Sellers are often required to list out all the physical aspects of their property to prospective home buyers. This increases clarity and facilitates a better sale. That is exactly where a seller disclosure statement comes into the picture.
Sometimes to make a quick and easy sale, sellers tend to disguise the defects in the house. However, if the buyer finds material defects later, the seller may face legal consequences. To avoid these, our guide will take you through seller disclosure Utah.
» Selling A House In Utah: Know The Process To Sell Your Home In Utah.
What are Seller Disclosures?
The Seller Disclosure form is a standard checklist form containing material defects and features of the property. It specifically provides information about the property that may negatively affect the value of the house.
If there are material defects in a property that may impact the value of the property and the seller is aware of them, then the seller must disclose them. However, sellers should report these defects to the best of their knowledge and understanding.
The aim of Seller Disclosure is to maintain transparency in the real – estate transaction to keep the buyer aware of any defects present in the house.
» Selling Home As Is In Utah: Here Is Houzeo’s Guide On How To Sell Your Home As-Is In Utah.
Importance of Seller Disclosures
Seller’s disclosures serve the following purpose in real estate transactions:
|🔎||Give Complete Information About The Property||Disclosures help communicate the defects present on the property. They ensure that all the stakeholders involved in the transaction are well aware of the property's history.|
|⚖️||Protects Sellers Against Legal Liabilities||Once you disclose all the known defects present in the house or which come to light during the inspection, you may be exempted from any future liability against those defects.|
|👍||Develops Credibility||Honesty, accuracy and transparency are of utmost importance when selling your house. Disclosures are a way of achieving all of these and thereby enhancing your credibility.|
» Sell My House Fast For Cash: Check Out The Best Options To Sell Your Home Fast for Cash.
Utah Seller Disclosure Law
The sellers in Utah are bound by specific federal and state laws in relation to the sale of their property. Set out below are a few pointers revolving around Utah seller disclosure laws.
Statute on Seller Disclosure Utah
Utah being a caveat-emptor state puts the onus on the buyer to conduct due diligence prior to purchasing the property. However, this does not excuse the seller of the duty to disclose all the material and latent defects in the residential property. The seller must disclose such material information to the buyer on the Utah Seller’s Property Condition Disclosure form. The seller must to his best knowledge truthfully answer the questions posed by the buyer.
» Sell My Home Fast Utah: Read Our Blog If You’re In Dire Need To Sell Your House Fast In Utah.
Disclosure of Material Defects
Apart from stating various characteristics and important aspects of the property and structure, the seller must disclose the latent material defects of the house to the prospective buyer.
- ✍️ Editor’s Note: Latent material defects are the ones which are not apparent or visibly recognizable defects, but they significantly affect the value of the property. Generally, these defects pose a threat to the safety or health of the occupants.
Lead-Based Paint Disclosure Utah
Additionally, as mandated under Federal Law, the sellers must disclose if their property (if built prior to 1978) has been coated by lead-based paints. The Lead-based paint disclosure form for the seller should be filled out by the seller.
🤔 Too Many Disclosures Giving You A Headache?
Worry not! Houzeo’s cutting edge technology automatically provides you with the necessary disclosures, curated to match your property and location.
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
Most Common Mistakes By FSBO Home Sellers in Disclosures
The main object of disclosures in any area is to give clarity and perspective to a buyer. Buyers who are looking for a home usually have certain criteria in mind before searching for a home. A seller disclosure acts as a bridge to close these doubts, giving buyers a reason to have faith in you and your deal.
- One of the biggest mistakes a seller can make is not giving disclosures at all. The lack of trust between a buyer and seller can demotivate a buyer from considering your property altogether. Hence, it is suggested that sellers complete all disclosure formalities as soon as possible, even though it may not be legally required in your state.
- Likewise, sellers also get an option to mark a point as ‘unknown’ in disclosures. This gives you ample opportunity to be honest in your disclosures. Also, marking a certain disclosure clause as ‘unknown’ shifts the burden on a buyer to inspect that particular problem. Hence, don’t make the mistake of lying on your disclosures, as that would count as fraudulent misrepresentation and attract a lawsuit.
- Most state laws prescribe that the disclosures should be provided before closing. As an FSBO seller, it is your duty to provide disclosures as soon as possible, since you do not have a real estate agent to do these things for you.
- ✍️ Pro Tip: Sellers who are selling their house the FSBO way are advised to keep their Disclosure Statement ready before listing on the MLS. It increases your credibility and reliability from a buyer’s perspective, as they get an idea of the property’s condition early on.
» How To Sell A House By Owner In Utah: Are You Considering Selling Your House Without A Realtor? Here Are Our Tips For A Smooth Selling Process.
Tips to Minimize Issues in Utah Disclosure Documents
- Review and Verify – There’s a time allowance (some permit 10 days) to review and verify everything about your Purchase and Sales Agreement—also the square footage, home usage, and marketing.
