Sellers are often required to list out all the physical aspects of their property to prospective home buyers. This increases clarity and facilitates a better sale. That is exactly where a seller disclosure statement comes into the picture.
Sometimes to make a quick and easy sale, sellers tend to disguise the defects in the house. However, if the buyer finds material defects later, the seller may face legal consequences. To avoid these, our guide will take you through Seller’s Disclosure Kansas.
» Selling My House Kansas: Know the process to sell your home in Kansas.
What are Seller Disclosures?
The Seller Disclosure form is a standard checklist form containing material defects and features of the property. It specifically provides information about the property that may negatively affect the value of the house.
If there are material defects in a property that may impact the value of the property and the seller is aware of them, then the seller must disclose them. However, sellers should report these defects to the best of their knowledge and understanding.
The aim of Seller Disclosure is to maintain transparency in the real – estate transaction to keep the buyer aware of any defects present in the house.
» Selling a Home As Is In Kansas: Here is Houzeo’s guide on how to sell your home as-is in Kansas.
Importance of Seller Disclosures
Seller’s disclosures serve the following purpose in real estate transactions:
|🔎||Give Complete Information About The Property||Disclosures help communicate the defects present on the property. They ensure that all the stakeholders involved in the transaction are well aware of the property's history.|
|⚖️||Protects Sellers Against Legal Liabilities||Once you disclose all the known defects present in the house or which come to light during the inspection, you may be exempted from any future liability against those defects.|
|👍||Develops Credibility||Honesty, accuracy and transparency are of utmost importance when selling your house. Disclosures are a way of achieving all of these and thereby enhancing your credibility.|
» Need To Sell My House in Kansas Fast: Read our blog if you’re in dire need to sell your house fast in Kansas.
Kansas Seller Disclosure Law
The sellers in Kansas are bound by specific federal and state laws in relation to the sale of their property. Set out below are a few pointers revolving around Kansas seller disclosure laws.
Kansas Seller’s Disclosure Form
Kansas does not expressly state that the seller is required to make disclosures. The State does not have a standardized Seller’s Disclosure form per se, however, sellers can fill out the Kansas Seller’s Property Condition Disclosure Statement that has been generated by real estate agents in Kansas. The form lists pertinent questions related to the condition and details of the house. A few prominent disclosures are related to flooding, plumbing, asbestos, radon, and electrical systems. The seller then hands over the Disclosure Statement to the buyer as a part of the contract.
» Sell My House Fast For Cash: Know ways to sell your house fast for cash.
Disclosure of Material Defects
Apart from stating various characteristics and important aspects of the property and structure, the seller must disclose adverse material defects of the house as stated under Kansas Stat. Ann. § 58-30.106. Sellers must refrain from actively concealing any defect and must disclose all information in good faith.
- ✍️ Editor’s Note: Latent material defects are the ones which are not apparent or visibly recognizable defects, but they significantly affect the value of the property. Generally, these defects pose a threat to the safety or health of the occupants.
» How to Sell Your Own House in Kansas: Are you considering selling your house without a realtor? Here are our tips for a smooth selling process.
Lead-Based Paint Seller Disclosure Kansas
Additionally, as mandated under Federal Law, the sellers must disclose if their property (if built prior to 1978) has been coated by lead-based paints. The Lead-based paint disclosure form for the seller should be filled out by the seller.
🤔 Too Many Disclosures Giving You A Headache?
Worry not! Houzeo’s cutting edge technology automatically provides you with the necessary disclosures, curated to match your property and location.
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
» Best Time To Sell A House in Kansas– Find out the best time to sell your property in Kansas.
Most Common Mistakes By FSBO Home Sellers in Disclosures
The main object of disclosures in any area is to give clarity and perspective to a buyer. Buyers who are looking for a home usually have certain criteria in mind before searching for a home. A seller disclosure acts as a bridge to close these doubts, giving buyers a reason to have faith in you and your deal.
- One of the biggest mistakes a seller can make is not giving disclosures at all. The lack of trust between a buyer and seller can demotivate a buyer from considering your property altogether. Hence, it is suggested that sellers complete all disclosure formalities as soon as possible, even though it may not be legally required in your state.
- Likewise, sellers also get an option to mark a point as ‘unknown’ in disclosures. This gives you ample opportunity to be honest in your disclosures. Also, marking a certain disclosure clause as ‘unknown’ shifts the burden on a buyer to inspect that particular problem. Hence, don’t make the mistake of lying on your disclosures, as that would count as fraudulent misrepresentation and attract a lawsuit.
- Most state laws prescribe that the disclosures should be provided before closing. As an FSBO seller, it is your duty to provide disclosures as soon as possible, since you do not have a real estate agent to do these things for you.
- ✍️ Pro Tip: Sellers who are selling their house the FSBO way are advised to keep their Disclosure Statement ready before listing on the MLS. It increases your credibility and reliability from a buyer’s perspective, as they get an idea of the property’s condition early on.
