» Jump to: Rankings | Reviews | Discount Real Estate Brokers to Avoid in Portland, Oregon | Everything to know about Discount Real Estate Brokers | Ways to get Discounted Realtor Fees | Choosing a Discount Brokerage | Alternatives | Final Word | FAQs
In June 2022, as compared to last year, the number of houses sold in Portland, Oregon fell by 17.3%. In this difficult market, finding the right agent that sells your house at the best possible price is the key. So, in this blog we bring you the top discount real estate brokers in Portland, Oregon.
Rankings: Best Discount Real Estate Companies & Brokers in Portland, Oregon
|Rank||Discount Real Estate Broker / Company||Listing Fee||Additional Charges||Max Savings||100% Online||Mobile App|
|2.||Portland Creative Realtors||1.5%|
|3.||Change Realty||1% |
|5.||Ideal Agent||1% |
Reviews: Best Discount Real Estate Brokers & Companies in Portland, Oregon
🔥 BEST OVERALL
Why Houzeo is #1: Houzeo is an online tech company that offers real estate solutions. It provides an unbeatable combination of maximum savings, cutting-edge technology, and 5-star customer support.
Houzeo for Homesellers
- Affordable Flat Fee: Houzeo’s plans are typically a small flat fee. This will save you thousands. If your buyer is unrepresented, you also save the buyer agent commission.
- Listings on MLS: Listings get syndicated to the MLS, Zillow, Realtor.com, Redfin, Trulia, and hundreds of other websites. Houzeo also has nifty social media sharing tools. No other platform gives you this much exposure.
- Fully Virtual Service: Houzeo is 100% online. Listing is easy and changes are fast. So you can focus on what is most important – your sale.
Houzeo for Homebuyers
- Access to Listings without Agents: Houzeo lets buyers get access to all the nearby listings on MLS without working with an agent.
- Closing Costs Calculator: Houzeo’s unique Closing Costs Calculator lets buyers get an accurate final cost at the end of the buying process.
👉 Our Take: Houzeo.com is our top pick because it delivers an unbeatable combination of savings, tech features, and service of any flat fee MLS listing service website we’ve reviewed.
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish the listing formalities in less than 60 mins.
- Near Nationwide Coverage: Houzeo covers 47 states + DC.
- No Listing Agent Commission: With Houzeo, you only pay a small flat fee to get access to the MLS and all the Houzeo tech
- 100% online: Easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers
- Max Exposure: Listings get syndicated to Zillow, Realtor.com, Trulia, Redfin, and 100s of other real estate sites
- Fast Listing: Rush listing option gets you listed within a business day with Houzeo Concierge. This is best to sell your house fast.
- Real Estate On the Go: Houzeo Mobile App mimics most functionality of the Houzeo web platform, including Offers and Showings
- 5-Star Customer Service: Superb support that minimizes Houzeo complaints
- No Hidden Fees: There are no Houzeo hidden fees
» Is Houzeo Legit: Learn more about Houzeo.com’s locations and services
Houzeo has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 on Google & Trustpilot.
Houzeo is available nationwide.
2. Portland Creative Realtors
🌟 Local Favorite
Portland Creative Realtors
Why Portland Creative Realtors are #2?
First established in 2004, is a local family-run full-service discount real estate brokerage in Portland, Oregon. Their low commission model and unique approach to real estate makes stand out as a real estate brokerage
Portland Creative Realtors for Homesellers
- Low Commissions: Portland Creative Realtors charge a commission of 1.5% for listing your property. This is half of what realtors generally charge nationwide.
- Exposure: Portland Creative Realtors list properties on MLS, Trulia, Zillow, Redfin, Realtors.com, along with marketing them on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.
- Additional Flat Fee Services: Although Portland Creative Realtors are not a Flat Fee MLS company, they do offer flexible flat fee options for sellers wanting to go the For Sale By Owner way.
Portland Creative Realtors for Homebuyers
- Commission Split: Portland Creative Realtors offer part of their commissions to homebuyers. This will range anywhere between 2.5% to 3% of the final selling price.
- Free Neighborhood Tours: Portland Creative Realtors have been offering free neighborhood tours to buyers since 2004. Being native to Portland, the group can provide valuable insights with these tours which would otherwise be hard to avail.
👉 Our Take: With low commissions, high exposure, neighborhood tours, and great customer reviews, Portland Creative Realtors are one of the best options if you are looking to sell in Portland, Oregon.
