On average, home sellers in Wyoming spend nearly 9 to 15 months selling an inherited property. Median days on the market will increase significantly in the coming months due to the slowing real estate market in Wyoming.
So, if you are ready to sell your inherited house in Wyoming, start now!
- Probate Process: A probate is a legal validation of a deceased person’s will that helps to distribute the property amongst its heirs and beneficiaries.
- Sale of an Inherited House in Wyoming: After the probate is completed, the process of selling an inherited house is the same as selling a pre-owned house in Wyoming.
- Selling a House with Multiple Inheritors in Wyoming: If the inherited property has multiple heirs, the majority can decide to sell the house by filing a lawsuit of partition action in the state probate court of Wyoming.
- Inheritance Tax: The state of Wyoming does not impose an inheritance tax upon the transfer of ownership.
- Bottom Line: In 2023, more sellers in Wyoming are opting to sell their homes by owner. By using Wyoming For Sale By Owner websites, you get full exposure via the MLS and save thousands in commission – negating the decline in home prices.
Can I Sell an Inherited House in Wyoming?
Yes, you can sell your inherited house in Wyoming after the probate process is complete. Selling an inherited property is similar to selling a pre-owned home.
Here are two crucial factors that can impact your sale:
1. Probate Process
An inherited property in Wyoming must undergo a probate process that can take 6 to 12 months to complete. The probate period varies statewide. It can extend in case of multiple inheritors or the absence of a will.
You need to submit the owner’s death certificate and property ownership proof during the probate process. You also have to pay for several expenses such as outstanding mortgages, taxes on the property, and other bills.
Properties Exempted from Undergoing Probate Process in Wyoming
You will be exempted from a probate process under the following conditions:
- Wyoming Transfer-on-Death Deeds: Transfer-on-death deed in Wyoming allows the ownership of a property to transfer directly to the inheritor when the owner is deceased. The owner can retain control over the property as long as he lives.
- Receive a House in Trust in Wyoming: A property trust is a legal entity that allows the passing of the ownership of a property from the grantor (the owner) to the beneficiary. You can inherit a house directly without probate if the owner has placed the house in a trust.
2. Mortgage on Inherited Assets in Wyoming
The mortgage on the inherited property in Wyoming can be paid off in one of three ways:
- 👾 ALIENATION CLAUSE: This clause triggers when the ownership of an inherited property is transferred to a new heir. The inheritor now has to pay off the full mortgage. However, certain laws allow you to repay the mortgage on a monthly basis. A real estate attorney can help you with this.
Taxes on an Inherited Property in Wyoming
You have to pay taxes while selling the property in Wyoming and not when inheriting it.
1. Inheritance Tax
Inheritance tax is a state tax applicable when you inherit a property from a deceased person. However, the state of Wyoming does not impose an inheritance tax while inheriting real property.
👉 NOTE: Inheritance tax does not apply to the spouse and children of the deceased owner.
2. Taxes When Selling an Inherited Property in Wyoming
- Transfer Tax: Transfer tax is a one-time fee you pay when transferring the ownership of your inherited house during its sale. The state of Wyoming does not have any transfer tax.
- Property Tax: Wyoming imposes an average effective property tax rate of 0.55%. It is well below the national average of 0.99%. The median property tax in Wyoming is $1,058 per year for a home worth the median value of $184,000.
- Capital Gains Tax: Capital gains tax is imposed when you sell the house, not while inheriting it. The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) authority levies the tax on a stepped-up basis. However, the state of Wyoming does not impose capital gains tax.
- 💡 Capital Gains Tax Exclusion: You can be excluded from paying capital gains tax in the US if the following criteria are met:
1. You have lived in the property for more than two years in the last five years.
2. You have not used the exclusion in the past two years for another property.
Selling the Inherited Property in Wyoming
After completing the probate process, you can sell your inherited property. Selling an inherited home is similar to the sale of a pre-owned house in Wyoming.
You must follow a certain number of steps to sell a house in Wyoming. They typically include-
- Hiring a Mediator: Hire a real estate agent or realtor to assist you in the home selling process.
- Pricing Your Home for Sale: Analyse the current market trends and price your home accordingly.
- Hiring a Photographer: Professionally photographed homes sell 32% faster. Make sure to hire among the best Wyoming real estate photographers to create a portfolio of your house.
- Listing Your Home on the MLS: Homes listed on the MLS sell faster and for 17% more. You can list for sale by owner on MLS in Wyoming via a Flat Fee MLS service like Houzeo at a flat fee.
- Managing Showings: Host open houses and schedule showings to attract potential buyers for your inherited property.
- Negotiating Offers: You must compare the offers from prospective buyers on your listing. You can also negotiate if the proposed offer is too low.
- Closing the Sale: The closing process mainly consists of you completing the final paperwork, and paying the closing costs and home-selling taxes.
» Closing Costs in Wyoming: Check out how much closing costs are in Wyoming and who pays them.
Selling an Inherited House in Wyoming with Other People
Sometimes a single property in Wyoming might have multiple inheritors. They may include close family members like siblings, cousins, etc. In such cases, selling a house with multiple inheritors can become difficult.
Appoint a neutral party as the head person for sale. They will ensure a transparent home sale process. The head person will also guarantee a fair distribution of proceeds amongst the inheritors.
