Congratulations! You are in the final stretch! However, the joy of finalizing the real estate deal brings with it the stress of financial planning. Closing costs in Alabama are a sum of expenses you should plan for when buying or selling a house.
- Closing costs or “settlement costs” are a set of final expenses paid for completing a real estate transaction.
- The seller and the buyer both pay closing costs in Alabama.
- The 3 major Seller Closing Costs in Alabama are:
- 1. REALTOR Fee
- 2. Recording Fee
- 3. Escrow Fee
- The 3 major Buyer Closing Costs in Alabama are:
- 1. Loan Origination Fee
- 2. Escrow or Impound Account
- 3. Appraisal Fee
- In Alabama, real estate transactions are usually closed by title companies and attorneys.
💰 CLOSING COST CALCULATOR ALABAMA
What are Closing Costs in Alabama?
Closing costs in Alabama are a sum of fees that have to be paid to different stakeholders. Closing costs are essential for finalizing the real estate deal and transferring the ownership of the house. These settlement costs are paid in addition to the net property amount.
Who Pays Closing Costs in Alabama?
Both the buyer and seller pay certain closing costs at the end of the real estate transaction in Alabama.
The seller shells out a higher monetary amount as closing costs as they pay the REALTOR commission. Other fees, like documentation charges, transfer fees, etc., are paid by the buyer.
Some closing costs are negotiable, while others are non-negotiable, like taxes charged by your state or local jurisdiction.
Depending upon the conditions of the Alabama real estate market, the buyer or the seller can negotiate their share of the closing costs. For example, in a buyer’s market, the seller may have to bear a portion of the buyer’s closing costs.
Who Pays Closing Costs on FSBO in Alabama?
While For Sale By Owner (FSBO) property sellers do not have to pay heavy real estate agent commissions, they cannot completely escape closing costs. Some of these are:
1. Transfer Taxes
Transfer tax is charged by the state and/or municipality before the ownership is transferred from the seller to the buyer.
2. Seller’s Attorney Fees
The law in Alabama does not mandate the presence of an attorney for FSBO real estate transactions. However, it is highly advised to hire a real estate attorney for For Sale By Owner Alabama deals to avoid any type of legal risk.
A real estate attorney guides the owner in preparing the necessary documents like seller disclosure and drafts of other legal paperwork.
3. Pre-listing Appraisal
FSBO sellers may have to invest in the pre-listing appraisal, as it would help them find an appropriate buyer in less time. This will, in turn, lower the number of days on the market and make the sale faster.
» For Sale by Owner Websites Reviews: Check out the blog to know about the best FSBO websites in 2023.
How Much are Closing Costs in Alabama?
The closing cost in Alabama for sellers is approximately 8%–10% of the home’s agreement value, while the buyers are expected to pay around 2%–5% of the home’s purchase price.
Let’s put this in perspective! The median home value in Alabama is $215,294. So, if you are selling a house in Alabama, you may have to pay $17,000 to $22,000 as closing costs. On the other hand, if you are buying a house in Alabama, your closing costs may range between $4,500 to $11,000.
How Much are Closing Costs for Sellers in Alabama?
As mentioned above, when selling a house in Alabama, you will have to pay some closing costs to transfer the house ownership to the buyer legally. These costs include several fees that need to be paid over and above the net price of the property.
Some seller closing costs are negotiable. Real estate agents in Alabama usually have information about who pays what at closing and can help you save on closing costs.
Here are some of the prime seller closing costs in Alabama.
1. REALTOR Fee
The seller pays real estate commissions to both the listing agent and the buyer’s agent. The real estate commissions in Alabama usually amount to 5%-6% of the agreement value.
» How To Negotiate Real Estate Commission: Check out this blog to find how how to negotiate REALTOR commissions like a pro!
2. Recording Fee
The recording fee is paid by the seller to make the real estate transaction a matter of public record.
3. Escrow Fee
An escrow agent is an unbiased third party who helps you and the buyer complete the transaction. They clear the house for sale, transfer the ownership to the buyer, and the respective funds to the seller.
The escrow fee is the remuneration charged by the escrow agent for their services.
4. Home Inspection Fee
Sellers can opt for a home inspection to identify any major defects and issues, like plumbing issues, water damage, mold, appliance malfunction, etc., in the house that they must resolve before selling.
