From Arcadia to Azusa, home prices have declined across the City of Angels. According to Fed, Interest rates might increase twice in the second half of 2023.
Amidst rising mortgage rates and a slowing housing market, this 7-step guide will help you sell a house in Los Angeles.
📉 Los Angeles Home Selling Stats
- # of Homes Sold are Dropping in Los Angeles: The number of homes sold in Los Angeles has dropped 18.8% from 1,817 in 2022 to 1,475 in July 2023.
- Mortgage Interest Rates are Still Rising: Interest rates for a 30-year fixed mortgage have more than doubled in 12 months. They are at 8.031% as of Aug 16, 2023.
- iBuyers are Not a Viable Option: iBuyers have either shut down or have suffered massive losses. Our analysis suggests that iBuyers will offer much less than Fair Market Value for your home in 2023 and 2024.
- Bottom Line: In 2023, more sellers are selling their homes by owner. Use FSBO websites to get maximum exposure via the MLS and to save thousands in commission – negating the decline in home prices.
Sell Your House in Los Angeles in 7 Steps
Here are the 7 steps to selling real estate in Los Angeles in 2023’s slowing housing market.
Step 1: Hire a Listing Agent (or Don’t)
Gone are the days when selling your house meant interviewing several agents and finding the best one for your needs. Today, some of the best FSBO sites and tech brokerages will match you with top agents and get you listed on the MLS fast.
And they will assist you in every step of the transaction with a Realtor’s expertise paired with useful and efficient technology.
You Have 4 Options to Sell Your Home in Los Angeles:
✍️ Pro Tip: Sell Your Distressed Property to Cash Home Buyers
Los Angeles cash home buyers typically offer 50% to 70% of the property’s Fair Market Value. They majorly deal in distressed and rental properties.
Step 2: Price Your Los Angeles Home for Sale
Pricing your home competitively is critical for a successful sale. It is simple to arrive at a list price. Analyze the currently active and recently sold similar listings in your neighborhood. Refine the price further to nail down the exact list price.
In a hot sellers’ market, you can price your home up to 10% more than the neighborhood prices. Whereas in a buyer’s market, set your asking price slightly lower to beat the competition.
» How to Price Your Home for Sale: See how to nail down your list price in 6 steps!
Step 3: Hire a Pro Photographer
Professional photos can greatly impact the selling process by attracting more buyers. According to VHT Studio’s Analysis, homes photographed professionally sell 32% faster.
Hire professional California real estate photographers to create a portfolio of your house. A professional photographer can collate a portfolio that otherwise may not be possible if you take up the job.
Here are a few things you can do to ready your home for Los Angeles real estate photography:
Step 4: List and Market Your Los Angeles Property
Homes listed on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) sell faster and for 13% more. If you are working with a Los Angeles Realtor, they will do the MLS listing for you.
FSBO sellers can opt for a Flat Fee MLS service like Houzeo to list on the MLS. Houzeo will get you on the MLS for a small flat fee starting from $349. Your listing will be syndicated to 100+ real estate websites, giving your house the maximum exposure.
Apart from listing on the MLS, you may try some other unique ways to market your house. These may range from listing your house on Craigslist to sharing your Los Angeles FSBO listings on social media.
» How to List on MLS in California: Here’s how to get an MLS without a Realtor.
The listing paperwork would mainly consist of the listing agreement and the Los Angeles seller’s disclosure.
- Listing Agreement: A listing agreement will be signed between you and your local Los Angeles real estate broker. It will allow your broker to list your property on the local Los Angeles MLS and thereby find buyers for you as per your terms.
- Los Angeles Seller’s Disclosure: California seller’s disclosure statement is a standard checklist form. It allows you to disclose material defects and features of the property. The seller’s disclosure provides information about the property that may negatively affect the value of the house.
Step 5: Manage Showings
Typically, Realtors host open houses or arrange private showings. If you are selling a house in California by owner you can use online tools to manage showings.
With an online showing tool, buyers, and buyer agents can request and schedule showings. For instance, with Houzeo Showings, buyers and buyer agents can choose a particular showing slot as stated by you. The tool also provides features like requesting, rescheduling, updating, and canceling showings.
Step 6: Review, Compare, and Negotiate Offers
With the right marketing strategy, you should have offers coming your way for your Los Angeles home.
The next step would be to compare the offers. Most house sellers go with the highest bid. But here are additional factors you must weigh before settling on an offer:
- Is the buyer making a cash offer on your house?
- Has the buyer applied for a mortgage? Are they pre-approved or just pre-qualified?
- Is the buyer willing to waive off some contingencies like home appraisal?
- Are buyers offering to negotiate the closing costs?
Keep these questions in mind when comparing offers. Typically, real estate brokers do such negotiations for you. As a For Sale By Owner seller, you can use offer management tools like Houzeo Offers. With Houzeo Offers you can make counter offers, call for the best offer, and a lot more.
» Highest and Best Offer: Is it a smart move in multiple offer situations?
Step 7: Close the Sale
Pay Home Selling Taxes in Los Angeles
You will very likely pay the following taxes while selling your house in Los Angeles:
- Transfer Tax: Transfer tax is a one-time fee (generally costs less than 1%) that sellers pay at the time of transferring the ownership between the two parties. You need to pay this tax to the local government body in your area.
- Property Tax: Property tax varies by county, but you will pay approximately 1% of the total home sale value to the government as property tax. You can claim a rebate if you have paid your property tax a year in advance. If you have not paid the tax, then you need to pay the pending amount.
