From Lafayette Square to Soulard, home sellers across St. Louis dread the 6% real estate agent commission. The best discount real estate brokers use cutting-edge technology and stellar customer service making it easy to sell your home.
👉🏻 Key Takeaways
- Discount real estate brokers will help you list your home for 0.5% to 2% commission. Traditional listing brokers charge 2.5-3%.
- The discount is on the listing fee. You still have to pay the buyer agent commission, typically 2.5-3%.
- Discount real estate brokers will save you between $5,000 to $20,000 on average.
- Houzeo.com is America’s best discount real estate company. Houzeo offers the best combination of maximum exposure, commission savings, cutting-edge tech, and stellar customer service.
We’ve spent thousands of hours researching discount real estate brokers and compiled our list of the best discount real estate brokers.
Rankings: Best Discount Real Estate Brokers & Companies in St. Louis
|Rank||Discount Real Estate Broker / Company||Listing Fee||Additional Charges||Max Savings||100% Online||5-Star Reviews*||Mobile App|
Reviews: 5 Best Discount Real Estate Brokers & Companies in St. Louis
Houzeo offers 4 Flat Fee MLS packages.
- Bronze Package – $379+: This package offers Houzeo listing only for 6 months with maximum photos.
- Silver Package – $399+: This includes everything that home sellers typically look for.
- Gold Package – $379+: It is Houzeo’s signature MLS package and includes all the technology Houzeo is known for Houzeo Showings, Houzeo Offers, and DigiTransact.
- Platinum – $349+: It includes the assistance of a licensed broker to help you with negotiations, disclosures, and closing.
👉 Our Take: We recommend the GOLD plan. You’ll have access to Houzeo tech, making managing showings and offer negotiations easy!
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish listing formalities in less than 60 minutes.
Houzeo is America’s #1 Flat Fee MLS service because of 4 reasons:
- Max Exposure: Houzeo MLS packages give you access to the MLS, Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, and 100s of other websites.
- 5-star Customer Service: Houzeo has a fully staffed customer service desk available 6 days a week. Chats and emails are open 7 days a week.
- 100% Online: Houzeo is high-tech. For you, this means easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers. Houzeo Mobile App is also very powerful.
- No Listing Commission: In most states, you’ll be paying just a small flat fee to list on MLS. Houzeo covers 47 states + DC! And remember, all fees are disclosed upfront, so there are no Houzeo hidden fees. You get to bypass the listing agent commission!
Houzeo.com is America’s #1 ranked Flat Fee service. Houzeo provides an unbeatable combination of max savings, 5-star customer support, and cutting-edge technology.
Houzeo’s Bronze Package is priced at $329+, the Silver package is priced at $399+, and the Gold at $379 + 0.5% (Minimum $999) at closing. Sellers can ask for the full-service Platinum package which costs $349 + 1% (Minimum $999) at closing.
2. Johnson Realty
Johnson Realty is a full-service discount brokerage that helps sellers to list their property at a fair price with great savings.
- The Johnson Plan – $500 upfront + 0.5% of 1% at closing: This plan includes a CMA, showings and their feedback through the ShowingTime app, listing on many real estate websites, a durable metal sign, and more.
👉 Our Take: You get all the services including thorough analysis, and MLS listing. However, as a seller, you must pay 0.5% of 1% of the sale price, after which the closing document will be signed.
Johnson Realty offers you the following benefits.
- Unique Plan: They offer a unique plan includes a $500 flat rate + 0.5% of 1% of the sale price.
- Market Exposure: Your home will feature on many real estate websites like Zillow, Trulia and Realtor.com.
- Agent Assistance: Johnson Realty’s licensed consulting team will help you execute your transaction through closing.
In our research, we have found some deal breakers associated with Johnson Realty.
- Outside Agent Involvement: An outside agent from another company will schedule the showing through the MLS. There might be inconsistencies in the quality of these agents.
No credible sources were found to provide the reviews.
Johnson Realty is one of Illinois’ highest-selling brokers. You can avail yourself of an extra discount if you sell your home and buy a new one with them.
An outside agent from another company will schedule the showing through the MLS. There may be discrepancies in the quality of these agents.
3. Sunshine Realty
Sunshine Realty is a full-service discount realtor in Missouri. They offer services to home sellers and buyers.
- $399 Upfront Fee +1/2 of 1% (.5%): It includes online marketing, professional photos, MLS listing, negotiations, and paperwork.
👉 Our Take: We recommend them for their good market exposure in Missouri.