» Selling a House in Oregon: Find out all that you need to know about selling a house in Oregon.
- Low Commissions
- High Exposure
- Additional Flat Fee Services
- Free Neighborhood Tours
- Free Home Valuation and Mortgage Calculator tools
Portland Creative Realtors have a rating of 4.9 out of 5 on Google.
Portland Creative Realtors offers their services in all of Portland, Oregon.
3. Change Realty
🌳 LOCAL EXPERTS
Why Change Realty is #3?
Change Realty is a full service discount real estate brokerage that has been serving Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA metro regions since the last 14 years.
Change Realty for Homesellers
- Low Commissions: Change Realty charges a commission of 1% on the selling price. This is significantly less than the national average of 3%.
- Full Service: Working with Change Realty you as a homeseller will also avail additional services, such as professional photography, multiple listing services , and custom video tour.
Change Realty for Homebuyers
- Commission Split: Change Realty splits its commissions with homebuyers. You can get anywhere from 2.5% to 3% of the selling price.
- Local Expertise: With years of experience in the Portland metro area, the brokerage can guide you to make the best of deals in the locality in a way that a national brokerage would not.
👉 Our Take: What makes Change Realty stand out is its low commission rates and local expertise, though more services and better customer feedback for buyers would make the brokerage rank higher on our list.
» How to Sell a House by Owner in Oregon: Click here to find all about selling your house in Oregon.
- Low Commissions
- High Exposure
- Full Service
- Average Marketing
- No information on their Teck Stack
Change Realty has a rating of 3.7 out of 5 on Google.
Change Realty offer their services primarily in Portland Metro and Vancouver, WA regions.
📱 GOOD TECHNOLOGY
Redfin is one of the biggest real estate companies in the country, known primarily for its technological features, which are far better than a lot of national discount brokerages, and their low commission rates.
Redfin for Homesellers
- Low Commissions: As a seller, you will have to pay a listing commission of merely 1.5%. This is lower than the general rate of commission in the market and therefore would make for considerable savings in your final profits.
- Online Tools: Redfin provides online tools that surpass most discount real estate companies. Its easy-to-use mobile app and 3D walkthrough feature are a step forward in the world of real estate.
- Digital Marketing: Redfin also excels at marketing homes for sellers online. It spreads the word on your home by partaking in email campaigns, social media ads, and premium placements, ensuring a speedy sale.
Redfin for Homebuyers
- Buyer Rebates: As a homebuyer you will avail yourself rebates on commissions that get contributed to clearing your closing costs, ensuring substantial savings.
- Speedy Notifications: Redfin’s mobile app lets homebuyers get quick updates on the most recent listings nearby. It claims to provide notifications on these listings in as little as 10 minutes of the property going online.
- Redfin Recommendations: Redfin makes the process of buying simpler by recommending required stakeholders such as money lenders and home inspectors. This makes the process streamlined and hassle-free.
👉Our Take: Redfin is a good option if you are looking for nationwide discount real estate companies with ease of accessibility. Although it does provide lower commissions, they are still higher than other low-cost real estate brokers, something that should be taken noted. Their agents also have the added pressure of handling multiple clients at a given time (partly due to their low commissions model), thus making their approach less personalized.
» Redfin Review: Click here to find all you need to know about Redfin.
- A tech-first company
- Good user interface
- Detailed paperwork
- Range of services for all types of properties
- Full-service brokerage
- Average customer service
Redfin has a rating of 4 out of 5 on Yelp.
Redfin covers 80+ Markets in the country.
5. Ideal Agent
👨💼 QUALITY AGENTS
Ideal Agent is an agent-matching service that helps sellers to match with a local agent based on their location. They have taken great efforts to provide service that would otherwise cost 6% commission.
Ideal Agent for Homesellers
- Low Commissions: Ideal Agent charges a commission of 2%. Although this is not as low as some of our other recommendations, it still is lower than the general rate of 3% nationwide.
- Top Agents: Ideal Agent has built a reputation of working with only the top 1% of agents. So, it is likely you would be working with a great agent if you work with Ideal Agent.
Ideal Agent for Homebuyers
- Home Search Feature: Ideal Agent has a home search feature, where home buyers can look for homes by location, home type, and price range.
👉 Our Take: Although Ideal Agent has low commissions and great recruitment process for their agents, the company can employ greater efforts for making the experience of homebuyers better.
