From San Francisco to San Diego, home sellers across California dread the 6% real estate agent commission. Traditional listing agents charge a commission of 3% of the sale price.
However, you can save thousands by hiring a discount real estate broker when selling your home in California.
Our list of the best discount realtors will assist you in identifying the best one for your next real estate transaction.
⚡Understanding Discount Brokers
- Who is a Discount Broker? A discount broker provides all real estate services like a traditional broker for a low commission of 0.5% to 2%.
- Understanding the Discount: The discount is on the listing fee. You still have to pay the buyer agent commission.
- Can You Negotiate Brokerage Fee? Yes! You can negotiate brokerage fees with your agent. Before you do, make sure you offer a full buyer’s agent fee.
- Alternatives: You can list on the MLS using Flat Fee MLS companies like Houzeo. It is 100% online and automated to cater to various seller needs.
Rankings: Best Discount Real Estate Brokers & Companies in California
|Rank||Discount Real Estate Broker / Company||Listing Fee||Additional Charges||Max Savings||100% Online||Mobile App|
|2.||CA Flat Fee||$5000 Flat Fee||❌||❌||❌||❌|
|3.||1% Listing Fee||1% commission||❌||❌||❌||❌|
|4.||HomeLight||2.5% of sale price||❌||❌||❌||❌|
|5.||Prevu||1.5% of sale price||❌||❌||❌||❌|
Reviews: Best Discount Real Estate Brokers & Companies in California
#1 Flat Fee MLS Service
Houzeo offers 4 Flat Fee MLS packages.
- Bronze Package – $329+: This package offers Houzeo listing only for 6 months with maximum photos.
- Silver Package – $399+: This includes everything that home sellers typically look for.
- Gold Package – $379+: It is Houzeo’s signature MLS package and includes all the technology Houzeo is known for Houzeo Showings, Houzeo Offers, and DigiTransact.
- Platinum – $349+: It includes the assistance of a licensed broker to help you with negotiations, disclosures, and closing.
👉 Our Take: We recommend the GOLD plan. You’ll have access to Houzeo tech, making managing showings and offer negotiations easy!
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish listing formalities in less than 60 mins.
Houzeo is America’s #1 Flat Fee MLS service because of 4 reasons:
- Max Exposure: Houzeo MLS packages give you access to the MLS, Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, and 100s of other websites.
- 5-star Customer Service: Houzeo has a fully staffed customer service desk available 6 days a week. Chats and emails are open 7 days a week.
- 100% Online: Houzeo is high-tech. For you, this means easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers. Houzeo Mobile App is also very powerful.
- No Listing Commission: In most states, you’ll be paying just a small flat fee to list on MLS. Houzeo covers 47 states + DC! And remember, all fees are disclosed upfront, so there are no Houzeo hidden fees. You get to bypass the listing agent commission!
There are no dealbreakers with Houzeo.
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is rated “Excellent” with a 4.9 out of 5-star rating by 4,523 home sellers on Google Reviews and Trustpilot!
Houzeo is rated 4.9 out of 5 stars by thousands of home sellers on Google & Trustpilot.
» Houzeo Reviews: Check out how Team Houzeo has addressed all Houzeo complaints from home sellers.
Houzeo.com is America’s #1 ranked Flat Fee service. Houzeo provides an unbeatable combination of max savings, 5-star customer support, and cutting-edge technology.
In California, Houzeo’s Bronze Package is priced at $329+, the Silver package is priced at $399+, and the Gold at $379 + 0.5% (Minimum $995) at closing. The full-service Platinum package costs $349 + 1% (Minimum $995) at closing.
2. CA Flat Fee
GREAT LOCAL EXPOSURE
CA Flat Fee
CA Flat Fee is a full-service flat fee real estate brokerage that operates in Southern California.
For Home Sellers:
- Full-Service Package – $5,000: You get full-time agent representation, professional photography, open house showings, home staging services, and negotiation assistance.
👉 Our Take: The flat fee model along with full-service assistance and local expertise makes them one of the best discount real estate brokerages in California. However, they do not offer any significant benefits to home buyers.
