As a seller in West Virginia, you may have several questions and doubts in your journey on how to sell a house in West Virginia. There are many factors involved from the moment you engage with a buyer until the closing process. Questions such as how does for sale by owner work in West Virginia or whether opting for a real estate agent would be better? creates distress and confusion among sellers.
Once these issues are tackled then you find yourself in a sea of legal paperwork. Seller Disclosure West Virginia documents are one of the legal documents in your journey of selling. They are complex and may also seem daunting. Worry not, we are here to guide you through real estate disclosure laws in West Virginia.
What are Seller Disclosures?
The Seller Disclosure form is a standard checklist form containing material defects and features of the property. It specifically provides information about the property that may negatively affect the value of the house.
If there are material defects in a property that may impact the value of the property and the seller is aware of them, then the seller must disclose them. However, sellers should report these defects to the best of their knowledge and understanding.
The aim of Seller Disclosure is to maintain transparency in the real – estate transaction to keep the buyer aware of any defects present in the house.
Importance of Seller Disclosures
Seller’s disclosures serve the following purpose in real estate transactions:
|🔎||Give Complete Information About The Property||Disclosures help communicate the defects present on the property. They ensure that all the stakeholders involved in the transaction are well aware of the property's history.|
|⚖️||Protects Sellers Against Legal Liabilities||Once you disclose all the known defects present in the house or which come to light during the inspection, you may be exempted from any future liability against those defects.|
|👍||Develops Credibility||Honesty, accuracy and transparency are of utmost importance when selling your house. Disclosures are a way of achieving all of these and thereby enhancing your credibility.|
West Virginia Seller Disclosure Law
The sellers in West Virginia are bound by specific federal and state laws in relation to the sale of their property. Set out below are a few pointers revolving around West Virginia seller disclosure laws.
Statute on Seller Disclosure West Virginia
In West Virginia, sellers are not required by law to provide disclosures to prospective buyers. Although not mandated by law, it is always advisable to fill out a Property Disclosure Statement. The real estate agents of West Virginia have the professional duty to be truthful to the prospective buyer. If they are caught misrepresenting such as concealing material defects in a property then they can be held liable.
Disclosure of Material Defects
Apart from stating various characteristics and important aspects of the property and structure, the seller must disclose the latent material defects of the house to the prospective buyer. The seller is required to deliver the Disclosure Statement to the buyer prior to the contractual binding between the Parties.
- ✍️ Editor’s Note: Latent material defects are the ones which are not apparent or visibly recognizable defects, but they significantly affect the value of the property. Generally, these defects pose a threat to the safety or health of the occupants.
» Also Read: Foreclosure in West Virginia– Read our blog to know how to stop foreclosures in West Virginia.
Lead-Based Paint Disclosure West Virginia
Additionally, as mandated under Federal Law, the sellers must disclose if their property (if built prior to 1978) has been coated by lead-based paints. The Lead-based paint disclosure form for the seller should be filled out by the seller.
🤔 Too Many Disclosures Giving You A Headache?
Worry not! Houzeo’s cutting edge technology automatically provides you with the necessary disclosures, curated to match your property and location.
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
Also Read: Companies that buy houses for cash in West Virginia– Find out the 9 Best Companies that Buy Houses for Cash in West Virginia.
Most Common Mistakes By FSBO Home Sellers in Disclosures
The main object of disclosures in any area is to give clarity and perspective to a buyer. Buyers who are looking for a home usually have certain criteria in mind before searching for a home. A seller disclosure acts as a bridge to close these doubts, giving buyers a reason to have faith in you and your deal.
- One of the biggest mistakes a seller can make is not giving disclosures at all. The lack of trust between a buyer and seller can demotivate a buyer from considering your property altogether. Hence, it is suggested that sellers complete all disclosure formalities as soon as possible, even though it may not be legally required in your state.
- Likewise, sellers also get an option to mark a point as ‘unknown’ in disclosures. This gives you ample opportunity to be honest in your disclosures. Also, marking a certain disclosure clause as ‘unknown’ shifts the burden on a buyer to inspect that particular problem. Hence, don’t make the mistake of lying on your disclosures, as that would count as fraudulent misrepresentation and attract a lawsuit.
- Most state laws prescribe that the disclosures should be provided before closing. As an FSBO seller, it is your duty to provide disclosures as soon as possible, since you do not have a real estate agent to do these things for you.
- ✍️ Pro Tip: Sellers who are selling their house the FSBO way are advised to keep their Disclosure Statement ready before listing on the MLS. It increases your credibility and reliability from a buyer’s perspective, as they get an idea of the property’s condition early on.
» Also Read: Best Real Estate Websites in West Virginia– Find out the best real estate websites in West Virginia.
Tips to Minimize Issues in West Virginia Disclosure Documents
|Review And Verify||There’s a time allowance (some permit 10 days) to review and verify everything about your Purchase and Sales Agreement—also the square footage, home usage, and marketing.|
|Ask Questions||Ask questions when in doubt. This would help you in avoiding future troubles.|
|Hire A Professional Inspector||A professional inspector can help you gather backup information about the property’s condition. You can also opt for a pre-inspection before listing.|
» More: West Virginia Home Inspections – Read everything you need to know about home inspection in West Virginia.
|Disclose Everything||To avoid problems in your home disclosure statement disclose everything you know honestly. Even though it’s a minor issue, you must disclose it.|
|Get A Licensed Agent Involved||The best way to avoid disclosure issues is to get a licensed real estate agent. Agents can help you manage and assist you in the process along the way.|
Also Read: Average Cost of Home Inspection in West Virginia– Read to know the average cost of home inspection in West Virginia.
