47% of home buyers search for properties online. As a home seller, you need to find a real estate website in California that will provide powerful tech tools at low costs.
As a home buyer, you need a great agent for negotiations, maximizing buyer rebates, and stellar customer support.
A good real estate website can steer your way through these choppy waters and give you smooth and hassle-free real estate transactions.
We’ve spent thousands of hours researching and reviewing the best real estate websites in the Golden State. Here are our rankings:
Rankings: 7 Best Real Estate Websites in California
🏅 Best Real Estate Sites in California
- Houzeo: Best Technology
- Beycome: Affordable Features
- Zillow: Biggest Database
- Redfin: Best Discounted Brokerage
- Compass: In-person Support & Technology
- Vanguard Properties: Various Services
- Century 21: Brand Recognition
Reviews: Best California Real Estate Websites of 2023
MOST ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY
Houzeo is a 100% online home-selling platform. It is the best way to sell your home fast and save thousands in commission. Houzeo offers you 4 FSBO MLS listing packages.
- Bronze Package – $99+: This package offers Houzeo listing only for 6 months with maximum photos.
- Silver Package – $379+: This includes everything that home sellers typically look for.
- Gold Package – $379+: It is Houzeo’s signature MLS package and includes all the technology Houzeo is known for Houzeo Showings, Houzeo Offers, and DigiTransact.
- Platinum – $349+: It includes the assistance of a licensed broker to help you with negotiations, disclosures, and closing.
👉 Our Take: We recommend Houzeo’s Gold plan for most home sellers. It’s only $399 in most markets and provides you access to high-tech features like Houzeo Offers and Houzeo Showings.
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo has an “Excellent” rating of 4.9 out of 5.0 stars on Google & Trustpilot
Houzeo is America’s #1 Flat Fee MLS service because of 8 reasons:
- Licensed Broker Support: Houzeo allows you to sell your house by owner, with a 5-star rated customer support team.
- Homes For Sale: Buyers can explore FSBO homes for sale and directly make an offer online.
- Advanced Search: Home buyers can also access Houzeo’s advanced search feature. Using filters, you can narrow down to the exact home you’re searching for.
- Max Exposure: Houzeo MLS packages give you access to the MLS, Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, and 100s of other websites.
- 5-star Customer Service: Houzeo has a fully staffed customer service desk available 6 days a week. Chats and emails are open 7 days a week. This is rare in today’s world.
- 100% Online: Houzeo is high-tech. For you, this means easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers. Houzeo Mobile App is also very powerful.
- No Listing Commission: In most states, you’ll be paying just a small flat fee to list on MLS. Houzeo covers 47 states + DC. And remember, all fees are disclosed upfront, so there are no Houzeo hidden fees.
- Get Thousands Back in Buyer Rebates: In all but 10 states, brokers on Houzeo offer thousands in rebates back to home buyers.
There are no dealbreakers with Houzeo.
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is rated “Excellent” with a 4.9 out of 5 star rating by 4,523 home sellers on Google Reviews and Trustpilot!
Houzeo has a 4.9/5 rating on Google & Trustpilot.
Houzeo.com is California’s #1 real estate company, as it provides an unbeatable combination of max savings, 5-star customer support, and cutting-edge technology.
Houzeo offers California’s FSBO home sellers affordable listing packages. Your home will be listed within 48 hours. Even if you’re new to selling FSBO, Houzeo’s offer management and showings tool will help you ace your real estate journey like a pro.
Online Home Transactions
Beycome is a digital real estate platform that provides numerous services to home buyers, renters, and sellers. It connects buyers, sellers, and renters directly without any intermediaries, saving time and money.
- Basic Package: This package is priced at $99. It includes MLS listing on local as well as top real estate sites. It lists your property in less than 36 hours. Plus, free legal forms and disclosures, and complete legal offers online. Direct connection with buyers. They also offer Customer Service 7/7 in English and Spanish, and Call/Chat/Email support is available. Full assistance and guidance throughout the process.
- Enhanced Package: This package is priced at $399. It includes basic package features, plus additional services such as personalized yard signage, a lockbox for showings, featured listing status on beycome.com, and a YouTube virtual tour video are all included.
- Concierge Service: This package is priced at $599. It includes enhanced package features, plus additional services like Full negotiation and paperwork support, Full Immersive 3D tour, and Comparative Market Analysis (CMA).
There are no buyer’s fees, and using Beycome’s platform is completely free. They charge a standard 3% fee, deduct $999 from the commission, and refund the difference in the form of a check or credit for the buyer’s closing costs.
👉 Our Take: Beycome’s prices are reasonable, and their technology is useful. We recommend them for their CMA tool and support.
