Wholesale real estate in South Dakota is a short-term strategy useful for real estate investors. In it, a person signs a contract for a property with its owner and finds a buyer to assign the same contract.
Real estate wholesaling is profitable if you learn to do it efficiently.
What is Wholesale Real Estate?
In wholesale real estate, motivated sellers sell distressed to interested buyers. The property is not repaired by the wholesaler at any time during the entire process.
The wholesaler signs a contract with the seller and finds an end buyer to assign the contract. The wholesale real estate contract is a crucial part of the entire transaction.
The wholesaler handles the contract of the house till the time they find an end buyer. Once the wholesaler has found the right buyer, they either assign the contract or double close.
In the end, the wholesaler earns a fee for acting as the middleman for the seller and buyer.
Pros and Cons
Experienced wholesalers can manage wholesale real estate deals, but beginners may struggle. There are advantages and disadvantages to choosing wholesale real estate.
✅ Pros of Wholesaling Real Estate
- Chance to Learn: Use wholesaling as the chance to learn real estate investment. There are lesser risks, efforts, and time required to complete a wholesale deal.
- Invest Less Money: Sign a wholesale real estate contract with a home seller without spending a penny. Wholesaler spends no money fixing and selling a house.
- Earn Profits: Find a buyer to charge the assigning fee which is typically between 5-10% of the selling price. If the wholesaler chooses to double close, they can profit while buying a cheap house and re-selling it.
» Buy a House South Dakota: Read our blog to know how to buy a house in South Dakota.
❌ Cons of Wholesaling Real Estate
- Time is Crucial: Find a buyer quickly to end the transaction fast. The wholesale real estate contract includes a closing date by which the wholesaler has to close the deal.
- Choosing the Right Property: A piece of land in a remote location will not attract investor buyers. The deal can backfire if the wholesaler does not choose a property in the right location.
- Finalizing the Right Buyer: Buyers are essentially investors looking to buy properties. Selecting the right buyer can be tough if they show interest in various types of properties.
Is Wholesaling Real Estate Legal in South Dakota?
Yes, wholesaling real estate is legal in the US. But, a wholesaler must follow state-specific laws to carry out the deal in their respective state.
Only licensed real estate agents can help people sell or buy properties in the US. Unlicensed individuals cannot represent a seller or a buyer during the transaction nor can they list the home on the MLS.
A wholesaler does not violate any law as long as they work with a wholesale real estate contract or own the property for a short term.
Is Wholesaling Real Estate Profitable in South Dakota?
Yes, wholesaling is profitable.
The slowing housing market does not influence wholesale deals a lot. Wholesalers can work any time of the year as long as there are motivated sellers and buyers to work. Maximize your benefits by keeping these points in mind:
1. Aim for Profit
Only the best deal can get you profit. A seller facing foreclosure will negotiate a deal in their favor.
It’s vital to have a clear idea when signing the contract with the seller. Ensure you have enough time to plan and complete the transaction.
» Foreclosure in South Dakota: Everything you need to know about stopping foreclosure in South Dakota.
2. Inspect Property Thoroughly
Inspect the house for damages and any other structural issues. Hire a South Dakota home inspector if needed.
The cost of repairs and the expense of hiring people to fix the damages will influence your negotiation with the end buyer.
Ensure all the information is well-compiled when you present the contract to the buyer.
3. Be Honest
Explain the process, the risks involved, and the intentions behind the transaction. Transparency is also important in a successful real estate wholesale business.
It can help you maintain a long-term relationship with your clients.
4. Plan for the Future
A well-defined exit strategy shows how an investor intends to exit and make a profit. Assigning contracts to end-users for a fee is a common strategy.
Wholesalers should build and maintain their wholesale buyer list to be effective. The more buyers you have on your list, the more likely you are to sell a property.
» Sell My House South Dakota: Everything you need to know about selling a house in the state.
Different Ways to Wholesale Real Estate in South Dakota
Virtual Wholesale Real Estate
Find prospective clients online and leverage tools like the internet, emails, and social media to do the entire process online. Gather relevant market data from sources like Redfin, Zillow, and RealTrends to create your plan.