» Ideal Agent Reviews: Click here to know everything you need to know about Ideal Agent and its services.
- Qualified agents
- No obligation to choose an agent
- Add-on services like professional photos and more
- Good customer service
- Minimal savings
- Single-agent match
- Inconsistent agent results
- No customer dashboard
- No buyer savings
Ideal agent has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 on Trustpilot.
Ideal Agent is available throughout the U.S.
Here’s a quick recap of the best discount real estate brokers in America:
America’s Best Discount Real Estate Brokers (2023)
We’ve reviewed the best discount real estate brokers in 2023
Discount Real Estate Brokers to Avoid in Portland, Oregon
Some agent-matching websites advertise themselves as “free”, but in reality they keep a portion of the commission received by the discount real estate brokers. Since you pay the commission, this amount technically goes from your pocket.
For example, List With Clever promotes itself as a real estate educational website that matches sellers with discount realtors. Even though Clever claims to be “free”, 25% to 40% of the commission you pay will be directed to Clever as a “Referral Fee”.
» Clever Real Estate: Read our full review of Clever Real Estate
Everything You Should Know About Selling with Discount Real Estate Brokers in Portland, Oregon
What are Discount/ Low Commission Real Estate Brokers & Companies?
Discount real estate brokers or low commission real estate brokers are top real estate agents in Portland, Oregon that provide specific services for a discounted fee. Instead of charging the seller standard agent commission of 3% (listing agent commission), low-cost Portland realtors will work for less (such as a 1%-2% commission or a pre-defined flat fee) and provide restricted services. The reduced fee can easily save sellers a good amount of money.
Discount real estate realtors in Portland, Oregon typically offer the same services as full-service brokers. The key difference is in pricing.
Types of Discount Real Estate Brokers in Portland, Oregon
There are four types of low-commission real estate agents:
1. Flat Fee MLS Brokers
A flat fee MLS listing company or service is nothing but a registered real estate agent with a low commission or discounted broker/that lists your home on the MLS for an upfront flat fee.
The seller and the broker agree on a la carte services, and the broker takes a flat fee instead of a percentage of the home’s sale price. Say you want to sell a $500,000 home. A traditional agent will charge you between 2% and 3% of the sale price. That’s 15 grand!
With a flat-fee MLS Listing in Portland, Oregon you’ll pay an average of $300, which includes listing and marketing. Even if you choose to add services like pricing and buyer negotiations, you will still save money.
Want Traditional Realtor’s Service With Minimal Interaction?
👉 Houzeo makes it possible!
Houzeo makes deals with top-rated, local agents across the country to get them to give you lower prices on Houzeo’s cutting-edge technology and 100% online platform. Houzeo’s tech-centric broker partners charge just the upfront flat-fee, and no commission for all DIY plans.
2. Virtual Full-Service Agents
Think of everything a traditional agent does, from listing your property, marketing it, pricing it, negotiating with buyers, and closing it.
An online discount broker- full service does all that – online. Because of their cloud-based presence, they have many advantages such as lesser fees, discounted commissions, and much better management and marketing support. Many MLS listing companies like Houzeo, also provide full-service options that are 100% online.
- ✍️ SAVE: A virtual full service company will not provide any in-person agent support, meaning, you will have to take over most of the groundwork. It may not be the best option for a first time seller. .
3. Flat Rate Low Commission
You can choose a low commission (flat-rate) agent in some markets. For a flat fee of $3,000 to $6,000, the agent will sell your home. The flat rate is usually based on how much the house is worth and how well the agent does their job. In this case, there is no percentage listing fee. Everything has a fixed price. Homie is one of the best examples of a real estate broker with a flat rate listing of $3500 and a low commission rate. Since Homie doesn’t offer as many services as a full-service real estate agent, it can easily make up for the lower prices it charges.
Think about the following situation: The price on the list is $450,000. With a flat-rate model, the agent’s commission fee stays the same no matter what happens, even if you agree to sell your home for less money. This is because it is a flat rate that doesn’t depend on how much the house is sold.
Before you hire a real estate agent in Portland, OR you should find out what kind of service you can expect from the company. Make sure you’ve read the contract all the way through before you sign it. Some services, like consultation, professional photography, yard signs, and other marketing materials might be included in the flat fee, but this is not guaranteed.