Here are some advantages of choosing Sunshine Realty:
- Market Exposure: They have good market exposure. They offer listing on Realtor.com and other 60+ websites.
- Detailed Paperwork: They provide complete assistance in negotiating, paperwork, and closing documents.
Here are some of the red flags you should consider before choosing them:
- Lack of Communication: Customers have complained their agents were unreachable at times. This creates a lack of communication.
- Mobile App: They do not provide any mobile application service to their customers.
Sunshine Realty has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars from 46 reviews on Google.
Sunshine Realty is one of the highest-selling realtors in Missouri from 2015-2018. They have a good market exposure, providing 60+ listing on Realtor.com and other 60+ websites.
However, customers have complained about lack of communication from their agents.
- Listing Fee: 2.5% of the sale price (or as decided by agent)
- Available in all major cities
- 4.7/5 (56 reviews)
UpNest is an innovative real estate marketplace that connects home sellers and buyers with agents in their area.
- Pricing: There’s no direct cost to using UpNest, but the savings are marginal. UpNest agents decide their commission fees. The discount rate varies.
👉 Out Take: We do not recommend Upnest for home sellers or buyers. UpNest’s network is reliable and quick, but savings aren’t guaranteed. You might end up paying more than you had expected.
» Is UpNest Legit? Find out if UpNest is legit!
Here are some advantages of using Upnest. No Obligation Service
- No Obligation Service: Within 24 hours timeline after signing up, UpNest will send you multiple agents you can choose from. If nothing fits, you can simply walk away.
- High-quality Agent Network: UpNest partners with top agents from leading national brokerage firms across the U.S. All agent matches remain unbiased, based on your criteria and preferences.
- User-friendly Dashboard: UpNest’s customer dashboard is intuitive and makes it easy to compare agent matches. It also features options to contact the matched agents or your UpNest Advisor with a single click.
» What is UpNest? Read the comprehensive review to know more!
In our research, we found some red flags associated with UpNest.
- Marginal Savings: The commission rates aren’t pre-defined. The negotiation ultimately relies on you. Past sellers have claimed that the lowest listing fee is 2% which is quite high.
- Inconsistent Customer Service: Customers have revealed that some UpNest representatives are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. However, rest of them struggle to answer simple questions.
» How Does Upnest Work? Agent-matching at UpNest is pretty straightforward. Check it out!
UpNest connects you with agents in your area by utilizing technology and market data. They partner with top agents from leading national brokerage firms across the U.S.
However, your savings are not guaranteed. Your ability to negotiate would be the key factor in the deal. In other words, you may end up paying more commission, or discount rates won’t go low as you expected.
Redfin is a popular discount brokearge that helps you sell for only 1.5%. They also provide a 1% discounted listing fee for buying and selling with them.
Redfin for Home Sellers
- Redfin Full-Service Agent – 1% Commission (Buy & Sell): This is a full-service package. This includes premium placement on Redfin, professional photos, and a 3D walkthrough.
- Redfin Premier Agent – 1% Commission (Buy & Sell): This package is exclusively for luxury properties and includes coordinated e-mail campaigns, luxe mailers, and brochures.
Redfin For Home Buyers
- Buyer Rebate – 0.5%: If you sell first, Redfin initially charges a 1.5% listing fee. Later, they refund 0.5% if you buy your next home with them within a year.
👉Our Take: Redfin gives your property exposure and provides other services. But you can only enjoy these benefits if you use Redfin to buy and sell.
Here are some advantages of choosing Redfin:
- Nationwide Coverage: Redfin covers 80+ markets in the US.
- Advanced Technology: They have a user-friendly website and provide a mobile app.
- Full-Service Agents at Low Commission: Redfin’s full-service package is priced at 1.5%. It saves you thousands compared to the traditional 3% listing commission.
- Detailed Marketing Plan: Redfin provides the necessary paperwork and a marketing plan.
- Buyer Rebate: If you sell with Redfin for a 1.5% commission, you get a 0.5% rebate for buying another home within 365 days.
In our research, we found some red flags of Redfin, that could make your experience less satisfactory.
- No Dedicated Service: Customers have often complained that Redfin agents are not able to give personalized service.
- Mixed Customer Reviews: Customers have complained that agents are often unreachable and unprofessional.
- Slow Listing Process: According to Redfin’s listing agreement, a Redfin property takes 18 days to list on MLS.
- Limited Agent Selection: Based on customer reviews, Redfin has a limited selection of agents. This results in giving you fewer options to choose an agent.