Virtual wholesaling allows real estate investors to work from anywhere without any restrictions.
» Virtual Wholesale Real Estate: Learn how to wholesale real estate online with technology.
Commercial Wholesale Real Estate
Earn great profits by working with buyers looking to buy retail spaces, residential buildings, warehouses, and shopping centers. Commercial wholesaling is a way to meet business owners and find potential clients for your next wholesale deal.
You can attend real estate investment meetings or seminars to identify sellers and buyers for commercial wholesaling.
» Commercial Wholesale Real Estate: Click to know how to start commercial wholesaling.
Difference Between Real Estate Wholesaling vs Flipping
📝 Wholesaling Real Estate
- Ownership is not Compulsory: The wholesaler need not own the house to find an end buyer. But, in case of a double close, the property is purchased by the wholesaler.
- Fewer Expenses on Repairs: House flippers buy a house to fix and re-sell it. But, wholesalers do not have to spend on fixes to find a buyer for the home.
- Limited Risks: Very little money is used in the wholesale transaction, so a wholesaler can relax and not worry about major risks.
🏚️ Flipping Houses
- Buy and Own the Property: A home flipper has to buy and own a property to fix and flip it to the next seller.
- Inspect and Repair: Fix damages identified during the home inspection to improve its aesthetic image.
- High Risks: If the house flipper does not sell the house fast, the expenses may increase, resulting in a loss.
» Flipping Houses in South Dakota: House flipping in South Dakota is popular amongst investors. Click to know why!
How to Wholesale Real Estate Step by Step in South Dakota?
Learn the basics of house wholesaling, and meet the relevant stakeholders in the business. Start researching distressed properties in your local market. You should also learn to work with contracts.
2. Market to Sellers
Identify motivated sellers and reach out to them. It is easy to target foreclosure properties, inherited homes, or properties with liens.
Pitch yourself to the seller to convince them to sign the sale and buy contract. The methods like direct mail or thorough emails have proven to work a great deal to attract sellers.
3. Look for Property
Properties for wholesaling are difficult to find if you do not know where to look. Find properties using these methods:
|Use the MLS||MLS is one of the best spaces to find real estate properties for buying and selling. If you are a wholesaler who has access to the MLS, you can find several properties on sale.|
» How to List on MLS: Learn how a home seller can list on the MLS.
|Search Your Local Area||This method requires you to look for houses on the go in your neighborhood. You can scan the houses up for sale while driving or having a walk.|
|Network to Find Properties||Networking is one of the best ways to find properties for wholesale. Take inputs from your family and friends about the properties that are on the market.|
Real estate agents, lenders, and contractors in your network can identify properties for wholesale.
» Best Mortgage Lenders in South Dakota: Check out our rankings of top lenders in South Dakota.
|Bandit Signs||Bandit signs are like small billboards or printed signs usually seen on street corners or along the highways. They are marketing tools for investors/wholesalers to find prospective sellers to sell their property for money.|
|Websites||HouseCashin, an online marketplace, promotes off-market properties meant for investors and cash home buyers of South Dakota. Other websites like Trulia, Redfin, and Zillow also have off-market properties that wholesalers can use to find their next wholesale property.|
You can use Craigslist, and social media sites to find properties for wholesaling.
|Auctions||Real estate auctions can also help you get properties. But, most auctions require immediate actual cash payments after the auction.|
So, you need to secure funds or arrange cash in advance before attending an auction.
4. Create Your Team
Form your team of professionals who can help you close the deal properly with the right assistance. Your team should necessarily include the following:
|Contractors||They can help you check the condition of the house to determine the extent of damages and the cost of repairs the end buyer may incur once they take ownership of the home.|
|Home Appraisers||A home appraisal report can help a wholesaler determine the value of the property based on the market trends, and home sales in the area. |
» Average Cost of Home Appraisal in South Dakota: Want to know the cost of a home appraisal report? Click to find out!
|Title Company||The company can perform a home title search to ensure there is no problem with the ownership of the property.|
» Insured Title in South Dakota: Does the title insurance cover your interests as a wholesaler? Read and find out!
5. Build a Buyers List
Find potential buyers at real estate investment events and seminars. You can also look for online communities of investors to find your potential clients.