What if All Owners Don’t Agree to Sell in Wyoming?
In such cases, the majority of inheritors can go ahead with the sale.
You can start by filing a lawsuit known as a partition action in the Wyoming probate court. This will allow the majority of inheritors to sell the house and distribute the proceeds amongst themselves immediately after probation.
The majority of owners can also sell the house post-probation. They must file the partition action in the local court instead of the probate court.
Ways to Sell Your Inherited House in Wyoming
You have several options to sell your inherited home in Wyoming:
- List Your Wyoming Home on a For Sale By Owner Website: Wyoming FSBO websites allow you to leverage technology in your home sale and save thousands in commissions. You retain control of your transaction and can engage directly with the buyer and buyer’s agent. FSBO sites will also get you listed fast, typically within 24 to 48 hours.
- List with a Discount Real Estate Broker in Wyoming: Discount real estate brokers in Wyoming offer all the services that traditional Realtors do but at discounted rates. They usually charge 1.5% to 3% commissions to list your home. You can also opt for a flat fee Realtor to list your home.
- List with a Full-Service Wyoming Realtor: Hiring a full-service agent may not be the best alternative. They charge a hefty real estate commission of 5% to 6%. This will decrease your net proceeds significantly. However, if you need hand-holding at each step, opt for local Wyoming realtors in your neighborhood.
- Sell Your Home to an iBuyer in Wyoming: An iBuyer can instantly make a cash offer and help you sell your house fast in Wyoming. They make cash offers as high as 100% of the fair market value. However, iBuyers have strict purchase criteria.
- Sell Your Wyoming House to a Flipper: You can sell your inherited property to professional house flippers in Wyoming. They extend offers as high as 70% of the fair market value.
✍️ Pro Tip: Sell Your Distressed Inherited Property to Cash Home Buyers in Wyoming
Cash home-buying companies typically offer 50% to 70% of the property’s fair market value. They majorly deal in distressed and rental properties.
» Wyoming Cash Home Buyers: Check out our rankings.
Selling an inherited house in Wyoming is a complex and time-consuming process. Your inherited home might remain in probate for nearly 6 to 12 months. You also have to pay several taxes when selling your inherited home.
All of this adds to the complexity and expenses of selling a house. We recommend you sell with a Flat Fee MLS company to ensure a smooth sale.
Eager to Know More About Houzeo?
We’ve got you covered. Check out the following video to understand why Houzeo is one of the best for sale by owner websites in the U.S.
Houzeo offers 4 Flat Fee MLS packages.
- Bronze Package – $329+: This package offers Houzeo listing only for 6 months with maximum photos.
- Silver Package – $399+: This includes everything that home sellers typically look for.
- Gold Package – $379+: It is Houzeo’s signature MLS package and includes all the technology Houzeo is known for Houzeo Showings, Houzeo Offers, and DigiTransact.
- Platinum – $349+: It includes the assistance of a licensed broker to help you with negotiations, disclosures, and closing.
👉 Our Take: We recommend the GOLD plan. You’ll have access to Houzeo tech, making managing showings and offer negotiations easy! Confirm all prices on the state’s pricing page before you list.
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish listing formalities in less than 60 mins.
Houzeo is America’s #1 Flat Fee MLS service because of 4 reasons:
- Max Exposure: Houzeo MLS packages give you access to the MLS, Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, and 100s of other websites.
- 5-star Customer Service: Houzeo has a fully staffed customer service desk available 6 days a week. Chats and emails are open 7 days a week. This is rare in today’s world.
- 100% Online: Houzeo is high-tech. For you, this means easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers. Houzeo mobile app is also very powerful.
- No Hidden Fees: In most states, you’ll be paying just a small flat fee to list on MLS by owner. And remember, all fees are disclosed upfront, so there are no Houzeo hidden fees. You get to bypass the listing agent commission.
Real People, Real Stories
Start Your FREE Listing NOW!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does Wyoming have an inheritance tax?
No. The state of Wyoming does not impose an inheritance tax when inheriting assets.
2. How to avoid capital gains tax in Wyoming?
To avoid capital gains tax on real estate in Wyoming, you have to reside in an inherited house for more than two years in the last five years. You also had not used the exclusion on another property to be eligible for the exclusion.
3. Is there a time limit on selling inherited property in Wyoming?
No, there is no time limit to sell an inherited property in Wyoming. Once the probate process is completed and the legal inheritor is declared, you can sell your inherited property anytime.
inheritance tax wyoming, transfer on death deed wyoming, wyoming estate tax, wyoming capital gains tax, wyoming probate law, wyoming inheritance tax, transfer of property after death without will in wyoming, wyoming inheritance law, does wyoming have an inheritance tax, inheritance tax in wyoming, wyoming estate laws, wyoming property laws, wyoming intestacy laws, wyoming probate laws, wyoming inheritance laws without a will, Housezo, houszeo, houzzeo, hozeo
wyoming inheritance laws, heir property laws in wyoming, wyoming capital gains tax on real estate, does wyoming have inheritance tax, estate taxes in wyoming, estate tax wyoming, wyoming escheatment, death tax in wyoming, wyoming intestate succession, how to probate an estate without a will in wyoming, wyoming estate law, is there an inheritance tax in wyoming, estate tax in wyoming