Table of Contents
Home buyers and sellers are younger and more educated than ever!
Real estate in changing. For the first time in 2021, majority of home buyers and sellers will be from generations that grew up with computers and cell phones. According to the National Association of Realtors (NAR), 63% of home buyers and 49% of home sellers will belong to Gen X, Gen Y, or Gen Z. And that’s not it. 69% of home buyers have at least a bachelors degree. 32% have a Master’s or a Doctoral degree. These younger and sophisticated home buyers and sellers have one thing in common – they want to do everything online. And with growing technology, we were introduced to real estate websites to make the home selling and buying process seamless.
No wonder then that most home buyers use the internet to find their homes. Similarly, most home sellers use the internet to sell their homes. Unsurprisingly, real estate websites have evolved into full fledged platforms. Buyers now know real time when a property is posted for sale, and can browse thousands of listings. Sellers can practically do everything online, and even save on commissions using a discount real estate broker or a flat fee MLS service.
We have reviewed 100s of websites to come up with our 2021 Rankings for the Best Real Estate Websites.
For home buyers, Houzeo offers great search tools and the most For Sale By Owner listings. But if you are a home seller, Houzeo is nothing short of the perfect home selling platform for you. And don’t just take our word for it – take it for a spin!
- No Commission: Most Houzeo affiliated listing agents only charge a small flat fee and give you access to all the tools any full-service 6% agent can give you, including getting your property on the MLS. Agents in minimum service states do charge you a commission, but even that is rather small
- Maximum Exposure: Houzeo is the easiest way to get on the MLS, and in front of the biggest pool of buyers and buyer agents any site or a full-service (6%) agent can provide you.
- 100% Online: Online offers, counter offers, easy listing change requests, and digital contracts. You can even view your listing, review and compare offers, and counter an offer on the Houzeo mobile app!
Houzeo is the best For Sale By Owner Website. And there’s a reason why. Let’s review the Houzeo platform in detail:
- Access to Over 160 million Potential Buyers: An MLS listing via Houzeo.com gets syndicated to Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, and to hundred more sites.
- Listings Go on Your Local MLS Where All Local Agents See It: Brokers on Houzeo.com will list on the local MLS where other agents search listings for their buyers. When local agents have listing updates sent to their buyers, your listing will get included too.
- Set Your Own Buyer Agent Commission: To get top dollar for your listing, you want to offer a fair commission to buyer agents. Via Houzeo, you can do that, and if you need to change the buyer agent commission anytime, it’s easy!
- Most Control Over the Process: Complete your listing online, fill out seller disclosures (if your agent offers them), order a yard sign, and make listing changes online. Houzeo offers you the most control over the process.
- Listing & Changes to the Listing Are Fast!: The entire Houzeo homes for sale by owner listing process is online and takes less than an hour to complete in many states. In many states, all the changes are online too! Still, there are several states still though where the process is offline, so we’ve deducted points for that.
- Affordable Listing Fees: Most For Sale By Owner websites like Zillow and Trulia aren’t really free. They sell your leads to local agents, who’ll call and cost you time. Houzeo’s plans in most states start at $199 or less. Best of all, Houzeo doesn’t sell your leads to other agents. Any unrepresented buyers who visit the Houzeo website get your contact info on your listing.
For home buyers, Houzeo offers advanced search tools on its homes for sale by owner. Buyers can reach out to home sellers directly and aren’t routed to an agent. This allows home buyers and sellers to work out the best deal that keeps money in their pocket – saving anywhere between 3% to 6% in commissions.
💰 Complete your listing in minutes and save thousands!
Selling your house on your own has never been this easy. Now gain more control over your Houzeo listing and save thousands on commission.
Founded in 2006, Zillow is based out of Seattle, Washington. A real estate resource considered as one of the most popular platforms, Zillow relies on 110 million living databases and algorithms of homes (FSBO, for sale, rental, and more).