So, if you don’t include them in your budget, you may have to pay a lot of money out of your own pocket. Any contract with a flat-fee agent needs to be read carefully, especially the small print. Also, keep in mind that even if you use a flat-rate agent, you will still have to pay the buyer’s agent fees, which will be between 2.5 and 3 percent.
4. Discounted Commission Full-Service Real Estate Agents
Full-service discount brokers offer many of the same services as traditional realtors for a low listing fee or flat rate, but they don’t charge as much. When a house is sold, they give the seller money back in the form of a discount on their commissions.
For example, if a full-service discount broker charges 1.5 percent of the sale price instead of the standard 2.5 percent of the sale price on a $450,000 house, you will save $4,500 in commissions. There are many discount real estate brokers, but they are not all the same.
Some have a lot more value and a lot less risk than others. But in most businesses, you have to take what you can get. All of these things could happen if there aren’t many services, if there’s less support, if agents don’t have much experience, and if there’s not much to choose from.
👍 BETTER IN ALL – AGENTS, SERVICES & SAVINGS!
Why pay a higher commission for a lower service? With Houzeo you can get better services at an affordable price!!
- 👩💼Qualified and Reputed Agents
- 💰You list your home at a very reasonable price within 24 hours
- 📣 Listings get syndicated to Zillow, Realtor.com, Trulia, Redfin, and 100s of other sites
- ⭐ 5-Star Customer Support
- ❌ You can cancel anytime with no obligation
4 More Ways To Get Discounted Realtor Fees
Are you a good negotiator? In fact, commissions in the real estate industry can be negotiated. Even if the company is a flat-rate discounter, you can always ask for a few minor tweaks. You can lower the amount you pay by a wide range of factors, including the location of your property, its condition, and the brokerage.
Houzeo, a low-cost real estate company, can save you tens of thousands of dollars in commissions while still providing excellent service. If you want to lower your commission, keep reading to learn how:
Average Area Commission
Know your leverage before negotiating. For example, the real estate commission in Portland, Oregon is 4.50%, which is slightly lower than the national average. Lowering your overall commission might not be possible. Once you know your reference point, negotiations can get a lot more reasonable.
Buying and Selling With the same Discount Brokerage
Using the same discount brokerage or company to buy and sell has its own set of advantages. It makes you more likely to be repeat customers, giving you more chances to get refunds and cheaper commissions. For example, Landfall Properties, an MLS listing company, offers a rebate that can only be applied to your next purchase with the same company.
Pick the right type of Discount Broker
For example, picking a flat rate discount broker may not be the best option if your house is priced on the lower end. You will wind up losing more, instead, for maximum savings, you can pick a flat fee MLS company.
Buyer Agent Fees
Almost all buyers work with an agent. For maximum savings, offer a competitive buyer agent commission. Once you cut out the risk factor of selling the house, your listing agent will be more comfortable with lowering their fee. This can further lower seller closing costs.
» Seller Closing Costs In Oregon: Use this free tool by Houzeo to get an estimate of your closing costs!
How to choose a Low commission/ Discount Real Estate Broker, Brokerage, or Company?
To find discount real estate brokers in Portland, Oregon look for a low-commission brand. Check for services and top companies. You will be assigned a low-commission real estate agent based on brokerage policies. As a seller, you can choose the right broker. Then you can use the chosen broker.
Alternatives to Discount/Low Commission Real Estate Agents
A traditional agent assists you in buying, selling, renting, and all other aspects of real estate. A listing agent and a buyer agent are two types of traditional agents. Agents operate for brokerages and companies or under the supervision of a qualified broker.
Let’s get down to business with their commissions. The average overall commission fee for selling a home is 5%. This is deducted from the seller’s proceeds and shared between the listing and buyer agents. The commission rate changes on a regular basis and is determined by the location of your property.
The listing agent assists the seller in the sale and marketing of their home. The buyer’s agent, on the other hand, brings in clients who buy the house. They each get 2.5 percent after closing for a total of 5%.
» Best Flat Fee MLS Portland, OR, Listing Services: Top 5!
An instant buyer, often known as an iBuyer, is a corporation that buys houses for sale for a cash offer. Unlike the usual way, the major goal is to sell it swiftly and efficiently. They employ cutting-edge technology and provide you with complete closing flexibility.
They make reasonable offers, although with a large service cost. Most iBuyers charge additional closing fees, which can easily push your commissions up to 12%! For example, Redfin Now charges up to 13% in service fees, 3% in maintenance fees, and 1% closing costs in Portland, Oregon, which can potentially total up to a staggering 17%!
iBuyers have their own set of rules, with costs that aren’t necessarily in line with market norms. It is always better to pick a discount real estate broker instead and save thousands of dollars!