Pay the Los Angeles Seller Closing Costs
Seller and buyers both pay separate closing costs at closing. Closing costs for a seller in California usually consist of HOA fees, escrow fees, real estate attorney fees, and home warranty fees.
Additionally, you need to pay the commissions for both the listing and the buyer agent, which could add up to 6%. If you offer seller concessions, you might cover some buyer’s closing costs in California.
Sign Documents Needed to Sell a House in Los Angeles
This is the final step in your selling your house in Los Angeles. It usually consists of signing the escrow and title documents. Additionally, you will sign the deed and the closing disclosure.
After signing all the documents, the new homeowner’s name is registered in the public record. The buyer signs a check or makes a wire transfer of the sale amount, and your home is sold.
» Paperwork for Selling a House: Everything you need to know.
Tips to Sell Your Los Angeles Home in 2023
The above steps will help you prepare your home for sale. To ensure you sell your home successfully, follow these fool-proof tips to guarantee a smooth sale in 2023:
- Work with an Agent or go FSBO: The house-selling process will differ based on which option you choose. You will get hand-holding if you choose to go with an agent. However, by selling your home yourself, you can save on high seller commissions.
- Use Advanced Tech Tools: Learn to manage the sale of your home using Showing Management and Offer Management tools. These tools will help you track the progress of the sale and take the next step on time.
- Provide Seller Concessions: Due to the high mortgage rates, home buyers are not motivated to purchase homes. As a house seller, you can offer seller concessions to assist an interested home shopper.
» Tips for Selling Your Home: Check these 9 powerful tricks to sell your home in Los Angeles in 2023!
Selling a home in Los Angeles can be daunting if you do not find the right real estate agent. But, hiring a real estate agent will cost you a 3% commission.
If you are looking to save thousands in Los Angeles real estate commission, sell your house with Houzeo.com.
Houzeo real estate is a tech-centric For Sale By Owner website and real estate platform that gives you access to tools only real estate agents have. Here’s how Houzeo works to maximize your savings and exposure.
» Should I Sell My House Now? : Explore if you should sell now or wait for a year.
Eager to Know More?
We’ve got you covered. Check out the following video to understand why Houzeo is one of the best for sale by owner websites in the U.S.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are typical closing costs for sellers in Los Angeles?
Home sellers in Los Angeles typically pay closing costs that include HOA fees, escrow fees, real estate attorney fees, and home warranty fees.
2. How to sell a house in Los Angeles in 2023?
If you want to sell your home in 2023, you must list your home on MLS for max exposure. Additionally, you should offer a competitive price and buyer agent commission to increase the chances of selling your home. List with Houzeo without a Realtor and save thousands on seller commissions!
3. Who pays title insurance at closing in Los Angeles?
- Selling a House in California: Learn the powerpack steps to sell your California house.
Related: sell my land in Los Angeles, sell house in Los Angeles, how to sell my house in Los Angeles, sell my Los Angeles home, how to sell land in Los Angeles, how to sell real estate in Los Angeles, sell my home in Los Angeles, how to sell a home in Los Angeles, sell my house now Los Angeles, selling Los Angeles real estate, house to sell in Los Angeles, selling my house Los Angeles, sell property Los Angeles, selling a house in Los Angeles taxes, selling land in Los Angeles, how do i sell my house in Los Angeles, how to sell property in Los Angeles, cost to sell a house in Los Angeles, selling a condo in Los Angeles, are houses selling in Los Angeles, sell that Los Angeles house, how long does it take to sell a house in Los Angeles, legal steps to selling a house in Los Angeles,
how do you sell a house in Los Angeles, how do you sell your house in Los Angeles, selling my property in Los Angeles, looking to sell your home in Los Angeles, best way to sell your house in Los Angeles, how to prepare to sell your house in Los Angeles, things to know when selling a house in Los Angeles, what to know when selling a house in Los Angeles, what is the process in selling a house in Los Angeles, selling home in Los Angeles, how to start selling property in Los Angeles, should i sell my house Los Angeles, sell house Los Angeles, sell your home ca, selling homes in Los Angeles, i need to sell my house now in Los Angeles, selling a house Los Angeles, best way to sell home in Los Angeles,
will my Los Angeles house sell in this market, how to sell a condo in Los Angeles, seller real estate Los Angeles, sell you house Los Angeles, how to go about selling a house in Los Angeles.
guide to selling a house in Los Angeles, sell the house in Los Angeles, sell your home Los Angeles, things to consider when selling a house in Los Angeles, how do i go about selling my Los Angeles house, steps to selling a home in Los Angeles, cost of selling a house in Los Angeles, selling my Los Angeles home, Los Angeles sell now, sell a house now in Los Angeles, sell your house now in Los Angeles, sale a house in Los Angeles, sell a property in Los Angeles, what to know when selling your house in Los Angeles, sell my land Los Angeles, selling your property in Los Angeles, thinking about selling your home in Los Angeles, things to do to sell your house in Los Angeles, selling a house with a pool in Los Angeles, how can i sale my house Los Angeles, how to sell my house Los Angeles, selling a home in today’s market in Los Angeles, selling a house in los angeles, sell my house los angeles, sell my house in los angeles, tips to sell your los angeles home, sell home los angeles, selling a home in los angeles, selling homes los angeles, selling your los angeles home, sell home in los angeles