With an average of 160 million monthly online visitors, the platform is home to thousands of potential buyers and different networks. It was reported that 80% of homes listed were sold only during March 2019. Furthermore, you can avail of a flat fee or save money on agent commission fees. But more importantly, you can list your property as an FSBO for free! And get listed on Trulia, HotPads, and more.
- Zillow is trusted by several Americans since the app has the highest number of downloads on Android as well as Apple platforms.
- The Zillow app primarily allows you to list your properties with images, sell, buy, rent, connect with agents, and receive push notifications depending on your search results.
- Extensive database over 135 million plus properties
- Systematic criteria sorting
- Comprehensive solution to ‘How to’ questions
- Mobile app for you to search or list properties on the go
- Zillow owned Zestimate tool is as good as a database loaded with tons of information
- Some agents having a premium membership may be visible there but not really know what’s to be done
- Realtors and lenders pay for leads, so be careful before filling the on-site forms
Founded in 2005, Trulia has created a website and app that exudes transparency. Another prominent real estate website based out of San Francisco, Trulia focuses on connecting users with professional realtors, property managers, mortgage lenders, etc.
Here’s the lesser-known fact: Trulia and several other real estate platforms are subsidiaries of Zillow Group. This real estate marketplace offers for-sale and rental listings along with features like resident reviews, home facts, drone footage, and clear images.
By numbers, they have a network of more than 235 MLS and online/mobile access to 3.5 million property listings. To accommodate renters and buyers on the go, they also launched a mobile app. Not to mention, it’s a top-rated user-friendly mobile app for both Apple and Android that helps you browse properties and like or share them on social media.
- Explore the neighborhood and view the market value, crime statistics, visualize statistical data, and affordability metrics.
- The online platform has also what they call “What Local Say”, which shows testimonials and reviews from the nearby residents that help buyers and renters know more about the area.
Goes as local as you want to
Robust data such as detailed square footage area, selling prices for the given area, real estate trends, etc
Local map view to compare nearby schools, transit, etc
Links to get pre-qualified financing and financing calculators in the app
No option for home sellers to list their properties
You need to sign in or register every time you want to explore your saved criteria
A real estate discount brokerage that advertises to offer 20-30% commission savings for home sellers, Redfin offers the same basic services as a traditional realtor but charges way lesser.
Since its founding in 2004, Redfin agents have served more than 530,000 customers.
Redfin offers a 1.5% listing fee charges, which is half of what agents charge the sellers. However, this figure varies depending on the area you’re in.
- Redfin isn’t just one of those namesake real estate websites.
- A blend of traditional services and a modern approach, this discount real estate broker aims to use technology to most the home buying and selling process faster and seamless.
- Incredible savings for home sellers
- User-friendly technology
- 2,000+ registered licensed agents
- Mapped on 90+ regions across USA and Canada
- Barely any savings for home buyers
- Varying listing fees – from 1.5-4%, depending on your region
- Lack of personal attention to users
- One agent juggling 3x times clients at a time
💰 Work with user-friendly technology & save thousands!
An easy to operate app and website, work with Houzeo’s seamless interface
and list your home in minutes
Realtor.com, one of the most trusted and experienced real estate websites in the industry, was established in 1996. Linked over 580 different Multiple Listing Services, the listings here are closest to gold standards and are updated regularly.
Realtor.com also has an app that’s both Android and Apple friendly. The app allows you to search for homes, take photo or video tours, update real-time listings, and compare neighbourhood by measuring noise levels and more.
A real estate platform with over 20 years of experience in serving home sellers, buyers, agents, and other real estate services, Realtor is one of the most credible sites. We say this because it has been licensed from the National Association of Realtors (NAR).
They have a feature called “Find Realtors” that only searches licensed real estate agents, those who are members of the National Association of Realtors that only follow the NAR’s ethical standards.