Tips to Minimize Issues in Kansas Seller Disclosure Documents
|Review And Verify||There’s a time allowance (some permit 10 days) to review and verify everything about your Purchase and Sales Agreement—also the square footage, home usage, and marketing.|
|Ask Questions||Ask questions when in doubt. This would help you in avoiding future troubles.|
|Hire A Professional Inspector||A professional inspector can help you gather backup information about the property’s condition. You can also opt for a pre-inspection before listing.|
» Kansas Home Inspector – Find out the best home inspectors in Kansas.
|Disclose Everything||To avoid problems in your home disclosure statement disclose everything you know honestly. Even though it’s a minor issue, you must disclose it.|
|Get A Licensed Agent Involved||The best way to avoid disclosure issues is to get licensed real estate agents in KS. Agents can help you manage and assist you in the process along the way.|
- ✍️ Pro Tip: List Your Property With Houzeo
One of the best ways to minimize problems in your seller’s disclosure is to Purchase the “Contract to Close Upgrade Package”. A Licensed broker will review your paperwork to make sure it is appropriate. In addition, you should also have the settlement agent review the paperwork so you cover all bases.
» More: Start your FREE listing NOW!
Final Word: Complexity of Seller’s Disclosure in Kansas
|Level of Complexity||Average|
|Is Kansas a Caveat Emptor State?||No|
|Is Kansas a Non-Disclosure State?||Yes|
Disclosure laws in Kansas do not follow the rule of ‘caveat emptor,’ i.e. let the buyer beware. Thus, it is the seller’s duty to disclose all material defects or additional disclosures that may affect the monetary value of the house to the prospective buyer.
Kansas Seller’s Disclosures Statements are a little complicated. Selling your house FSBO is usually good, but then you would have to deal with all the disclosures on your own. This demands that you be aware of all the disclosure requirements and that any mistake can cost you dearly. Houzeo can help you with this.
- ✍️ Editor’s Note: Though selling your home yourself on a For Sale By Owner website can save you thousands in commission, we highly recommend you add a Flat Fee MLS listing to your marketing strategy. Check out the best Flat Fee Listing Kansas.
» Kansas MLS Flat Fee – Discover The Best Flat Fee MLS Service in Kansas.
By listing your property with Houzeo, you get access to all forms in electronic format. And that too, for FREE! Houzeo has segregated all the disclosures state-wise so that you don’t have to hunt for Kansas seller disclosures separately.
Check out some of the Houzeo Offers and how it has helped customers around the US.
*Seller disclosures are primarily the responsibility of a home seller. Regardless of the service, you engage in, you are required to ensure seller disclosures provided by you are complete and accurate to your best knowledge. Houzeo is not a brokerage or a licensed agent. It is a tech platform, and the tips presented here should not be construed as advice for which a real estate or attorney license is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are seller's disclosures required in Kansas?
Kansas does not impose a duty upon the seller to make disclosures.
Is Kansas a caveat-emptor state?
No, Kansas is not a "buyer-beware state". The sellers are responsible for disclosing all material defects and features of their property to the prospective buyer.
What happens if seller lies on disclosures in Kansas?
The buyers have legal remedies if the seller lies on disclosures in Kansas. The buyer may sue the seller, due to which the seller may be heavily penalized.
- Cash Buyers For Home in Kansas– Find out the companies in Kansas that buy homes for cash.
- Staging Your Home to Sell – Read our blog to know helpful tricks to make your house attractive to buyers.
- Average Closing Costs Kansas– Find out how much are closing costs in Kansas.
- Who Pays Closing Costs Buyer or Seller in Kansas– Buyer or Seller? Read more to know who generally pays the closing cost in Kansas.
- What Is Title Insurance in Kansas– What exactly is title insurance? Let’s find out!
For KS Seller –
- Sellers Closing Costs Kansas– Find out the seller’s closing costs obligations in Kansas.
- Home Sale Proceeds Calculator Kansas– Here’s Houzeo’s closing cost calculator for the seller.
For KS Buyer-
- Closing Cost in Kansas for Buyer – Find out the buyer’s closing costs obligations in Kansas.
- Kansas Home Buyer Closing Costs Calculator – Here’s Houzeo’s closing cost calculator for the buyer.
Related: state of kansas seller’s disclosure and condition of property, seller property condition disclosure statement kansas, kansas seller disclosure law, seller disclosure laws kansas, seller lies on disclosures in kansas, home selling disclosure laws kansas, sellers disclosures kansas, seller’s disclosure kansas, seller’s disclosure form kansas, kansas seller’s disclosure form, kansas sellers property disclosure, kansas seller disclosure law, residential real estate seller disclosure form kansas, mold disclosure in kansas when selling property, kansas real estate seller disclosure form, kansas city regional association of realtors seller’s disclosure, cash offers for houses kansas, inheriting property in kansas, real estate photography kansasUncategorized