CA Flat Fee provides everything from listing on MLS to coordination with title and escrow professionals. Some of the advantages of CA Flat Fee for home sellers and buyers are as follows:
- Full-Time Agent Representation: An agent will assist you throughout your home-selling journey with CA Flat Fee. This significantly improves the experience of sellers and buyers.
- Agents with Local Expertise: You can significantly benefit from the CA Flat Fee agents you hire. These agents understand the details of the market and provide you with insights.
- Market Exposure: Your property is listed on the MLS and other major platforms like Zillow and Realtor.com giving it maximum exposure to potential clients.
In our research, we found some red flags associated with CA Flat Fee.
- Suitable for High-End Properties: CA Flat Fee is suitable for sellers who want to sell their high-priced properties. $5,000 is a large sum for a cheap property.
- Limited Coverage: CA Flat Fee is operational only in Southern California.
- No Buyer’s Rebate: Although CA Flat Fee offers services and agent representation for buyers, it does not give any cash rebate unlike other discount realtors.
CA Flat Fee has a 5-star rating from 76 reviews on Google.
CA Flat Fee offers full-service packages at a flat fee in California. Their services include marketing, professional photography, free home valuations, and much more for a flat fee of $5,000.
Although they offer full-service packages, the $5,000 flat fee only makes sense for high-priced properties.
3. 1% Listing Fee
1% Listing Fee
1% Listing Fee is a full broker service that provides its services to home sellers in California.
For Home Sellers:
- Full Service – 1% Commission: This package includes extensive marketing, professional photography, coordinating showings, and open houses.
- All Cash Sell – 1% Commission: If you want to sell your house fast, 1% Listing Fee looks for cash offers for your home. You can close the deal quickly.
For Home Buyers:
- Buyer’s Rebate: They offer a 33% commission rebate to buyers at the time of closing. If you sell and buy with them, this rebate can increase to 50% of the commission.
👉 Our Take: 1% Listing Fee may be the solution if you are looking for a budget broker with the lowest commission.
1% Listing Fee offers several advantages to home sellers and buyers:
- Low Commission: The 1% commission rate is lower than that of most real estate companies, including other discount real estate brokerages in California.
- Free Home Valuation: 1% Listing Fee also offers free home value reports to home sellers, even before the consultation.
- New Listing Notifications: They have a system of sending timely notifications of new listings on MLS to buyers.
- Experienced Agents: The brokerage has been in business for more than 34 years. Their experienced agents can provide valuable market insights.
In our research, we came across certain red flags associated with 1% Listing Fee.
- Lack of Transparency: Some online reviews reveal that 1% Listing Fee has hidden costs that the seller is not informed about upfront.
- Limited Coverage: 1% Listing Fee provides its services only in Southern California. This limits its customer base and the pool of potential buyers.
1% Listing Fee has a rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 18 reviews on Google.
As the name suggests, they offer full-service packages at a 1% Listing Fee.
Although the savings for sellers are significant, they offer very low savings for buyers in the form of a 33% buyer’s rebate.
GOOD AGENT COVERAGE
HomeLight is an agent matching service, free for home sellers. They furnish details of the best real estate agents in your selected neighborhood for both full and limited service plans.
- Free Agent Matching: Depending on the agent, the traditional 5% – 6% commission still applies. But they offer all the services you will require during your sale.
Coverage: HomeLight has coverage in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, Sarasota, and Seattle, among other major U.S. cities.
👉 Our Take: Homelight offers decent agent-matching services. However, you may be matched with a listing agent who charges 3% commission, meaning zero savings for you.
» What is Homelight: Check this out to know more about them.
HomeLight has a network of thousands of successful sellers, best real estate agents, and brokers. They help to create tailored guides and resources in the process of selling a house.
- Good Agent Coverage: They have a good number of agents as per their coverage area.
- Estimators and Calculators: HomeLight offers home value estimator, best time to sell calculator, agent commissions calculator, and net proceeds calculator.
» How does Homelight Work? Check this out to know more about them and their procedure.
In our research, we came across some major drawbacks of HomeLight.
- Inconsistent Agent Quality: The agents they assign may not work at your convenience. Even the listing speed will be based on the agent selected.
- Off-Market Restriction: Registering on HomeLight will get you offers from agents instantly. Although the process is fast, only homes that are off-market are allowed.