- ✍️ Pro Tip: List Your Property With Houzeo
One of the best ways to minimize problems in your seller’s disclosure is to Purchase the “Contract to Close Upgrade Package”. A Licensed broker will review your paperwork to make sure it is appropriate. In addition, you should also have the settlement agent review the paperwork so you cover all bases.
» More: Start your FREE listing NOW!
Final Word: Complexity of Seller’s Disclosure in West Virginia
|Level of Complexity||Average|
|Is West Virginia a Caveat Emptor State?||Yes|
|Is West Virginia a Non-Disclosure State?||No|
Disclosure laws in West Virginia follow the rule of ‘caveat emptor,’ i.e. let the buyer beware. Thus, it is a buyer’s duty in West Virginia to act with due diligence while buying a home, as the seller is not made legally liable to make certain disclosure
West Virginia Seller’s Disclosures Statements are a little complicated. Selling your house FSBO is usually good, but then you would have to deal with all the disclosures on your own. This demands that you be aware of all the disclosure requirements and that any mistake can cost you dearly. Houzeo can help you with this.
- ✍️ Editor’s Note: Though selling your home yourself on a For Sale By Owner website can save you thousands in commission, we highly recommend you add a Flat Fee MLS listing to your marketing strategy. Check out the best West Virginia MLS Listing.
» More: Flat Fee West Virginia
By listing your property with Houzeo, you get access to all forms in electronic format. And that too, for FREE! Houzeo has segregated all the disclosures state-wise so that you don’t have to hunt for West Virginia seller disclosures separately.
Check out some of the Houzeo Offers and how it has helped customers around the US.
*Seller disclosures are primarily the responsibility of a home seller. Regardless of the service, you engage in, you are required to ensure seller disclosures provided by you are complete and accurate to your best knowledge. Houzeo is not a brokerage or a licensed agent. It is a tech platform, and the tips presented here should not be construed as advice for which a real estate or attorney license is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are seller's disclosures required in West Virginia?
No, West Virginia law does not mandate sellers to make disclosures to the prospective buyer.
Do sellers have to disclose if the house was a site of death or suicide ?
No, sellers are not required by law to make disclosures pertaining to the occurrence of prior death or suicide in the house.
What happens if the real estate agents misrepresents while making disclosures?
The agent can be held liable and his/her license may also be revoked.
- Average Closing Costs West Virginia – Let’s look at how much are closing costs in West Virginia.
- Average Closing Costs in West Virginia for Seller – Find out how much is seller’s closing costs in West Virginia.
- Who Normally Pays Closing Costs in West Virginia? – Buyer or Seller? Know who generally pays the closing cost in West Virginia.
- West Virginia Closing Cost Calculator for Seller – Here’s Houzeo’s closing cost calculator for the seller.
- Foreclosure defense attorney – Read everything you need to know about foreclosures.
- West Virginia Real Estate Company – Houzeo’s detailed guide to top 10 real estate companies in West Virginia.
For TX Home Sellers:
- Staging your home to sell – Read our blog to know helpful tricks to make your house attractive to buyers.
- Central West Virginia home staging – Find out the best home staging companies in West Virginia.
- Sell house fast West Virginia: Find out ways to sell your house fast – in weeks or even in days!
- Can you sell a house as is in West Virginia– Here’s Houzeo’s guide to selling your house as-is in West Virginia.
- Selling inherited house West Virginia: Find out the detailed points to consider while selling your West Virginia inherited house.
- Best time of year to sell a house in West Virginia: Find out the most favorable time of the year to sell your house.
- FSBO Site – Discover 12 Best For Sale By Owner Websites.
- West Virginia for Sale by Owner – Buyers find out which houses are for sale in West Virginia.
- Real Estate Housing Market: The housing market refers to properties bought and sold directly to buyers or through real estate brokers.
For TX Home Buyers:
- Closing Cost for Buyer in West Virginia– Read to know your buyer’s closing costs obligations in West Virginia.
- Closing Costs in West Virginia for Buyer Calculator – Here’s Houzeo’s closing cost calculator for the buyer.
Related keywords: seller disclosure form west virginia, west virginia real estate seller disclosure form, seller lied on disclosure form west virginia, west virginia seller disclosue laws, west virginia real esate property disclosure, seller disclosure west virginia, seller’s disclosure west virginia, seller disclosure laws west virginia, west virginia seller’s disclosure form, houszeo, housezo, hozeo, houzzeo, cash for houses, real estate photography vw, real estate photographers in west virginia, cash offers west virginia, how much does an appraisal cost in west virginia, average commission for real estate agent in west virginia, house market west virginia, west virginia discount real estate brokers, realtors with low commission, list of real estate agents in West Virginia, West Virgina Home Inspector,Uncategorized