This online platform provides helpful community reviews, testimonials, and market overviews, for those who want to move to a new neighborhood—with local school ratings and such.
Realtor.com also provides access to Multiple Listing Services which are dubbed as “the most up-to-date and accurate” listings.
- Includes 99% of every MLS listed properties
- User-friendly interface
- Easy to search all listed properties in a school district
- Robust ‘find a realtor‘ feature
- No For Sale By Owner (FSBO) option available
- Fewer articles or guides on ‘How To’ questions and concerns
- No option to list properties for home sellers
For people who are looking to rent apartments, Apartments.com is one of the easiest websites to find the kind of house you’ve been looking for. Listing your rentals here is absolutely free of cost. They also have a mobile app.
Founded in 1992, the real estate website was later purchased by Costar Group in 2014. Benefitting from its extensive research team, of its million listings, 500,000 of them have been visited, scrutinised, photographed, and validated by Costar Group team.
The site makes money by charging renters $29+ taxes to apply for up to 10 rentals for 30 days on their mobile app.
- The property listings over here show pictures, 3D tours, availability status, current rent specials, and added expenses such as parking or pet fees if applicable.
- This real estate website goes in-depth to give you an overview of services like renter reviews, lease length options, nearby grocery stores, shops, restaurants, gyms, and more.
- Not limited to just apartments. They also have condos and townhouses too
- Extensive library of easy to rent experience articles
- Mobile app with search and built-in contact feature
- Search beyond typical geographical features, such as ‘pet-friendly apartments’
- Detailed community guides but crime stats are missing
- Not so user-friendly app and website when it comes to sorting capability and updates
- It costs $29+ tax to apply for up to 10 rentals a month
Which is the best real estate website?
By adding value for both buyers and sellers, real estate websites are booming and how! Buyers can search for their dream home at the comfort of their homes and take notes of all the features. Saving on traditional real estate agent commission is another major advantage these websites have to give.
We reviewed 6 best real estate websites and like every time, here’s our honest opinion about each one of them. Buying and selling a house can be overwhelming and which website to use can add on to the confusion. The next time you feel the need of an expert opinion, save this blog to measure the pros and cons of the leading players in the market.
Frequently Asked Questions
Real estate websites are a synonym for convenience when it comes to exposing your property in the market. Be it a buyer or a seller, you can explore properties online and list your house for sale.
This not only expands your reach but also helps you reduce traditional realtor commission cost.
The other purpose of real estate websites is to cater to the professional real estate service providers. Realtors, mortgage professionals, banks, and inspectors can advertise on such platforms to get more leads.
Some websites provide extreme accuracy while some are still figuring out this part. When it comes to Houzeo, we strive to provide you factual information, seamless interface, and uninterrupted customer service.
With updated information and latest industry trends, Houzeo is highly preferred real estate website for FSBO and Flat fee MLS.
While some websites enter data manually , other webistes are also populated by traditional realtors by uploading the necessary documents and photos of the house.
In case of Multiple Listing Service providers, their algorithm collect their databas from the users who trust them.
Buyers or renters can scroll through and explore options for absolutely no cost.
However if you want to avail options like save the property for later, get push notifications, be intimated when a property lowers its price, the websitesmay ask for your details such as name, contact details,a nd email address. By agreeing to fill these details, you’re opening yourself to dozens of sales calls.
In case of sellers, websites charge them listing fees. Some webistes have varying charges while some work on a Flat Fee MLS model.
With Houzeo, you will experience a coherent Flat Fee listing service on multiple real estate websites
After reviewing hundreds of real estate websites, we’ve boiled down to 6 best websites that are user-friendly and can get you effective results.
Some key points to keep in mind while choosing a real estate website would be – your porpose, the services you expect, pros and cons of listing or buying through them, customer reviews, and of course, the money.
Still confused? Get in touch with our customer service and get all your doubts cleared.
4 min video: Learn How to Submit & Review Offers on Houzeo