Redfin is primarily known for its advanced tech platform and mobile app. It covers 80+ markets in the US.
Redfin’s listing agreement states they will list your property on the MLS in 18 days. Services like Houzeo will list you on the MLS within 24 to 48 hours.
What Are Discount Brokers and Companies?
Discount real estate brokers are companies or agents who sell your home for less than the standard 2.5 to 3% commission. Sellers receive basic real estate services at a pre-negotiated fee of 0.5% to 2% or even a flat fee.
The reduced fee can easily save sellers thousands in commissions.
You may be now wondering if their services are comparable to those of a traditional Realtor at this point. Discount real estate brokers typically offer the same services as full-service brokers. The key difference is in pricing.
🤔 Do you offer buyer agent commission to discount brokerages?
YES! Most real estate discount brokers and brokerages will recommend you pay a full buyer agent fee. It is typically between 2% and 3% in most states.
It is vital to pay a competitive commission to the buyer’s agent. This will ensure you sell your home quickly while still receiving the best price possible.
Types of Discount Brokers
Find a discount real estate broker that fits your budget and saves you the most money! The four major types of real estate discount brokerages and companies are as follows:
1. Flat Fee MLS Companies: Flat Fee MLS companies get you on the MLS for a small flat fee saving you thousands in commissions. Best Flat Fee MLS listing companies like Houzeo can get you on the MLS within 48 hours, or even faster!
2. Flat Rate Full-Service Companies: These companies charge a fixed fee instead of the regular 3% commission. This amount can be anywhere between $3,000 and $5,000. A flat rate Realtor is perfect for homes priced on the higher end.
3. Low-Commission Estate Agents: Low commission discount brokers offer full-service packages. These are usually priced at 1% or 2%. They cover everything from listing, negotiations, and pricing.
4. Virtual Full Service: A virtual full-service discount broker handles everything online. Companies like Houzeo, also provide full-service options that are 100% online. All services including price negotiation and marketing support are at no additional cost.
Pros and Cons of a Discount Realtor
The primary benefit of working with discount real estate brokers is that they have lower overhead costs. However, a discount broker may not have as much time to communicate. They juggle many clients and may not be available for your queries.
- Reduced Fees: You’ll pay less for listing costs. While standard brokers typically charge at least 3%, discount brokers may charge as little as 0.5% to 1%.
- Full Access to Basic Real Estate Services: You receive the same basic services as you would with a traditional agent. They provide assistance with pricing, marketing, and negotiations.
- Streamlined Process: A low-cost Realtor facilitates the selling process. They are motivated to work efficiently and eliminate all unnecessary steps from the sales process.
- Not Enough Savings: Some discount brokerages may charge hidden fees or sell their services a la carte. This might add to your expenses.
- Not for First-Time Sellers: Most discount real estate brokerages are digital, so you almost never have to talk to anyone in-person. A first-time seller or buyer who needs some hand-holding may not be able to benefit much.
- Lack of Personal Attention: Discount Realtors handle multiple clients at once to make up for the reduced commission rate. They may not be able to provide personalized services.
- High Cancellation Fee: A discount realty company can charge a minimum withdrawal fee within a specified period of time. Remember to carefully review the terms and conditions of the contract before signing.
Discount Real Estate Brokers to Avoid
Some agent-matching websites advertise themselves as “free”. But in reality, they keep a portion of the commission received by the discount real estate brokers. Because you pay the commission, this amount comes out of your pocket.
For example, List With Clever promotes itself as an informational real estate website that matches sellers with discount realtors. Even though Clever claims to be “free”, 25% to 40% of your commission will be directed to Clever as a “Referral Fee”.
» Clever Real Estate: Check out what you lose when you sell or buy with Clever!
💸 Save Thousands in REALTOR Commission
Sell your house with Houzeo.com for a small flat fee – as low as $349!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
How to Choose a Discount Realtor or Company?
It is essential to select the right real estate agent for your home-selling journey. The following are a couple of pointers to assist you with picking the ideal discount broker or company.
1. Savings: Discount real estate brokers in St. Louis have a variety of pricing structures. So, choose one that maximizes savings while still providing all of the services you require.
3. Customer Reviews: Check for online customer reviews. This helps you to get an idea of the kind of services you are going to receive.
How Much Can I Save With a Discount Realtor?
As a seller, you can save anywhere between $1,632 and $ 6,680.