» How much does HomeLight Cost? Check this out to find out if they are really affordable.
HomeLight has a rating of 4.45 out of 5 stars from 233 reviews on Sitejabber.
» HomeLight Reviews: Check out our reviews of HomeLight to make an informed decision.
HomeLight is a real estate website that puts home sellers, agents, and buyers under the same roof.
They have agents handling multiple clients juggling their time. This could lead to miscommunication and lack of personalised services.
Prevu offers a single package with all the start-to-end services you require during your sale.
- Full Service – 1.5% Commission: Prevu charges a lower commission of 1.5% of the sale price for selling a house. It includes various features like home valuation, 3D virtual tours, open houses, professional photographs, listing on MLS, and social ad campaigns.
Prevu Coverage: Prevu is available in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, California, Pennsylvania, and Washington.
👉 Our Take: We do not recommend Prevu real estate to most home sellers and buyers. It only helps in substantial savings if you’re buying a house priced above $750,000.
» Prevu Reviews: Is it really a good idea to choose them? To learn more, read the entire review!
Prevu is a full-service low commission brokerage based in New York that aims to change the old-school ways of the real estate market.
- Mortgage & Closing Costs Calculator: You can get an estimate of your mortgage and closing costs by using Prevu’s Calculator. The closing cost feature is only for NYC sellers.
- Buyer Rebate: Buyers who purchase a house with Prevu get two-thirds of the commission that Prevu receives from the seller.
- Smart Buyer Platform: Prevu’s technology allows buyers to search for homes, communicate with their agents online, schedule showings, and make an offer.
» How does Prevu work? Check this out to learn more about their functioning.
Here are some negatives of Prevu you should know about.
- Inconsistent Agent Quality: Prevu has limited and inconsistent agent matching, which compromises the quality.
- Variable Listing Fee: The listing fee varies as per your location, which could burn a hole in your pocket.
Prevu has a stellar rating of 5 out of 5 from 456 reviews on Google.
» Prevu Real Estate Reviews: Check out our in-depth reviews on Prevu.
Prevu is a full-service real estate brokerage based in New York. They offer their services for a 1.5% commission.
They take on a large volume of clients to compensate for the low commission. Hence, you will be competing with a crowd of customers for your agent’s attention.
Here’s a quick recap of the best discount real estate brokers in America:
America’s Best Discount Real Estate Brokers (2023)
We’ve reviewed the best discount real estate brokers in 2023
What Are Discount Brokers and Companies?
Discount real estate brokers are companies or agents who sell your home for less than the standard 2.5 to 3% commission. Sellers receive basic real estate services at a pre-negotiated fee of 0.5% – 2% or even a flat fee.
The reduced fee can easily save sellers thousands in commissions.
You may be now wondering if their services are comparable to those of a traditional Realtor at this point. Discount real estate brokers typically offer the same services as full-service brokers. The key difference is in pricing.
🤔 Do you offer buyer agent commission to discount brokerages?
YES! Most real estate discount brokers and brokerages will recommend you pay a full buyer agent fee. It is typically between 2% and 3% in most states.
It is vital to pay a competitive commission to the buyer’s agent. This will ensure you sell your home quickly while still receiving the best price possible.
Types of Discount Brokers
Find a discount real estate broker that fits your budget and saves you the most money! The four major types of real estate discount brokerages and companies are as follows:
1. Flat Fee MLS Companies: Flat Fee MLS companies get you on the MLS for a small flat fee saving you thousands in commissions. Best Flat Fee MLS listing companies like Houzeo can get you on the MLS within 48 hours, or even faster!
2. Flat Rate Full-Service Companies: These companies charge a fixed fee instead of the regular 3% commission. This amount can be anywhere between $3,000 and $5,000. A flat rate Realtor is perfect for homes priced on the higher end.
3. Low Commission Estate Agents: Low commission discount brokers offer full-service packages. These are usually priced at 1% or 2%. They cover everything from listing, negotiations, and pricing.
4. Virtual Full Service: A virtual full-service discount broker handles everything online. Companies like Houzeo, also provide full-service options that are 100% online. All services including price negotiation and marketing support are at no additional cost.
Pros and Cons of a Discount Realtor
The primary benefit of working with discount real estate brokers is that they have lower overhead costs. However, a discount broker may not have as much time to communicate. They juggle many clients and may not be available for your queries.
