Home sellers in the District of Columbia are saving thousands on the 6% real estate agent commission. The best discount real estate brokers use cutting-edge technology and stellar customer service making it easy to sell your home in Washington DC.
👉🏻 Key Takeaways
- Discount real estate brokers will help you list your home for 0.5% to 2% commission. Traditional listing brokers charge 2.5-3%.
- The discount is on the listing fee. You still have to pay the buyer agent commission, typically 2.5-3%.
- Discount real estate brokers will save you between $5,000 to $20,000 on average.
- Houzeo.com is America’s best discount real estate company. Houzeo offers the best combination of maximum exposure, commission savings, cutting-edge tech, and stellar customer service.
We’ve spent thousands of hours researching discount real estate brokers and compiled our list of the best discount real estate brokers.
Rankings: Best Discount Real Estate Brokers in the District of Columbia
|Rank||Discount Real Estate Broker / Company||Listing Fee||Additional Charges||Max Savings||100% Online||Mobile App|
|2.||Ideal Agent||2% |
|3.||Cottage Street Realty||$299 - $999 |
|4.||DNK Real Estate||$249 |
Reviews: 5 Best Discount Real Estate Brokers in the District of Columbia
Houzeo is a top technology-driven real estate platform. It offers 4 different packages:
- Bronze Package ($399+): This package lets you list your house for 6 months. You can upload 24 house photos.
- Silver Package ($399+): List your home for six months and post maximum photos. Unlimited open houses and listing modifications are included in this package.
- Gold Package ($429+): This gives you all the benefits of the Silver package. It also allows you with advanced tech support.
- Platinum ($499+): This package offers virtual full-service support with a licensed broker. These brokers will assist you in negotiations, disclosures, and closing.
👉 Our Take: We recommend Houzeo for all home sellers. The company has an excellent customer rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars. It has extensive coverage across 47 states + DC, a feat achieved by only a handful of other services.
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish listing formalities in less than 60 minutes.
These are the key features that make Houzeo one of the top discount real estate brokers:
- Significant Commission Savings: In most states, you will pay just a small flat fee to list on MLS. On average, home sellers who used Houzeo saved $11,490.
- No Hidden Fees: All costs are disclosed upfront so you don’t have to worry about hidden charges.
- Near Nationwide Coverage: Houzeo operates in 47 states and DC, with ongoing plans for expansion.
- Max Exposure: Houzeo packages give you access to renowned MLS companies.
- Advanced Technology: You eliminate the hassle of extensive paperwork. E-signature and online forms make house listing quick and easy.
- 5-star Customer Service: Dedicated customer support addresses your every concern easy.
- Mobile App: Houzeo’s mobile app lets you manage showing requests from verified buyers and buyer agents. You can either accept, reject, or reschedule showings at your convenience.
Houzeo is America’s #1 ranked real estate brokerage company. It provides an unbeatable combination of max savings, 5-star customer support, and cutting-edge technology.
Houzeo’s flat fee feature helps you save thousands on agent commissions. You also get dedicated customer support that makes the home-selling process much easier and effortless.
2. Ideal Agent
Ideal Agent is an agent matching company. It offers a single listing package for its sellers:
- Full Service (2% Commission): Ideal Agent charges a 2% commission on the home sales price. You will be charged $3,000 to sell a house worth $150,000.
👉 Our Take: Ideal Agent offers full-service assistance and excellent service for home sellers. However, it does not provide any cash rebates to buyers.
» What Is Ideal Agent? Know what Ideal Agent customers have to say about their services.
Ideal Agent offers certain advantages:
- Pre-Negotiated Commission: Ideal Agent has fixed the commission with their agents. This helps sellers to focus on the other aspects of the deal.
- Time-Saving: You will be paired with the most capable agent. They’ll save you time and effort by giving you step-by-step assistance.
- Dedicated Concierge: Their agents will assist you at each phase of the deal, from marketing to negotiation and closing.
» How Does Ideal Agent Work? Here is a detailed explanation of Ideal Agent services.
Ideal Agent offers certain disadvantages:
- No-Multiple Matching Agent: The ideal agent matches the seller with only one agent. You don’t get to choose the agent based on your requirements.
- Sub-Par Agent: Several customers complain about being assigned agents with low reliability.
- No Buyer Support: Ideal Agent isn’t a buyer-focused platform and they do not offer any significant benefits for home buyers.
Steve Johnston established ldeal Agent in 2016. It is headquartered in Tampa. It offers all the traditional realtor services with a 2% commission on home sale value.
Ideal Agent lacks a modern technology system. Customers who have used their services have complained about hidden charges.
