MLS is the most powerful tool in U.S. real estate. Homes listed on the MLS sold faster and for 17% more than off-MLS homes, according to a Bright MLS study.
So, whether you’re selling a single-family home in Honolulu or a condo in Maui, you need to be on the Hawaii MLS to get top dollar for your property.
Only Realtors have access to the MLS. And to list you, they will charge a 3% listing agent commission. You will also have to pay the buyer agent another 2.5% to 3% in commission. Gosh… That’s thousands of dollars of your home equity.
But it’s 2023. Some of the best Flat Fee MLS Hawaii services and For Sale By Owner websites will get you listed on the local MLS within 24 to 48 hours, and for just a few hundred dollars. You get the savings and you retain full control of your sale!
⚡ 4 Powerful FSBO Tips
- List on MLS in Hawaii: MLS is the most powerful tool for home sellers. It gives you maximum exposure to home buyers and buyer agents. More exposure means more competition and a higher sale price for you.
- Price Your Home Competitively: Pricing your home right is probably the single most important factor in selling your Hawaii home fast. Pricing too high means more days on market. Pricing low means multiple offers and a bidding war.
- Get Professional Photos: 90% of home buyers search for homes online. You are competing for clicks on Zillow and Houzeo. Get pro photos done – more clicks online means more showings and more offers!
- Offer a Competitive Buyer Agent Commission: We hate commissions. But you can make buyer agents work for you by paying them a commission. Check with local realtors what a competitive commission is in your area.
What is MLS in Real Estate?
MLS or the Multiple Listing System is a local database real estate agents use to list properties for sale. Only licensed real estate agents have access to the MLS.
There are 20+ local MLS’ in Hawaii. You must list your property only on your local Hawaii MLS. Only then the local buyer agents will be able to find your listing.
⚡ Flat Fee MLS Hawaii: Houzeo automatically assigns you the right local MLS for your property.
What are the Benefits of Listing on the MLS in HI?
There are 5 key benefits of being on the MLS.
- Max Exposure = Higher Sale Price: MLS listings get syndicated to Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, and hundreds of other websites. All that exposure means more competition for your property and a higher sale price. Listings on the MLS sold for 17% more than off-MLS listings – That’s thousands of dollars in your pocket!
- Marketing to Buyer Agents: 86% of home sales involve buyer agents who have access to the MLS. Thus, MLS is the most efficient way to market your house to buyer agents.
- Attracting More Buyer Agents: MLS’ allows you to incentivize buyer agents with a competitive commission. Given that most transactions involve a buyer agent, this will allow you to attract top-dollar for your property.
- Faster Sale: Bright MLS found that listings on the MLS sell faster than those not on the MLS. This makes sense given all the extra exposure MLS provides.
- Getting Cash Offers: Almost all Hawaii cash home buyers scour the MLS for properties. This includes iBuyers, investors, and home flippers.
Should I List on MLS with a Full-service Realtor in Hawaii?
We do not recommend listing with a full-service Realtor in Hawaii. The 3% listing agent commission a Realtor will charge you is too expensive. And the biggest benefit a Hawaii Realtor provides is access to the MLS.
You can list on your local MLS with Flat Fee MLS services. You’ll be in control of your sale, and save thousands in commission.
⭐ Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is the only Flat Fee MLS service with 5-star ratings from thousands of home sellers!
How to Get an MLS Listing in Hawaii Without a Realtor?
Only licensed real estate agents have access to Hawaii MLS. There is no way to list on MLS without using an agent.
But you don’t have to pay thousands in commissions to get on this MLS. You can just opt for a Flat Fee MLS listing service. With a Flat Fee MLS listing, you pay a small fee instead of a full listing agent commission. It is the fastest way to get listed on the MLS and hit the Hawaii real estate market.
You can get listed faster with high-tech FSBO sites like Houzeo than with a traditional full-service Realtor. And save thousands!
⚡ Register Now: You can start your listing for FREE and pick an MLS plan only when you’re ready!