- Reduced Fees: You’ll pay less for listing costs. While standard brokers typically charge at least 3%, discount brokers may charge as little as 0.5% to 1%.
- Full Access to Basic Real Estate Services: You receive the same basic services as you would with a traditional agent. They provide assistance with pricing, marketing, and negotiations.
- Streamlined Process: A low-cost Realtor facilitates the selling process. They are motivated to work efficiently and eliminate all unnecessary steps from the sales process.
- Not Enough Savings: Some discount brokerages may charge hidden fees or sell their services a la carte. This might add to your expenses.
- Not for First-Time Sellers: Most discount real estate brokerages are digital, so you almost never have to talk to anyone in-person. A first-time seller or buyer who needs some hand-holding may not be able to benefit much.
- Lack of Personal Attention: Discount Realtors handle multiple clients at once to make up for the reduced commission rate. They may not be able to provide personalized services.
- High Cancellation Fee: A discount realty company can charge a minimum withdrawal fee within a specified period of time. Remember to carefully review the terms and conditions of the contract before signing.
Discount Real Estate Brokers to Avoid
Some agent-matching websites advertise themselves as “free”. But in reality, they keep a portion of the commission received by the discount real estate brokers. Because you pay the commission, this amount comes out of your pocket.
For example, List With Clever promotes itself as an informational real estate website that matches sellers with discount realtors. Even though Clever claims to be “free”, 25% to 40% of your commission will be directed to Clever as a “Referral Fee”.
» Clever Real Estate: Check out what you lose when you sell or buy with Clever!
💸 Save Thousands in REALTOR Commission
Sell your house with Houzeo.com for a small flat fee – as low as $349!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
How to Choose a Discount Realtor or Company?
It is essential to select the right real estate agent for your home-selling journey. The following are a couple of pointers to assist you with picking the ideal discount broker or company.
1. Savings: Discount real estate brokers have a variety of pricing structures. So, choose one that maximizes savings while still providing all of the services you require.
2. Technology: Choose companies that use cutting-edge technology, offer online paperwork, and have a mobile app.
3. Customer Reviews: Check for online customer reviews. This helps you to get an idea of the kind of services you are going to receive.
How Much Can I Save With a Discount Realtor?
As a seller, you can save anywhere between $1,632 and $ 6,680.
Typically, home sellers pay 6% of total realtor commissions. The total commission is divided between the listing agent (3%) and the buyer’s agent (3%). Discount real estate brokers pre-negotiate a reduced listing agent commission of 1% to 2%.
Therefore, you save a commission of 4% to 5% on your home sale.
As a home buyer, you get a buyer’s rebate – a type of cashback received after the sale. A typical buyer rebate is 1% to 2% of the home’s purchase price.
However, in order to qualify for this buyer rebate, buyers must fulfill specific requirements. The most important is the minimum price range.
🤔 What is a home buyer rebate?
A Realtor rebate is a type of cashback you receive as a buyer. Some brokerages and agents offer these rebates as an incentive to attract more buyers. Buyer rebates are allowed in 40 states.
Who Should Use a Discount Broker?
Discount Brokers are ideal for sellers and buyers who want to focus on savings.
- Sellers on a Tight Budget: Homeowners who wish to save money might list with a low-fee Realtor. This can help them save big.
- Real Estate Investors: Real estate investors who frequently trade can benefit from low-commission discount brokers.
- House Flippers: Home flipping is a strategy where an investor purchases a property to renovate it and sell it for a profit. Home flippers can save thousands on agent commissions by selling via discount brokers.
Discount Realtor Near Me
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in San Fernando Valley, CA: San Fernando Valley discount Realtors charge a fee of 1% to 1.5%. To make an informed selection, look into their listing costs, services offered, coverage, and technology.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Ramona, CA: Discount brokers in Ramona will list and sell your home for 1% to 1.5% commission. Some of the companies also offer buyer rebates.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Indio, CA: Discount real estate agents in Indio offer buyer as well as seller services. You may save thousands by selling your house for a fee of 1% to 2.5%.