3. Cottage Street Realty
Cottage Street Realty is a licensed brokerage. It offers its services only in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
For Home Sellers:
- Basic ($299): This package allows you to list your house for 6 months. You can upload maximum photos, access to state forms and disclosures, and marketing add-ons.
- Showcase ($399): This allows you to enjoy all the services from the basic plan. It also includes a Keybox(upon request), a yard sign(upon request), and house-showing assistance.
- Premium ($799): Get 1 year house listing along with other benefits of the basic and the showcase plan. Printable color flyer, market analysis, and closing assistance also contributes to this plan.
- Supreme ($999): Your property is listed until your house is sold. This includes all the services from the basic, showcase, and premium plans. You also get negotiation assistance, a professionally installed signpost, and a docu-sign contract.
For Home Buyers:
- Buyer’s Rebate: Buyers get a 2% rebate at closing. This amount can be used for paying the closing costs. Additionally, buyers get broker representation, home inspection assistance, and contract negotiations.
👉 Our Take: We recommend the Showcase package for the home sellers for MLS listing. It offers a 6-month listing period along with marketing equipment and showing services. However, you need to pay extra for some services like a yard sign, market analysis, a lock-box, etc.
Cottage Street Realty offers certain advantages:
- Market Exposure: Your property is syndicated to local and national websites like Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, and many more.
- Contract and Disclosures: All packages include state-wise contracts, forms, addendums, and disclosures you need to sell your house.
- Buyer Lead Forwarding: All buyer leads are directly forwarded to you with no agent involvement.
Cottage Street Realty has some disadvantages:
- Less Coverage: It offers real estate services only in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
- Extra Charges for Additional Services: Except supreme package, you pay extra for many services in the rest of the packages. It includes a combo lockbox, showing time, a yard sign, etc.
Cottage Street Realty has a rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars on Zillow.
Cottage Street Realty was established by Alex Hodge. It is a “locally” operated full-service real estate brokerage company. The company offers its services only in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
However, you need to pay extra for their services like market analysis, house show time, or to make changes to your listing.
4. DNK Real Estate
DNK Real Estate is a local brokerage that offers services to buyers and sellers. It offers various packages to its sellers and rebates for buyers.
For Home Sellers:
- Flat Fee MLS Packages ($249 to $2,000): All the packages include MLS listing within 48 hours, syndication to sites like Zillow and Realtor, photo uploads, etc. You need to pay for additional services like changes in your listing, extra property photos, virtual tours, etc.
- Full-Service Package (5% to 6% Commission): This package is designed for sellers looking for agent representation, marketing, and closing assistance. The commission is paid on closing depending on the selling price of your home.
For Home Buyers:
- Buyer’s Rebate – 0.5% to 1%: Buyers get a rebate if they decide to purchase a house with DNK Real Estate. However, this rebate is subject to the house lender’s approval and the home builder.
👉 Our Take: DNK Real Estate flat fee and full-service listing packages are curated for new and busy home sellers. The Deluxe package, priced at $499 has everything you need for a quick listing option. Be sure of the additional expenses that you may have to pay in these transactions.
DNK Real Estate offers the following advantages:
- Add-On Services: It offers a list of add-ons and upgrades to make your flat fee MLS listing more comprehensive.
- Flexible Packages: DNK Real Estate offers several packages to its sellers. These can benefit home sellers with different budgets. Three is something for everyone.
DNK Real Estate has certain disadvantages:
- Outdated Website: DNK Real Estate works with a basic website with no seller’s dashboard, e-sign option, or mobile app. This makes your listing process manual and time-consuming.
- Expensive Add-ons: Even basic add-ons such as a wooden yard sign cost up to $350. You will have to pay $25 to make any change in your house listing. By the end of your transaction, you will have burned a hole in your pocket!
- Limited Coverage: DNK Real Estate does not have a nationwide presence. They are only present in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Northern Virginia.
In our research, we found no credible reviews.
DNK Real Estate LLC is a full-service real estate brokerage company. It is licensed in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. They offer a range of flat fee packages from $299 to $799 and a 1% listing fee package up to $2,000.
However, if you require agent assistance you must go for the full-service package which adds a commission of 5% to 6% at closing.
Redfin is the largest discount real estate company. It offers a single listing package for their buyers and sellers:
- Listing Price: Redfin charges a 1% listing fee if you buy and sell a house with them. It charges a 1.5% listing fee if you decide to just sell your house with Redfin.
👉Our Take: Redfin is a technology-based platform. It helps them to maintain transparency & manage the client’s database seamlessly. However, you may not get full attention due to their high customer volume.