Steps to List Your Home on the MLS
- Research to discover the best Flat Fee MLS listing services near you.
- Purchase a Flat Fee MLS listing plan.
- Provide your property details.
- Attach professional photographs with your listing.
- Sign the listing agreement.
- Review the draft listing and get on the MLS.
What is a Flat Fee MLS Hawaii Listing?
Flat Fee MLS is a type of listing service that lists your home on the MLS for a small flat fee. Unlike traditional Realtors, Flat Fee MLS listing services do not charge you a hefty commission of 3%.
Flat Fee MLS listings are typically known as “entry-only” listings or Flat Rate MLS listings. The broker or the company only helps the seller list on MLS for a flat fee. If you need additional help or services, you have to pay additional charges.
Here’s how you can get listed on the MLS in 4 steps:
- Find the Best Flat Fee MLS Listing Service: Choose a Flat Fee MLS listing service to list your house on the local MLS. Several Flat Fee MLS companies are notorious for very high hidden fees. Research Flat Fee MLS listing services in Hawaii before you choose one.
- Choose a Listing Plan: Most services offer a DIY Hawaii MLS listing plan and a virtual full-service plan. In a virtual full-service plan, a licensed real estate broker provides all the assistance virtually.
- Provide Property Photos and Information: Attach good-quality pictures of your house. Opt for professional Hawaii real estate photographers. Homes photographed professionally sell 32% faster. Also, professional photos make your listing more attractive and appealing. Remember, you’re competing for clicks online.
- Sign the Listing Agreement: You will be required to sign the listing agreement and complete Hawaii’s seller disclosures. If everything is in order, the real estate broker will list your home within 24 to 48 hours!
How Much Does it Cost to List on MLS in Hawaii?
It depends on whether you’re working with a full-service or a Flat Fee MLS service like Houzeo.
A full-service agent generally charges you around 2%-3% commission. On the other hand, you can potentially save a lot by using a Flat Fee MLS listing service. Houzeo costs $349 for most home sellers.
Here’s how much a Flat Fee MLS By Owner listing costs:
- Upfront Flat Fee: This is the amount you’ll pay to get on the MLS. Typically it is between $300 and $500.
- Fees at Closing: Most Flat Fee MLS services will not charge any additional fee unless you are in a minimum service state.
- Hidden Charges: Many unscrupulous brokers will reel you in with a $99 listing. Beware – that’s just the start. You’ll be paying $500+ in hidden fees. A $50-yard sign will be sold you to for $135. Some brokers may demand extra charges at closing when it would be too late to do anything.
» SAVE: Houzeo discloses all its fees upfront on the pricing page.
What are the Best Flat Fee MLS Listing Services in HI?
|Flat Fee MLS Service||Price||Additional Fees||100% Online||Offer Management||Showing Management||5-star Reviews||Mobile App|
|2. Flat List||$299||None||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌|
|3. Lifestyle Homes of Hawaii||$3,500||None||❌||✅||✅||❌||❌|
|5. Flat Fee Group||$379 - $500||$250||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌|
|7. Hawaii Flat Fee||$250||None||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌|
*Varies across states
#1 Flat Fee MLS Service
Houzeo offers 4 Flat Fee MLS packages.
- Bronze Package – $329+: This package offers Houzeo listing only for 6 months with maximum photos.
- Silver Package – $399+: This includes everything that home sellers typically look for.
- Gold Package – $379+: It is Houzeo’s signature MLS package and includes all the technology Houzeo is known for Houzeo Showings, Houzeo Offers, and DigiTransact.
- Platinum – $349+: It includes the assistance of a licensed broker to help you with negotiations, disclosures, and closing.
👉 Our Take: We recommend the GOLD plan. You’ll have access to Houzeo tech, making managing showings and offer negotiations easy!
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish listing formalities in less than 60 mins.