» iBuyers Opendoor Reviews: Selling your home for cash in 2022!
For Sale By Owner
As the term indicates, a for sale by owner property is one that is sold by the owner without the assistance of a listing agent or real estate broker. It’s the most cost-effective approach to avoid commissions and selling your house quickly. FSBO is ideal for sellers with some experience with the selling process and marketing. The best way to FSBO is to list on the Multiple Listing Service. Their large database allows them to market your home to agents all throughout the country, allowing it to sell faster and with the most exposure possible.
» For sale by owner websites: Best of 2022!
Why Choose a Discount Real Estate Broker Over a Traditional Agent?
The simple answer is that whether you are buying or selling, working with a discount or low commission realtor will help you lower the closing cost. Let’s look at an example.
Say, a property costs $500,000. Through traditional real estate commissions in the US, the seller is required to pay 5% – 6% in commissions. This means that as a seller, you can incur closing costs anywhere between $25,000 – $30,000, which is a considerable sum. To minimize this expense, you can try selling a house through discount realtors in Portland, Oregon.
|Traditional Agent |
Approaching a discount realty in Portland, OR, can also be beneficial for you if you are a buyer. Since the seller has to pay a lower sum in commission, they may reduce the overall price of the house, making the property that much inexpensive to buy for you.
» Buyer Closing Costs In Oregon: Use this free tool by Houzeo to get an estimate of your closing costs!
Houzeo Helps You Save Thousands
|Package||Price||What You Get|
|SILVER||$349||Plus $395 at closing. 6-month listing, 24 photographs, syndication to popular real estate websites, and a few more additional services.|
|GOLD||$549||Plus $395 at closing. 6-month listing, Maximum number of photos, syndication to popular real estate websites, and a few more additional services.|
|PLATINUM||$599||Plus $395 at closing. Virtual Full-Service that includes everything you require to sell the property with unlimited term and changes!|
Here’s how much you can save with Houzeo.com!
Let’s Find Out How Houzeo Works
Real estate bargain brokers fall midway between a for-sale-by-owner and a full-service agency. With MLS listing packages starting at $349 and cutting-edge technology that allows you to manage your property, review offers, counter, and manage showings online and via their mobile app, Houzeo delivers the best of both worlds.
Check out the following video to understand: What is Houzeo? How does it work? And, why it is the best FSBO & Flat Fee MLS platform out there?
There are a number of low-cost discount real estate brokers in the market today that provide unique features at great value. For a seller, it is recommended to check on pointers like listing fees, listing time, services offered, customer service, coverage, and technology to select a particular broker.
While there is close competition between the umpteen Portland, Oregon discount realtors, Houzeo comes out to be a clear winner. With Houzeo, you get almost everything you require to sell your property. Not only sellers, but Houzeo also helps buyers with a lot of add-on features.
Moreover, Houzeo is 100% online and automated to cater to various seller needs. Additionally, the platform is one of the leading Flat-Fee MLS providers that has changed the way FSBO works in the real estate industry.
» How To Sell My House Fast Portland, OR: All You Can Do!
Frequently Asked Questions
How is the housing market in Portland, Oregon?
The housing market in Portland, OR is somewhat competitive at the moment, though the prices of home have risen by 7.6% in comparison to last year, making it potentially lucrative for home sellers.
How to change real estate agents in Portland, Oregon?
If you haven't signed a broker agreement yet, verbally communicating to your agent would be the first step to change your agent. If you have signed an agreement though, make sure to read carefully through the clause regarding termination.
Who pays the escrow fees in Oregon?
Escrow fees are generally split between sellers and buyers in the state of Oregon.
Related: mls portland oregon, top realtors in portland oregon, best real estate agents portland oregon, best realtors in portland oregon, realtors in portland oregon, discount real estate listing, realtors portland, fsbo portland oregon, realtor portland, realtor portland or, top real estate agents in portland oregon, portland oregon real estate agent, portland oregon realtor, new listings portland or, multiple listing service portland oregon, mls listings portland oregon, discount realty companies, discount real estate companies, discount real estate listing, top portland real estate agents, apartment brokers portland oregon, best real estate agents portland, discount real estate brokers near me, what is homelightUncategorized