» Is Redfin Legit? Please read our blog to know more.
Redfin offers the following advantages:
- Competitive Pricing: You pay a listing fee of 1% if you decide to buy & sell with Redfin.
- Updated Technology: Redfin provides a mobile app, 3D walkthrough, relevant filters, etc. This makes the real estate transaction seamless.
- Expert Team: The expert team members help you close the deal as quickly as possible.
- National Presence: Redfin covers 80+ markets in the US.
» Redfin Pros and Cons: Read about the advantages and drawbacks before dealing with Redfin.
Redfin offers the following disadvantages:
- Pricing Inaccuracy: As per Redfin reviews, sellers have complained about not considering certain factors during valuation. These factors include a lot area, a gated compound, or a city location.
- Listing Time: As per Redfin’s agreement, it takes almost 15-18 days to verify the seller’s property and list their house.
- Customer Service: Due to high customer volume it lacks personal attention.
Redfin was headquartered in Seattle in 2002 by Mr. David Eraker. It covers 80+ markets in the US. They have an operating business license in New York as Redfin Real Estate.
It provides an elaborate listing agreement with a marketing plan for your home. However, this agreement specifies an 18-day timeframe for listing your property. Additionally, some customers have expressed concerns about the agent’s professionalism.
What Are Discount Brokers and Companies?
Discount real estate brokers are companies or agents who sell your home for less than the standard 2.5% to 3% commission. Sellers receive basic real estate services at a pre-negotiated fee of 0.5% to 2% or even a flat fee.
The reduced fee can easily save sellers thousands in commissions.
You may be now wondering if their services are comparable to those of a traditional Realtor at this point. Discount real estate brokers in District of Columbia typically offer the same services as full-service brokers. The key difference is in pricing.
🤔 Do you offer buyer agent commission to discount brokerages?
YES! Most real estate discount brokers and brokerages will recommend you pay a full buyer agent fee. It is typically between 2% and 3% in most states.
It is vital to pay a competitive commission to the buyer’s agent. This will ensure you sell your home quickly while still receiving the best price possible.
Types of Discount Brokers
Find a discount real estate broker that fits your budget and saves you the most money! The four major types of real estate discount brokerages and companies are as follows:
1. Flat Fee MLS Companies: Flat Fee MLS companies get you on the MLS for a small flat fee saving you thousands in commissions. Best Flat Fee MLS listing companies like Houzeo can get you on the MLS within 48 hours, or even faster!
2. Flat Rate Full-Service Companies: These companies charge a fixed fee instead of the regular 3% commission. This amount can be anywhere between $3,000 and $5,000. A flat rate Realtor is perfect for homes priced on the higher end.
3. Low Commission Estate Agents: Low commission discount brokers offer full-service packages. These are usually priced at 1% or 2%. They cover everything from listing, negotiations, and pricing.
4. Virtual Full Service: A virtual full-service discount broker handles everything online. Companies like Houzeo, also provide full-service options that are 100% online. All services including price negotiation and marketing support are at no additional cost.
Pros and Cons of a Discount Realtor
The primary benefit of working with a discount broker is that they have lower overhead costs. However, a discount broker may not have as much time to communicate. They juggle many clients and may not be available for your queries.
- Reduced Fees: You’ll pay less for listing costs. While standard brokers typically charge at least 3%, discount brokers may charge as little as 0.5% to 1%.
- Full Access to Basic Real Estate Services: You receive the same basic services as you would with a traditional agent. They provide assistance with pricing, marketing, and negotiations.
- Streamlined Process: A low-cost Realtor facilitates the selling process. They are motivated to work efficiently and eliminate all unnecessary steps from the sales process.
- Not Enough Savings: Some discount brokerages may charge hidden fees or sell their services a la carte. This might add to your expenses.
- Not for First-Time Sellers: Most discount real estate brokerages are digital, so you almost never have to talk to anyone in-person. A first-time seller or buyer who needs some hand-holding may not be able to benefit much.
- Lack of Personal Attention: Discount Realtors handle multiple clients at once to make up for the reduced commission rate. They may not be able to provide personalized services.
- High Cancellation Fee: A discount realty company can charge a minimum withdrawal fee within a specified period of time. Remember to carefully review the terms and conditions of the contract before signing.
Discount Real Estate Brokers to Avoid
Some agent-matching websites advertise themselves as “free”. But in reality, they keep a portion of the commission received by the discount real estate brokers. Because you pay the commission, this amount comes out of your pocket.
For example, List With Clever promotes itself as an informational real estate website that matches sellers with discount realtors. Even though Clever claims to be “free”, 25% to 40% of your commission will be directed to Clever as a “Referral Fee”.