Here are some advantages of Beycome you should consider before choosing them:
- User-friendly website: Beycome offers a powerful dashboard to its users. Through this dashboard, sellers can schedule open houses, handle communications, manage offers online, etc.
- Support: The website provides assistance 24/7, which can be helpful for users.
- Tools: Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) tool which is used to find a property’s value and helps in pricing the property competitively.
Beycome has some major limitations that users should be aware of.
- Limited coverage: It is only available in 10 states
- Average Customer Reviews: According to reviews, customers had to manage logistics and price negotiation showings alone. Also, there are issues in solving queries and a lack of customer support.
Beycome has a 4.6 out of 5 stars rating on Google
» Beycome Reviews: Know why it is not the best way to sell with Beycome in 2023.
Beycome’s MLS listing packages are reasonably priced at $99 and $399. The basic package offers legal forms, California seller’s disclosure statement, an Open House scheduler, and customer support.
We recommend the $399 Enhanced Package for first-time FSBO home sellers. Along with the basic package, this package includes a photography session and your listing is syndicated to Craigslist and various social media.
Extensive Property Data
Zillow is the largest real estate marketplace in the United States and has more than 40 million unique users every month.
FSBO Listing on Zillow – $0: You can list your home for free on Zillow’s FSBO platform.
MLS Listing via Zillow Premier Agent – 3% commission: A Zillow Premier Agent will assist you throughout your home selling process. However, this is the traditional way to sell your home and not the FSBO way.
👉 Our Take: If you are going FSBO, then we do not recommend Zillow as it limits your exposure. Further, you can also get multiple unsolicited calls from listing agents.
Here are some advantages of choosing Zillow:
- Biggest Database: Zillow has 135 million homes in its database. That makes Zillow the best website to start your home search on.
- Advanced Search: Zillow has saved your search criteria with its “save search” feature. It has more than 20 filters to narrow down your ideal property based on the preferences of price, beds and baths, home type, and many more.
- Largest Marketplace: With many tools and information for buyers, Zillow is the largest real estate website for buyers, renters, real estate agents, and much more.
- Mobile App: Yes.
Zillow has some major drawbacks that a user should be aware of.
- Poor Customer Reviews: Poor customer reviews and record-breaking debacles, as seen on Trustpilot.
- Your Listing Will be Hidden: Zillow hides FSBO listings under the “Other Listings” section, which most home buyers aren’t aware of.
- Buyer Leads go to Local Agents: Zillow does not prominently display owner information. Any buyer who tries to contact you will be matched with a Zillow agent instead.
- Your Info Will Become an FSBO Lead for Listing Agents: Agents target Zillow FSBO listings to extract owner info. You will get numerous unsolicited calls from these agents asking you to list with them.
Zillow has a poor rating of 1.7 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot.
Zillow is the most popular real estate website in California. It extracts the data from top MLS platforms and assists buyers and agents to view the listings directly on the platform.
Sites like Zillow provides an on-demand buying experience. However, Zillow has poor customer reviews and record-breaking debacles.
BEST TECH-ENABLED BROKERAGE
Redfin is one of America’s top discount real estate brokerages. This low-commission broker specializes in home buying. Redfin.com’s technology is what sets it apart from all other platforms.
- Redfin Full-Service Agent – 1.5% Commission: This is a full-service package. This includes pricing assistance, listing paperwork, negotiation support, etc.
- Redfin Concierge – 2.5% Commission: The “Concierge” plan includes everything from the Full-Service package. Additionally, it includes services like professional cleaning, home staging, and more.
- Redfin Premier Agent – 1.5% Commission: This package is exclusively for luxury properties and includes everything that comes with the Full-Service package.
👉 Our Take: We recommend Redfin’s concierge service. This service enhances the value of your house with a professionally managed design plan and no upfront fees.
» Selling With Redfin: Is it worth selling with Redfin?
Here are some advantages of choosing Redfin:
- Advanced Technology: Redfin is primarily known for its advanced tech platform and mobile app.
- Full-Service Agents at Low Commission – 1.5%: Redfin’s full-service package is priced at 1.5%. It saves you thousands compared to the traditional 3% listing commission.
- Buyer Rebate – 0.5%: Clients who sell and buy with Redfin within one year get a rebate of 0.5% in the second transaction. However, this offer is available with the Full Service Plan.
- Detailed Paperwork: Redfin provides the necessary paperwork and an elaborate listing agreement with a marketing plan.
- Nationwide Coverage: Redfin covers 80+ markets in the US.
» What is Redfin? Is it truly a smart choice to choose them? Read the comprehensive review to know more!
In our research, we found some red flags of Redfin, that could make your experience less satisfactory.
- Lack of Personalized Services: Customers have often complained that Redfin agents are not able to give personalized service, as they serve a high volume of clients.
- Poor Customer Reviews: Customers have complained that agents are often unreachable and unprofessional.