A wholesaler has to resort to sending direct mail, distributing business cards, and filtering through social media campaigns.
The more you build the buyer’s list, the more exposure you will have when contracting a property with a seller.
6. Purchase and Sale Agreement
The next important step after you have found the seller is to get into a contract with that seller. This wholesale real estate contract is often referred to as a “purchase and sale” agreement.
The agreement contains the asking price of the property, the deadline to complete the transaction, and other conditions. As a wholesaler, you will need to decide whether to assign the contract to an investor or an eligible independent buyer.
In both cases, there is a “contract handoff” which allows the wholesaler to give the authority of the contract to the buyer in return for a pre-defined transaction fee.
7. Assign the Contract
Finalize a buyer from your buyer’s list to assign the contract. Pitch the house to the buyer using its valuation report and an estimate After Repair Value (ARV).
If the buyer agrees, then assign the contract and pass the ownership of the purchase and sale contract. Once the contract is assigned, the wholesaler gets the assignment fee and relinquishes control of the contract.
8. Close and Collect
Close the deal after taking the signature on the contract and handing it over formally. Once the contract is handed over, the buyer will fix the house and re-sell the house.
Two Ways to End a Wholesale Real Estate Deal
- Assign the Contract: The wholesaler finalizes a buyer and simply hands over the contract of the house and charges the assigning fee for their service. The wholesaler gets the fee when the buyer sells the house.
- Double Close: The wholesaler buys the property at a low price for a short duration to wholesale it to an end-buyer. This allows an investor to take ownership of the home for some time before selling it to the buyer.
» How to Wholesale Real Estate Step by Step: Read in detail the steps of wholesaling real estate.
Is Wholesale Real Estate Worth It?
Yes, real estate wholesaling in South Dakota is worth all your efforts. There are minimal expenses helping you spend less and earn more in profits. You also gain decent exposure to the real estate market and expand your network.
Be prepared for unexpected situations as investments tend to be uncertain often. But, wholesale real estate can provide profits over time with experience.
Beginners must put consistent efforts to learn the basics of wholesale real estate to do a successful transaction.
Eager to Know How Houzeo Works?
We’ve got you covered. Check out the following video to understand how Houzeo works and why it is one of the best For Sale By Owner websites in the U.S.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Do you need money to wholesale real estate?
Surprisingly, you don’t need a huge investment to begin your wholesaling real estate business. But, it is vital to put aside an ample budget for your marketing goals. You can also find a business partner to team up with and finance you along the way. Although this will mean that you will have to split the profit.
2. Do you need a real estate license to wholesale?
No, there is no special requirement to have a real estate license for wholesaling. Nonetheless, it’s a good idea to get a real estate license to get added advantages like access to MLS for leads to ramp up your deals.
3. Is wholesale real estate worth it?
Yes, real estate wholesaling can be a lucrative business. You gain decent exposure to the real estate market and also increase your network. Also, there is minimal to no investment required which makes the job easier for the wholesalers to get into the real estate space.
Recommended for Buying a House in South Dakota
- Buyer’s Closing Costs in South Dakota: Discover how much buyers pay at closing in South Dakota.
- Who Pays for Title Insurance in South Dakota: Wondering if you pay for title insurance in South Dakota? Find out now!
- South Dakota Inspection: Know everything about home inspections in South Dakota.
- Best Time to Buy a Home in South Dakota: Read our tips to buy a house at the best time in South Dakota.
- How to Buy a House in South Dakota With Bad Credit: Discover the possibility of purchasing a house in South Dakota with a bad credit score.
- How to Flip a House: Know why flipping a house is attractive to investors in the US!
- Real Estate Brokerage Companies in South Dakota: Check our rankings of top companies that can help you sell and buy a house.
- Top Real Estate Website in South Dakota: Check out the top real estate websites that are changing the game.
- SD Real Estate Market: Discover how changing South Dakota market trends affect the wholesalers of the state.
- Flat Fee MLS Listing Service South Dakota: Find buyers through Flat Fee MLS companies in South Dakota who can help you sell the house faster.
- Low Cost Realtors: Find realtors and companies who can list and sell your home at a low commission.