86% of buyers who did a home inspection identified at least one problem that needed fixing.
A home inspection can save you the money you might have to spend on unexpected repairs. Home buyers can use home inspection reports to negotiate the sales price too. Let’s look at how much does a home inspection cost in West Virginia.
What is a Home Inspection?
A home inspection is a non-invasive visual examination of a property. Home inspections reveal the true condition of the property that an untrained eye can miss. Sellers could be unaware of the issues in their property, and while it’s not intentional, it can cause the buyer to end up with a defective house.
Appearances can be deceptive. You don’t want to buy a house just because of the fancy the wallpaper is. What if the foundational wall is exposed to moisture, and you have mold on your new property?
🤌 Home Inspections: Everything you need to know about property inspections
What do Home Inspectors Look for in West Virginia?
A home inspector is a professional who will assess and evaluate the condition of the property.
Types of Home Inspections in West Virginia
Depending on the property’s condition and age, the home inspector will determine if you need to do specialized West Virginia home inspection. This inspection report can help you escape a contract on a decaying house.
1. General Home Inspection
In a general home inspection, a home inspector looks for:
|1. Exterior Home Inspection||Foundation, Garage, Roof Inspection, Exterior Walls|
|2. Interior Home Inspection||Electrical, Plumbing, Kitchen appliances, HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning)|
🤌 4-Point Inspection: Find out if your home needs a four-point inspection
2. Special Home Inspection
A home inspector may recommend specialized types of inspections for a property based on their assessment.
|1. Asbestos Inspection:||Check the suspected presence of ACM (Asbestos-containing material)|
|2. Radon Inspection:||Assess the home for the presence of radon gas which is a highly toxic material|
|3. Lead-based Paint Inspection:||Recommended for old homes, especially ones built before 1970|
|4. Termite Inspection:||Check the house for wood-loving organisms like termites, pests, etc.|
|5. Mold:||Assess the house for mold or moisture|
|6. Chimney Inspection:||Evaluation of chimney to determine if its usable or not|
How Much is a Home Inspection in West Virginia?
The cost of a home inspection ranges between $233.75 – $327.25 in West Virginia, with an average cost of $280.
Prices may differ regionally and also depend on factors like the age of the property and the size of the property.
🤌 How Much is a Home Appraisal in West Virginia: Know the home appraisal costs in West Virginia
Cost of a Home Inspection
A general home inspection can cost around $100 to $500, depending on the size of the house.
|# No||Home Size||Home Inspection Cost Per Square Foot|
|1.||Less than 1,000 sft||$100 to $400|
|2.||1,000 sft to 2,000 sft||$400 to $500|
|3.||More than 2,000 sft||$500+|
🤌 Additional Home Inspection Costs: Inspectors charge extra for specialized home inspections. The home inspector may also charge for transportation if your house is remote or difficult to reach.
Cost of Special Home Inspections
Specialized or specialty home inspections can cost between $25 to $500, depending on the type of inspection.
All homeowners should consider getting the termite inspection done. It also depends on your geographical location. You might need multiple foundation-related inspections in cold-weather areas like Washington, Illinois.
In contrast, if you buy a property in flood-prone areas of Florida or Texas, you will need the flood-risk inspection/assessment.
Cost of Reinspection After Repairs
A re-inspection is done to verify whether the issues identified during the first inspection have been fixed. The home inspector will only check the areas tagged for repairs this time.
Home re-inspection costs can vary, but the average is usually $50 to $100.
🤌 Cash for Ugly Houses: Distressed sellers lack the motivation to do the repairs identified in the house inspection and may eventually sell to a cash home buyer.
Home Inspection Cost Estimates in West Virginia
|Home Inspection Type||Inspection||Average Price of this Home Inspection|
|Exterior||1. Foundation||$300 - $1,000|
|Exterior||2. Garage||$200 - $600|
|Exterior||3. Roof||$75 - $200|
|Exterior||4. Exterior Walls||$200 - $800|
|Interior||1. Electrical||$150 - $200|
|Interior||2. Plumbing||$180 - $225|
|Interior||3. Kitchen Appliances||$200 - $400|
|Interior||4. HVAC||$100 - $400|
|Specialized||1. Asbestos||$229 - $791|
|Specialized||2. Radon||$145 - $700|
|Specialized||3. Lead-based Paint||$250 - $700|
|Specialized||4. Wood-destroying organisms or Termite||$230 - $930|
|Specialized||5. Mold||$200 - $1,000|
|Specialized||6. Soil||$700 - $2,000|
|Specialized||7. Chimney||$300 - $600|
1. Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/
2. Homeadvisor: https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/
3. Homeguide: https://homeguide.com/costs/
4. Fixr: https://www.fixr.com/costs/
Who Pays for the Home Inspection in West Virginia?