Typically, home sellers pay 6% of total realtor commissions. The total commission is divided between the listing agent (3%) and the buyer’s agent (3%). Discount real estate brokers pre-negotiate a reduced listing agent commission of 1% to 2%.
Therefore, you save a commission of 4% to 5% on your home sale.
As a home buyer, you get a buyer’s rebate – a type of cashback received after the sale. A typical buyer rebate is 1% to 2% of the home’s purchase price.
For example, Redfin offers a buyer rebate of 0.5% to clients who sell and buy with Redfin within 1 year.
However, in order to qualify for this buyer rebate, buyers must fulfill specific requirements. The most important is the minimum price range.
🤔 What is a home buyer rebate?
A Realtor rebate is a type of cashback you receive as a buyer. Some brokerages and agents offer these rebates as an incentive to attract more buyers. Buyer rebates are allowed in 40 states.
Who Should Use a Discount Broker?
Discount Brokers are ideal for sellers and buyers who want to focus on savings.
- Sellers on a Tight Budget: Homeowners who wish to save money might list with a low-fee Realtor. This can help them save big.
- Real Estate Investors: Real estate investors who frequently trade can benefit from low-commission discount brokers.
- House Flippers: Home flipping is a strategy where an investor purchases a property to renovate it and sell it for a profit. Home flippers can save thousands on agent commissions by selling via discount brokers.
Alternatives to Discount Real Estate Brokers in St. Louis
Here are some options if you do not want to opt for a discount Realtor in St. Louis.
- Flat Fee MLS Companies: Flat Fee MLS St. Louis companies list your property on your local MLS for a flat fee of a few hundred dollars. You can save on commissions and also take advantage of their technology for a faster sale.
- List With a Full-Service Realtor: If you need hand-holding, we recommend you hire a full-service in-person Realtor. You’ll get all the professional help you need, but you will end up paying a full 5% to 6% commission.
- Sell to an iBuyer: Many iBuyers, like Opendoor and Offerpad, purchase hundreds of homes in St. Louis markets. iBuyers can be a great option if you’re wondering how to sell my house fast in Missouri.
- Sell to Cash Home Buyers: Individual cash home buyers and companies that buy houses for cash in St. Louis make all-cash offers, usually within 24 to 48 hours. Cash buyers let you skip the hassle of listing on the MLS, inspection, appraisal, etc.
- Sell For Sale By Owner: For Sale By Owner websites will help you list and sell a house by owner in St. Louis and save thousands in listing agent commission. Many FSBO websites will also get you listed on the MLS and help you with FSBO paperwork.
» Best FSBO Sites in Missouri: We’ve researched and reviewed all the best For Sale By Owner sites. See our rankings!
Here’s how much you can save with Houzeo.com!
Are Discount Brokers Worth It?
YES! There are various advantages to using a discount real estate broker. Using a cheap brokerage can save you a lot of money. The commission savings can be significant.
There are several discounted real estate brokers on the market today, each with its own set of advantages. Examine factors such as listing fees, listing time, services provided, customer service, and coverage before you choose one.
With Houzeo, you can get your home on the MLS for a small flat fee. You get access to cutting-edge tools like offers dashboard, showings management, and many more to make your selling journey easy.
» List My House on MLS in Missouri: The fastest way to get on the MLS!
Eager to Know How Houzeo Works?
We’ve got you covered. Check out the following video to understand how Houzeo works and why it is one of the best For Sale By Owner websites in the U.S.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
» NEED MORE CLARITY? Read these exclusive Houzeo reviews and learn why the platform is the best in America’s competitive housing market.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is St. Louis a buyers' or sellers' market?
St. Louis is a seller's market as there are more buyers in the housing market than sellers.
Is St. Louis a good place to invest?
Yes. Buying a house in St. Louis for investment purposes can result in a healthy return owing to the increase in jobs and population in the city.
How much are closing costs in St. Louis for buyer?
Typically, buyers pay 2%-5% of the purchase price of the home as closing costs in St. Louis.
Related: realtor discounts in st. louis, mo, discount brokerage real estate in st. louis, mo, discount brokers online in st. louis, mo, discount real estate in st. louis, mo, discount realtor near me in st. louis, mo, best discount real estate brokers in st. louis, mo, discount broker real estate in st. louis, mo, brokers with lowest fees in st. louis, mo, cheap real estate brokers in st. louis, mo, compare discount brokers in st. louis, mo, discount brokerage companies in st. louis, mo, discount real estate commission in st. louis, mo, discount real estate listing in st. louis