- Slow Listing Process: According to Redfin’s listing agreement, a Redfin property takes 18 days to list on MLS. Services like Houzeo will list you on the MLS within 24 to 48 hours.
- Limited Agent Selection: As per customer reviews, Redfin lacks an array of agents. This means you get an agent assigned automatically without having any choice in the matter.
- Agents are Less Incentivized: Unlike traditional agents who work for commission, Redfin agents get a fixed salary. This can demotivate them from offering you additional services.
» Redfin hidden Fees: Check this out to learn more about their hidden fees.
Redfin has an average rating of 3.3 out of 5 stars on Consumer Affairs.
» Redfin Reviews: The Reality of 1% Fees, Pros, Cons, & Alternatives!
Redfin is America’s best discount real estate brokerage that specializes in home buying. Also, it offers a ‘Redfin Refund’ where if you sell or buy with them you get a refund.
Redfin has a very slow listing process. It takes almost 18 days to list on the MLS as per Redfin’s listing agreement. But, services like Houzeo will list your house on MLS within 24 to 48 hours.
BEST FOR IN-PERSON SUPPORT & TECH
Compass is a real estate technology company that provides an online platform for buying, renting, and selling properties.
Agents’ commissions vary according to their region of operation. Although these luxury experiences will typically cost you the full 6% real estate broker commission, or more.
👉 Our Take: Working with Compass agents will guarantee you sell your property for top dollar or buy your dream home effortlessly.
Compass offers good service in the states they are available in:
- Market Exposure: Compass promotes your property using print, digital, and social media designed to pique buyers’ interest.
- Compass Concierge: This includes everything from staging, and painting, to cosmetic renovation. You will not be charged a fee until your home sale has gone through.
- Private Listings: They have a private exclusive section of listings that aren’t on the open market. These listings are cheaper, as they are not advertised.
- Agent Resource: Their agents have access to a course library, business tracker, CRM, and a compass mobile.
In our research, we came across some deal breakers with Compass.
- Limited Coverage: Compass Real Estate is only available in 17 states.
- Traditional Realtor Commission: Compass Real Estate follows the traditional realtor commission model and you will end up paying a 6% commission.
Compass Real Estate has an average rating of 4.24 out of 5 stars on Agent Advice.
Compass combines technology with the agent’s talent to make the home search and selling easier. Compass listings take fewer days on the market than the industry average.
However, they have limited coverage. They also follow traditional realtor commissions, you will end up paying a 6% commission.
6. Vanguard Properties
San Francisco-based Vanguard Properties has been in business for over 35 years. The local ownership and operation of Vanguard Properties make it uniquely qualified to serve the communities it serves.
Pricing is not disclosed on the website, this means you might end up paying the traditional 3% to 6% commission.
👉 Our Take: We recommend Vanguard Properties for its vast network.
- Deal in Commercial Real Estate: Vanguard Properties has 30+ years of Southern California multifamily and commercial experience.
- Vast Network: They offer you a vast local and global agent network when you connect to them as a seller.
- Add-On Services: They provide various services like open houses, premium technology systems, and marketing research to make the sale well.
- Limited Coverage: Vanguard Properties only covers San Francisco, Marin County, Sonoma and Napa Counties, and East Bay.
- No Mobile App: Vanguard Properties does not have its own mobile app to ease out the process.
- Poor Customer Reviews: Vanguard Properties have average to poor customer reviews on Yelp.
Vanguard Properties has 2.5 out of 5 stars on Yelp reviews
Vanguard Properties has over 35 years of experience selling properties in the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California. As a home seller, you get access to a vast agent network.
However, they have limited coverage and do not provide mobile app. Additionally, Vanguard Properties have average to poor customer reviews, hence it is advisable to do your research.
7. Century 21
Century 21 is one of the world’s largest real estate brokerage firms. It operates in every U.S. State and 82 other countries.
Pricing is not disclosed on the website, this means you might end up paying the traditional 3% to 6% commission.
👉 Our Take: We recommend Century21 to first-time home seller. Along with listing, you will get access to contract reviews, offer management, closing, and a lot more.
Here are some advantages of choosing Century21:
- Global Coverage: Century 21 operates in every U.S. State and 82 other countries.
- Market Exposure: It has good brand recognition and over 14,000 independent franchise real estate brokers working with over 122,000 real estate agents.
- Professional Real Estate Agents: According to previous customers, Century 21 has knowledgeable and highly professional agents.
- Best for First-Time Home Sellers: Home sellers get access to contract reviews, handle their own listing, offer management, closing, and a lot more.
Century21 has some major drawbacks that a user should be aware of.
- No Discounts or Rebates: The agent’s fees of Century 21 are usually high. They do not offer any discounts or rebates.