The homebuyer typically pays for the home inspection in West Virginia.
The house inspection cost is included in the buyer’s closing costs, but this cost is paid at the time of the service.
🤌 Sellers Paying Inspection Fees: If a home seller does a pre-inspection, they incur the house inspection cost.
Do New Homes Need an Inspection in West Virginia?
Yes, new-construction homes should be inspected. The newly constructed property may not have cosmetic flaws or wiring issues, but it’s still uninhabited and brand new.
The structure and foundation, plumbing, and HVAC should be evaluated. Contractors and sub-contractors that work fast only follow the bare minimum requirements of house building. It is possible that an issue with your new property exists because it is a new construction!
Do not assume that a new home will be unblemished!
How to Choose the Right Home Inspector in West Virginia?
Only a credible and diligent home inspector can identify the flaws in your property. Before scheduling a home inspection, you should check out:
- Home Inspector’s Credentials: Check if your home inspector is licensed and whether they are a member of ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) or NACHI (National Association of Certified Home Inspectors)
- Training and Experience: How many certifications have they done? How many homes were inspected in their tenure? Do they perform specialized home inspections?
- Pricing: Verify if the home inspector is charging as per the average house inspection costs in your area. It is likely that an experienced inspector may charge more for inspections.
- Quality of home inspection reports: Is the inspection report detailed and specific? How meticulously has the home been inspected?
Do You Need a Home Inspection?
Yes, you need a home inspection!
Buying a house is probably one of the biggest transactions of your life. A home inspection gives you a preview of the house you will move into, and the average cost is just $280 in West Virginia. You can save yourself unexpected repairs in the future!
Home Inspection reveals potentially life-threatening issues in a house. As a home buyer, you can negotiate with the seller to fix the issues identified in the home inspection report.
Recommended Articles for Buying a House
- How to Buy a House in West Virginia
- Best Time to Buy a House in West Virginia
- West Virginia Lenders
- Mortgage Brokers in West Virginia
- Mortgage Preapproval
- West Virginia All Cash Home Buyers: Sell your distressed properties with Companies that Buy Houses for Cash. Discover the top companies that purchased houses for cash in West Virginia.
- Closing Costs: Find costs associated with buying or selling a house & whether you can negotiate them.
- Closing Costs in West Virginia for Seller: What are the closing costs as a seller in West Virginia? See the real cost and how you can negotiate your closing costs as a seller.
- Closing Costs for Buyer in West Virginia: Check out real costs related to buying a house and see if you can negotiate your closing costs as a buyer.
- Home Sale Proceeds Calculator West Virginia: Calculate seller closing costs using Houzeo’s advanced Closing Cost Calculator
- West Virginia Closing Cost Calculator for Buyer: Calculate buyer closing costs using Houzeo’s advanced Closing Cost Calculator
- For Sale By Owner Websites: Sell by owner and save 3% listing agent commission NOW!
- House Market West Virginia: The housing market refers to properties bought and sold directly to buyers or through real estate brokers
- Flat Fee Realtor: Skip the listing commission and pay a flat fee to successfully sell your home with Flat Fee Realtors.
Related: how much does a home inspection cost in west virginia, home inspection cost west virginia, how much is a home inspection in west Virginia, how much does a wv home inspection cost, wv home inspection cost, home inspection cost west virginia, how much does a home inspection cost in west Virginia, home inspection cost in northern west Virginia, how much does a home inspection cost in northern west virginia, home staging, home staging West Virginia, real estate photography West Virginia, West Virginia real estate photographer, property title insurance, minimum credit score to buy a house in West Virginia, West Virginia flat fee mls, wv fsbo, for sale by owner contract West Virginia, how to flip houses in West Virginia, wholesaling houses in West Virginia, low cost real estate agent
average cost of home inspection in west Virginia, average cost of home inspection northern west Virginia, average home inspection cost for town home in northern west Virginia, home inspection cost in west Virginia, home inspection west Virginia cost, west virginia home inspection cost, housezo, houszeo, houzzeo, hozeo, what percentage are closing costs in West Virginia, who pays closing costs in West Virginia, cash offer on house West Virginia, title insurance West Virginia rates, owner’s title insurance cost in state of West Virginia, does seller pay lender’s title insurance in West Virginia, flat fee mls West Virginia, for sale by owner who pays buyer’s agent, houzeo reviews, listing on mls, how to list on mls by owner, free for sale by owner sites, selling a house without a realtor, tips to sell your home fast, mls listing flat fee, flat fee mls listing for sale by ownerUncategorized