- Ask Questions – Ask questions when in doubt. This would help you in avoiding future trouble.
- Hire A Professional Inspector – A professional inspector can help you gather backup information about the property’s condition. You can also opt for a pre-inspection before listing. Utah Home Inspectors – Find out the best home inspectors in Utah.
- Disclose Everything – To avoid problems in your home disclosure statement disclose everything you know honestly. Even a minor issue could turn out to be important.
- Get A Licensed Agent Involved – The best way to avoid disclosure issues is to get licensed UT real estate agents who can manage and assist in the process.
- ✍️ Pro Tip: List Your Property With Houzeo
One of the best ways to minimize problems in your seller’s disclosure is to Purchase the “Contract to Close Upgrade Package”. A Licensed broker will review your paperwork to make sure it is appropriate. In addition, you should also have the settlement agent review the paperwork so you cover all bases.
» More: Start your FREE listing NOW!
Final Word: Complexity of Seller’s Disclosure in Utah
|Level of Complexity||Average|
|Is Utah a Caveat Emptor State?||Yes|
|Is Utah a Non-Disclosure State?||No|
Disclosure laws in Utah follow the rule of ‘caveat emptor,’ i.e. let the buyer beware. Thus, it is a buyer’s duty in Utah to act with due diligence while buying a home, as the seller is not made legally liable to make disclosures.
Utah Seller’s Disclosures Statements are a little complicated. Selling your house FSBO is usually good, but then you would have to deal with all the disclosures on your own. This demands that you be aware of all the disclosure requirements and that any mistake can cost you dearly. Houzeo can help you with this.
- ✍️ Editor’s Note: Though selling your home yourself on a For Sale By Owner website can save you thousands in commission, we highly recommend you add a Flat Fee MLS listing to your marketing strategy. Check out the best Flat Fee Utah.
By listing your property with Houzeo, you get access to all forms in electronic format. And that too, for FREE! Houzeo has segregated all the disclosures state-wise so that you don’t have to hunt for Utah seller disclosures separately.
Check out some of the Houzeo reviews and how it has helped customers around the US.
*Seller disclosures are primarily the responsibility of a home seller. Regardless of the service, you engage in, you are required to ensure seller disclosures provided by you are complete and accurate to your best knowledge. Houzeo is not a brokerage or a licensed agent. It is a tech platform, and the tips presented here should not be construed as advice for which a real estate or attorney license is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are seller's disclosures required in Utah?
Yes, the sellers must disclose to the buyer if there is any material or lateral defect present in the property.
Is Utah a caveat emptor state?
Yes, Utah is a "buyer-beware" state where the buyers must conduct due diligence before purchasing the property.
Which disclosures are not necessary to be told to the buyer?
The seller can refrain from disclosing the following - if the house was occupied by a person having AIDs or another disease, if a person had committed suicide or if a person was murdered in the house.
- Cash For My House In Utah– Find Out The Companies In Utah That Buy Homes For Cash.
- Home Staging Companies In Utah– Read Our Blog To Know Helpful Tricks To Make Your House Attractive To Buyers.
- How Much Are Home Closing Costs In Utah– Know How Much Are Closing Costs In Utah.
- Who Pays Real Estate Closing Costs In Utah– Buyer Or Seller? Read More To Know Who Generally Pays The Closing Cost In Illinois.
- Is Title Insurance Required In Utah– The Expanding Market Reflects How New Homeowners Want To Protect Their Investment Years After Closing. But What Exactly Is Title Insurance? Let’s Find Out!
- Real Estate Companies In Southern Utah– Here’s Our Compiled A List Of The Top 10 Real Estate Companies In Utah.
- Best Time Of Year To Sell A House In Utah– Find Out The Best Time To Sell Your Property In Utah.
For UT Seller –
- Sellers Closing Costs Utah– Find Out Seller’s Closing Costs Obligations In Utah.
- Closing Costs Calculator Seller Utah– Here’s Houzeo’s Closing Cost Calculator For The Seller.
For UT Buyer-
- Estimated Closing Costs For Buyer In Utah– Find Out Buyer’s Closing Costs Obligations In Utah.
- How To Calculate Closing Costs For Buyer In Utah – Here’s Houzeo’s Closing Cost Calculator For The Buyer.
Related: seller disclosure utah, utah seller disclosure form, utah seller disclosure document, utah seller’s property condition disclosure form, utah seller’s property condition disclosure, utah seller’s property condition disclosure pdf, seller property condition disclosure statement utah, utah seller property condition disclosure, utah real estate seller disclosure form, seller’s property condition disclosure utah, utah association of realtors seller property condition disclosure, seller disclosure form utah, seller disclosure form utah pdf, lead based paint disclosure utah, is utah a non disclosure state, utah state seller disclosure, utah seller’s disclosure, utah seller’s property disclosure, houzzeo, houszeo, housezo, hozeo, selling inherited property in utah, cash offers utah, utah real estate photography, utah foreclosuresUncategorized