- Delayed Services: Previous customers have stated that the agents were not helpful and it delayed the process.
Century 21 has an average rating of 3.2 out of 5 stars on Consumer Affairs
Century 21 is one of the world’s largest real estate brokerage firms, with over 14,000 independent franchises. It provides huge market exposure as it operates in all 51 states of the US.
However, many customers have reported delayed services and no discounts or rebates.
⚠️Beware: Real Estate Websites to Avoid
Some real estate companies pretend to be “free.” But, in reality, you will pay hefty fees and realtor commissions at closing with these firms.
- Clever Real Estate: Clever Real Estate promotes itself as a free resource for FSBO home sellers. If you choose Clever, you will be forced to use an agent. And that agent will kick back 25% to 40% of the commission you pay back to Clever as a “referral fee.” Check out the Clever Real estate Reviews to know more.
- FSBO.com: FSBO.com is a nationwide Flat Fee MLS company that provides For Sale By Owner MLS service. Pricing and services vary quite drastically by state. Read FSBO.com reviews before signing a contract.
- Craigslist: Craigslist is the biggest classified website in the U.S. In terms of traffic, it is the second most visited website with more than 140 million monthly visitors. But it can also attract scammers and fraud cash house buyers. Read Craigslist reviews before making any offers.
Types of Real Estate Websites in California
Real estate websites can be categorized into 6 main types:
- Home Selling Websites: Home-selling websites in California help home sellers list properties online. The best home-selling websites provide maximum exposure to the property and make the sale in a short time.
- Home Buying Websites: Home-buying websites in California help buyers search for properties online. Perfect home-buying sites must provide efficient tools, adequate resources, and impressive features to work upon.
- Best Rental Websites: Rental websites help you find rental properties in California. Some rental websites also allow property owners to lease their properties and reach out to potential customers.
- Best Property Search Websites: The best house-hunting websites help you search for all types of properties online. This includes homes, rental properties, plots, ranches, and commercial properties.
- Best MLS Listing Websites: Best MLS listing sites help you list your property online for free or for a small listing fee. These best real estate listing websites list on other MLS to provide greater exposure to the property. Check out the best Flat Fee real estate services in the US.
- Best Real Estate Investor Websites: Websites for real estate investing help investors with property resources, price trends, and community forums on the best property sites.
How to Choose the Best Real Estate Website in California?
You can choose the best real estate websites based on these important factors:
- Maximum Exposure: Real estate websites provide an option to list on MLS without realtor in California. Additionally, they provide social media sharing features and are customizable for sale by owner yard signs with the seller’s phone number.
- Strong Technology: With technology, selling a house without a realtor can become much faster and more efficient. Real estate websites also offer virtual home tours, open houses, and manage showings online.
- Responsive Customer Service: Real estate websites provide customer support to make your real estate transaction smooth.
Why Houzeo is the #1 Real Estate Website in California?
Houzeo.com is the #1 real estate website in California thanks to its combination of max savings, 5-star customer service, and cutting-edge technology.
- Max Exposure: It gives you access to the MLS, Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, and 100s of other websites.
- 100% Online: Easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers.
- 5-star Customer Service: You get assistance from the list to close with Houzeo Concierge.
- No Listing Commission: In most states, you’ll be paying just a small flat fee to get access to the MLS.
- Real Estate On the Go: The Houzeo Mobile App allows you to access features of Houzeo’s web platform on any device.
Check out how does Houzeo work and know why Houzeo is the best for sale by owner sites out there:
Real People, Real Stories
Best Real Estate Websites in California
Local real estate websites in California will provide services based on your location.
- Best Real Estate Websites in Los Angeles: Check out these real estate websites in Los Angeles, CA to buy and sell a house.
- Best Real Estate Websites in Fresno: Buy a house in one of the best cities in California to maximize your profits.
- Best Real Estate Websites in San Jose: San Jose is one of the best places to buy houses in California. Read this blog to know the websites available in your area.
- Best Real Estate Websites in San Diego: Californians can use this comprehensive guide to know the best real estate websites in San Diego, CA.
- Best Real Estate Websites in San Francisco: Check out these real estate websites in San Francisco, CA to buy and sell a house.
- Best Real Estate Website in Sacramento: Buy a house in one of the best cities in California to maximize your profits.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the best real estate websites California?
The best real estate websites in California are Houzeo, Beycome, Zillow, Redfin, and Compass.
2. Are there fees for real estate websites in California?
Yes, almost all real estate websites charge listing fees from sellers. Some even charge convenience fees to the renter, who want to apply for an apartment. There are a few other websites that offer listing services for free.
3. Are real estate websites safe in California?
Yes, real estate websites are safe as long as you find the right sites. However, there are scam sites, so make sure to do your research before providing any personal details regarding property or payment.
California Real Estate Websites