes. The overhead expenses are deducted from your home sale proceeds.
» How Much are Closing Costs for Seller in Iowa: Find home sale proceeds from selling your house in Iowa.
“We Buy Houses for Cash” Iowa: Pros and Cons
The biggest benefit of Iowa cash buyers is their speed and convenience. Selling a house for cash will almost always net you 10% to 30% less than a financed offer though. Let’s look at the pros and cons of selling a home to a cash home buyer:
- Fast Cash Sale: In the traditional model, you have to list on the MLS and wait for potential buyers. However, with “We Buy Houses for Cash” companies, you get a cash offer within 24-48 hours of submitting details on their website.
- Flexible Closing: “We Buy Houses Cash Iowa” companies move faster than traditional buyers. Home sellers can close on their timeline and need not wait for listing paperwork or mortgage pre-approvals!
- No Service Fees: “Cash for homes” companies don’t charge any service fees. The net profit after fixing and selling your home is enough for them to sustain their fix-and-flip model.
- No Upfront Costs: To earn maximum cash, home sellers invest in real estate photography and staging before listing on the MLS. IA cash home buyers purchase homes as-is, so you can skip marketing or repair costs.
- Lowball Cash Offers: Companies that buy homes in Iowa generally pay 50% to 70% of the home’s fair market value, deducting all repair, utility, and re-selling expenses. Although there may be room for negotiations, you can’t expect more than 70% of the market value of your home.
- Non-Negotiable Deals: When dealing with “cash for houses” companies, the deal is usually take-it-or-leave-it. You can try to negotiate if the company overlooked something important, but most cash companies will not budge on price.
- Some Cash Buyers Will Make You Pay Closing Costs: Homeowners are forced to pay the seller’s closing costs, and it’s not disclosed on the cash buyer’s site. You should always read the terms and conditions document carefully.
» Estimate Seller Closing Costs Iowa: Breakdown of closing costs you incur as an IA home seller.
Alternatives to Companies That Buy Houses for Cash in Iowa
- List Your Home With a Flat Fee MLS Service: With a Flat Fee MLS service you can get up to 100% of the fair market value on the open market. High-tech For Sale By Owner websites like Houzeo will list your home on the local MLS within 24-48 hours and help you sell fast! 22% of homes listed on MLS sold above their final list price in February 2023.
- Hire a Top Realtor: Iowa Realtors have the expertise to help you sell your property fast within a set timeline. However, the best realtors will charge a 6% commission. That amounts to thousands of dollars in realtor commission! It’s the worst option if you want to earn maximum cash.
- Sell “For Sale By Owner”: Selling your home purely For Sale By Owner implies no access to the MLS. You market your property, conduct market research, manage offers and showings, etc., all by yourself.
» For Sale By Owner Websites in Iowa: Check out the best FSBO sites in the Hawkeye State.
Frequently Asked Questions about Iowa Cash Buyers
1. What is the best company that buys houses for cash in Iowa?
Houzeo is the most popular platform for Iowa sellers looking for cash offers. Houzeo.com lets you access the power of the MLS for a small flat fee, giving you exposure to cash home buyers. iBuyers, including Opendoor, have also made offers on properties listed on Houzeo.com.
» How Much Does it Cost to List on MLS: Read to Know Why MLS Listings are Worth the Cost.
2. Do We Buy Houses companies in Iowa make fair offers?
Yes! iBuyers will offer up to 100% of the fair market value of your property. Local “we buy houses in Iowa" companies will typically offer less than 50% to 70% of the fair market value. Listing your home on a marketplace like Houzeo.com will get you exposure to iBuyers and local investors. This significantly increases your chances of maximizing your cash offer.
3. How can I sell my house fast for cash in Iowa?
Opt for a cash buyer marketplace. “We buy houses for cash” companies in Iowa are best for distressed homes. They will offer 50% to 70% of the fair market value. An iBuyer will have strict purchase criteria and may not offer more than 70% to 80% of FMV. Marketplaces like Houzeo let you expose your property to nationwide cash buyers and iBuyers simultaneously.