- Discount Realtors in San Diego, CA: San Diego is one of the most famous tourist destinations. Discount listing agents in San Diego are a great option if you want to sell your home at discounted rates.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in San Jose, CA: If you are looking to sell a house, discount real estate companies in San Jose, CA, can help you get the best price for your home.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Ventura, CA: Find the right discount real estate broker in Ventura, CA who can help you save thousands of dollars in commissions.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Sacramento, CA: Discount real estate brokers in Sacramento, CA offer home listing and selling services at discounted rates. They can help you sell your home fast without spending thousands of dollars.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Orange County, CA: Orange County discount brokers offer flat fee and full service packages to home sellers. Some of the companies give cash rebates to buyers.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Los Angeles, CA: Los Angeles has a thriving real estate market. Discount brokers in Los Angeles, CA can help in bringing down the home selling costs significantly.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in San Francisco, CA: San Francisco discount real estate agents offer full-service packages at discounted rates. You can get the best value for your home and save thousands of dollars at the same time.
Alternatives to Discount Real Estate Brokers in California
Here are some options if you do not want to opt for a discount Realtor in California.
- Flat Fee MLS Companies: Flat Fee MLS Califonia companies list your property on your local MLS for a flat fee of a few hundred dollars. You can save on commissions and also take advantage of their technology for a faster sale.
- List With a Full-Service Realtor: If you need hand-holding, we recommend you hire a full-service in-person Realtor. You’ll get all the professional help you need, but you will end up paying a full 5% to 6% commission.
- Sell to an iBuyer: Many iBuyers, like Opendoor and Offerpad, purchase hundreds of homes in San Jose and other California markets. iBuyers can be a great option if you’re wondering how to sell my house fast in California.
- Sell to Cash Home Buyers: Individual cash home buyers and companies that buy houses for cash in California make all-cash offers, usually within 24 to 48 hours. Cash buyers let you skip the hassle of listing on the MLS, inspection, appraisal, etc.
- Sell For Sale By Owner: For Sale By Owner websites will help you list and sell a house by owner in California and save thousands in listing agent commission. Many FSBO websites will also get you listed on the MLS and help you with FSBO paperwork.
» Best FSBO Sites in California: We’ve researched and reviewed all the best For Sale By Owner sites in California. See our rankings!
Here’s how much you can save with Houzeo.com!
Are Discount Brokers Worth It?
YES! There are various advantages to using a discount real estate broker. Using a cheap brokerage can save you a lot of money. The commission savings can be significant.
There are several discounted real estate brokers on the market today, each with its own set of advantages. Examine factors such as listing fees, listing time, services provided, customer service, and coverage before you choose one.
With Houzeo, you can get your home on the MLS for a small flat fee. You get access to cutting-edge tools like offers dashboard, showings management, and many more to make your selling journey easy.
» List My House on MLS in California: The fastest way to get on the MLS!
Eager to Know How Houzeo Works?
We’ve got you covered. Check out the following video to understand how Houzeo works and why it is one of the best For Sale By Owner websites in the U.S.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
» NEED MORE CLARITY? Read these exclusive Houzeo reviews and learn why the platform is the best in America’s competitive housing market.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are real estate commissions negotiable in California?
Yes, you can negotiate realtor fees if you know your property's worth.
What is a discount broker in real estate?
A discount broker is similar to the traditional full-service real estate agent. They offer all the services that a traditional agent would provide at a discounted commission or flat rate.
How much are MLS fees in California?
With Houzeo you can list your California home for as low as $349. Houzeo offers cutting-edge technology that allows you to manage your property, review offers, counter, and manage showings online, all via our mobile app.
- Real Estate Firms in California: Check out our ranking of the top 10 real estate California companies.
- Housing Market in California: Check out the latest California real estate market trends.
- Home Staging California: Discover the top home staging companies to stage your CA house for sale.
- Real Estate Photographers California: Check out top-ranking real estate photographers of the Golden State.
- Best Mortgage Lenders in California: Discover top-rated mortgage lenders in CA.
Related: discount real estate brokers near me, California real estate brokers, California real estate commission, California commission real estate, real estate discount brokers, real estate broker discount, discount real estate brokers, discount real estate agents, discount real estate brokerage, discount broker real estate, disclosure requirements in CaliforniaCalifornia Discount Real Estate Brokers