This can be done before the property is listed on the market (pre-inspection) or just before the closing. The cost of home inspection in Alabama usually is around $400-$600.
The buyer can also undertake a home inspection. However, if home inspectors in Alabama find undisclosed defects, it might give the buyer an upper hand during negotiations, or they may back out of the deal.
» How Much are Closing Costs in Alabama for Seller: Find out the details of ALL the closing costs in Alabama for sellers.
How Much are Closing Costs for Buyers in Alabama?
These are the closing costs paid by the buyer while acquiring the property ownership from the seller. Like seller closing costs, these too are negotiable. Hence, hiring a buyer’s agent can help you save on closing costs.
We have listed some of the prime buyer closing costs.
1. Loan Origination Fees
Some mortgage lenders charge buyers a loan origination fee to execute the loan with other respective documentation and legal formalities. The loan origination fee usually amounts to 1% of the mortgage loan amount.
2. Mortgage Escrow Account/ Impound Account
A part of the buyer’s monthly mortgage payments are reserved in an escrow or impound account by the best mortgage lenders in Alabama. This reserve is maintained to pay the property tax and homeowners insurance premiums.
A mortgage servicer manages the mortgage escrow account and makes the payments on behalf of the buyer.
3. Appraisal Fee
Appraisal fees are paid to the professional appraiser who assesses the home value and ensures you get the best competitive price.
The cost for home appraisal in Alabama varies between $300 and $500, depending on the property characteristics like its actual saleable area and its geographical location.
4. Title Insurance
Alabama title insurance protects against any type of loss concerning any outstanding taxes, unpaid dues, default in the title, or any violations. Title insurance in Alabama could cost around $200-$250.
» How Much are Buyer Closing Costs in Alabama: Find out the details of ALL the closing costs in Alabama for buyers.
How are Closing Costs Calculated?
It is important to calculate closing costs while selling a house or buying one.
The estimated closing costs give sellers an idea about the home equity they will have after the sale and helps buyers find out the amount they will have to pay over and above the agreement value of the house.
» Closing Cost Calculator: Check out the closing costs calculator for calculating the closing costs for your real estate transaction.
How to Calculate Closing Costs for Seller?
Houzeo’s Home Sale Calculator helps calculate closing costs for sellers in Alabama with a swish and a click! All the sellers have to do is enter their property location, home sale price, mortgage payoff, seller agent commission, and buyer agent commission, and voila!
The Seller Closing Cost Calculator even gives sellers an estimate of their home inspection fee and home warranty fee. With the help of this home sale proceeds calculator, sellers can find out their home equity and be prepared for closing.
» Seller Closing Cost Calculator Alabama: Check out the seller closing costs calculator for calculating the closing costs for seller.
How to Calculate Closing Costs for Buyer?
Houzeo’s Buyer Closing Cost Calculator helps calculate closing costs for buyers in Alabama. To find the estimated buyer closing costs, the buyers have to add the property location, home purchase price, and the down payment in the buyer closing cost estimator.
The closing cost calculator for buyer gives a detailed list of the estimated closing costs for buyer in Alabama.
Home buyers can find out everything right from origination fee, appraisal fee and survey fee to title search, attorney fee, recording fee, prepaid interest charges, escrow property taxes, and owner’s title insurance.
The Buyers Closing Cost Calculator even shows which fees have to be paid before closing and which ones have to be paid at closing while buying a house in Alabama.
» Buyer Closing Cost Calculator Alabama: Check out the closing costs calculator for buyer for calculating the closing costs for buyer.
Closing Costs in Alabama for Refinance
Before we dive into closing costs for refinance, let’s look at the term refinance:
What is Refinancing?
Refinance, also called “Refi,” is nothing but replacing your current loan with one that offers a lower rate of interest. This helps lower monthly mortgage payments.
How Much are Closing Costs in Alabama for Refinance?
Refinancing closing costs are the sum of several expenses paid against any services that were used in the process of underwriting and closing on your mortgage loan, which makes up 3%-5% of the mortgage amount.
The closing cost for refinancing would vary with respect to the property’s location.
Junk Closing Costs to Watch Out For
Junk costs are the additional costs that are imposed by the mortgage lender. These are usually excessive but can be challenged and negotiated for a fairer price. Some of these are:
- Application Fee: The buyer pays this fee to the lender when applying for the mortgage. Not all lenders charge an application fee.