» Clever Real Estate Reviews: Check out what you lose when you sell or buy with Clever!
💸 Save Thousands in REALTOR Commission
Sell your house with Houzeo.com for a small flat fee – as low as $349!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
How to Choose a Discount Realtor or Company?
It is essential to select the right real estate agent for your home-selling journey. The following are a couple of pointers to assist you with picking the ideal discount broker or company.
1. Savings: Discount real estate brokers in District of Columbia have a variety of pricing structures. So, choose one that maximizes savings while still providing all of the services you require.
3. Customer Reviews: Check for online customer reviews. This helps you to get an idea of the kind of services you are going to receive.
How Much Can I Save With a Discount Realtor?
As a seller, you can save anywhere between $1,632 and $ 6,680.
Typically, home sellers pay 6% of total realtor commissions. The total commission is divided between the listing agent (3%) and the buyer’s agent (3%). Discount real estate brokers pre-negotiate a reduced listing agent commission of 1% to 2%.
Therefore, you save a commission of 4% to 5% on your home sale.
As a home buyer, you get a buyer’s rebate – a type of cashback received after the sale. A typical buyer rebate is 1% to 2% of the home’s purchase price. For example, Redfin offers a buyer rebate of 0.5%.
However, in order to qualify for this buyer rebate, buyers must fulfill specific requirements. The most important is the minimum price range.
🤔 What is a home buyer rebate?
A Realtor rebate is a type of cashback you receive as a buyer. Some brokerages and agents offer these rebates as an incentive to attract more buyers. Buyer rebates are allowed in 40 states.
Who Should Use a Discount Broker?
Discount Brokers are ideal for sellers and buyers who want to focus on savings.
- Sellers on a Tight Budget: Homeowners who wish to save money might list with a low-fee Realtor. This can help them save big.
- Real Estate Investors: Real estate investors who frequently trade can benefit from low-commission discount brokers.
- House Flippers: Home flipping is a strategy where an investor purchases a property to renovate it and sell it for a profit. Home flippers can save thousands on agent commissions by selling via discount brokers.
Alternatives to Discount Real Estate Brokers in the District of Columbia
Here are some options if you do not want to opt for a discount Realtor in District of Columbia.
- Flat Fee MLS Companies: Flat Fee MLS District of Columbia companies list your property on your local MLS for a flat fee of a few hundred dollars. You can save on commissions and also take advantage of their technology for a faster sale.
- List With a Full-Service Realtor: If you need hand-holding, we recommend you hire a full-service in-person District of Columbia Realtor. You’ll get all the professional help you need, but you will end up paying a full 5% to 6% commission.
- Sell to an iBuyer: Many iBuyers, like Opendoor and Offerpad, purchase hundreds of homes in the District of Columbia market. iBuyers can be a great option if you’re wondering how to sell your house fast in District of Columbia.
- Sell to Cash Home Buyers: Individual cash home buyers and companies that buy houses for cash in District of Columbia make all-cash offers, usually within 24 to 48 hours. Cash buyers let you skip the hassle of listing on the MLS, inspection, appraisal, etc.
- Sell For Sale By Owner: For Sale By Owner websites will help you list and sell a house by owner in District of Columbia and save thousands in listing agent commission. Many FSBO websites will also get you listed on the MLS and help you with FSBO paperwork.
» Best FSBO Sites in District of Columbia: We’ve researched and reviewed all the best For Sale By Owner sites. See our rankings!
Here’s how much you can save with Houzeo.com!
Are Discount Brokers Worth It?
YES! There are various advantages to using a discount real estate broker. Using a cheap brokerage can save you a lot of money. The commission savings can be significant.
There are several discounted real estate brokers on the market today, each with its own set of advantages. Examine factors such as listing fees, listing time, services provided, customer service, and coverage before you choose one.
With Houzeo, you can get your home on the MLS for a small flat fee. You get access to cutting-edge tools like offers dashboard, showings management, and many more to make your selling journey easy.
» List My House on MLS in District of Columbia: The fastest way to get on the MLS!
Eager to Know How Houzeo Works?
We’ve got you covered. Check out the following video to understand how Houzeo works and why it is one of the best For Sale By Owner websites in the U.S.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
» NEED MORE CLARITY? Read these exclusive Houzeo reviews and learn why the platform is the best in America’s competitive housing market.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much commission does a Realtor charge in District of Columbia?
A Realtor in District of Columbia generally charges around 6%.
Are real estate commissions negotiable in District of Columbia?
Yes! Real estate commissions in District of Columbia are negotiable.