- Loan Processing Fee: This fee is charged by the lender to execute the loan once it has been approved. Borrowers can negotiate for these charges to be waived.
- Mortgage Rate Lock Fee: This fee is a guarantee that the lender will honor the pre-agreed interest rate for a said amount for a set period.
- Underwriting Fee: Mortgage underwriters charge underwriting fee to evaluate and verify loan applications. It is a non-recurring fee. Some lenders charge it in place of the originating fee, while others charge it in addition to the same.
- Courier Fee: A fee of $20-$50 is typically charged in order to cover the courier transactions.
Note: The costs vary by region.
The closing cost of selling a house in Alabama is the mandatory fee that needs to be paid by the seller & the buyer. This is paid over and above the mortgage loan amount. Where the buyer pays 2%-5% and the seller pays 6%-10% against their share of the closing cost.
If you have not begun your real estate journey yet, opt for Houzeo. Houzeo.com, a tech company, provides an unbeatable combination of maximum savings, cutting-edge technology, and 5-star customer support.
With its 100% virtual service, it helps home sellers list their properties without any hassle from the comfort of their homes while also allowing home buyers to explore properties and make offers online.
Houzeo’s customer-centric approach, advanced technology, and flat fee packages make it an ideal choice for those looking to avoid paying high commissions and closing costs.
» Houzeo Reviews: Check out Houzeo.com’s reviews before listing your house!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much are closing costs in Alabama?
The closing cost in Alabama for buyers are approximately 2%–5% of the home’s agreement value. While the sellers are expected to pay around 6–10% of the home’s purchase price. For sellers, that includes the agency commission too.
2. How much are closing costs in Alabama for buyer?
The buyer closing costs are the charges paid by the buyer while acquiring the property ownership from the seller. These charges included several fees that need to be paid over and above the agreement amount and are negotiable too. Hence, you would need the best listing agent that would benefit you in this deal.
3. How much are closing costs in Alabama for seller?
The seller closing costs are the charges paid by the seller while transferring the property ownership to the buyer. These charges included several fees that need to be paid over and above the agreed amount and are negotiable too. Hence, you would need the best listing agent that would benefit you in this deal.
- Who Pays Closing Costs in Alabama: Closing costs in Alabama vary according to the real estate transaction. Read to know more.
- Flat Fee MLS Alabama: Flat Fee MLS companies in Alabama can help you save thousands on commission fees. Read our curated list of the best companies near you.
- Sell My House Fast for Cash: Find out the different ways to sell your house fast for cash.
- Sell My House Fast in Alabama: There is more than one way for selling your house fast in Alabama. Read on to find out more.
- Selling a Home As Is in Alabama: Check out how you can sell your house as is in Alabama.
- How To Sell a House By Owner in Alabama: If want to sell your Alabama house on your own, check out this guide to help you through the process.
- How To List on the MLS: List your home on the MLS yourself without hiring a real estate agent.
- For Sale By Owner Contract: Check out how to create a contract for an FSBO transaction.
- How Can You Get Preapproved for a Mortgage: Check out how you can get pre-approved for a mortgage.
- Top Real Estate Companies in Alabama: Here are the top real estate companies in Alabama that can help you with all your real estate needs.
- Real Estate Websites Alabama: Find out which are the best real estate websites in Alabama that can help you crack a smooth real estate deal.
- Real Estate Disclosures Alabama: Check out the disclosure requirements for selling your house in Alabama.
- Selling Inherited Property in Alabama: Find out the conditions under which you can sell an inherited house in Alabama.
- Best Time to Buy a House in Alabama: Check out if it’s the best time for you to buy a house in Alabama.
- Foreclosures in Alabama: Read the blog to know how to stop foreclosure in Alabama.
Related: closing cost in Alabama, closing costs in Alabama, how much are closing costs in al, how much is closing cost in Alabama, how much are closing costs in Alabama calculator, how much are closing costs on a house in Alabama, cash offers alabama, foreclosure near me, is owner’s title insurance required in alabama, Sell house fast Alabama, selling a house in Alabama without a realtor, best time of year to sell a house in Alabama, staging home for sale, home staging alabama, lender’s title insurance cost in alabama, Alabama inspection, how much home inspection cost in alabama, home appraisal cost alabama, largest mortgage brokers in alabama, buy house alabama, Zillow reviews, closing cost calculator alabama, flat fee mls listing alabama, AL Flat fee mls, cash home buying