Houzeo is America’s #1 Flat Fee MLS service because of 4 reasons:
- Max Exposure: Houzeo MLS packages give you access to the MLS, Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, and 100s of other websites.
- 5-star Customer Service: Houzeo has a fully staffed customer service desk available 6 days a week. Chats and emails are open 7 days a week. This is rare in today’s world.
- 100% Online: Houzeo is high-tech. For you, this means easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and online offers. Houzeo Mobile App is also very powerful.
- No Listing Commission: In most states, you’ll be paying just a small flat fee to list on MLS. Houzeo covers 47 states + DC! And remember, all fees are disclosed upfront, so there are no Houzeo hidden fees. You get to bypass the listing agent commission!
There are no dealbreakers with Houzeo.
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is rated “Excellent” with a 4.9 out of 5 star rating by 4,521 home sellers on Google Reviews and Trustpilot!
Houzeo is rated 4.9 out of 5 stars by thousands of home sellers on Google & Trustpilot.
» Houzeo Reviews: Check out how Team Houzeo has addressed all Houzeo complaints from home sellers.
Houzeo.com is Hawaii’s #1 ranked Flat Fee MLS service. Houzeo provides an unbeatable combination of max savings, 5-star customer support, and cutting-edge technology.
Houzeo’s Bronze package is priced at $99. The Silver package costs $349, and the Gold package costs $399. The full-service Platinum package costs $349 + 1% at closing.
2. Flat List
UNLIMITED LISTING CHANGES
FlatList.com offers 1 Flat Fee MLS Package.
- $299 Package: FlatList.com’s Flat Fee MLS Package is priced at $299. The services vary in different states. Common services include a listing term of 6 months with 25 photos, free listing changes, and open house postings on their site.
Coverage in 4 states: FlatList provides real estate services in Arizona, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington.
If you have a property outside these states, FlatList.com can recommend brokers for your MLS Listing.
👉 Our Take: Sellers must sell with this one package. Also, they do not offer any a la carte service.
Flat.List.com is a good Flat Fee MLS option in the 4 states where it provides services.
- Syndication to Other Websites: Your listing will be syndicated to other real estate websites like Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com. Your home gets the best possible exposure.
- Disclosure Forms: You will receive all the required disclosure forms and HOA addendums. Access to counteroffer forms is an added benefit that the company offers.
- Unlimited Listing Changes: You can make unlimited changes to your listing for free.
In our research, we found some dealbreakers with Flat.List.com.
- Single Flat Fee Package: They only offer a single Flat Fee Package, which cannot be altered to suit the demands of the seller. They don’t even provide a la carte services, forcing sellers to choose the features included in this particular package.
- Manual Listing Process: The listing process is manual. You need to “download, print and scan” the necessary paperwork to get listed on the MLS. This way, the entire listing process gets delayed.
FlatList com has 5 out of 5 stars from 55 reviews on Google.
FlatList.com – Check FlatList Google’s reviews by customers.
Stacie Whitfield, the Managing Broker at FlatList.com, is amongst the best HI Flat Fee MLS brokers. Stacie is known for her expertise in helping home sellers and for her fast responses to queries.
FlatList.com is not 100% online. The website requires home sellers to print, sign, scan, and do several other processes manually. If you’re comfortable with a low-tech service, FlatList.com is a great option for you.
3. Lifestyle Homes of Hawaii
BEST IN FULL-SERVICE
Lifestyle Homes of Hawaii
Lifestyle Homes of Hawaii offers a single flat fee MLS package.
- Flat Rate – $3,500: The package offers all services of a traditional agent but at a flat fee. You will get assistance in pricing and negotiations, showings.
Coverage: They serve everywhere in the state of Hawaii.
👉 Our Take: Jeffrey Samuels is a real estate agent with over 24 years of experience. Though priced at $3,500 his expertise could be valuable.
Lifestyle Homes of Hawaii is beneficial for Hawaii home sellers looking for local support.
- Veteran Broker: Lifestyle Homes of Hawaii is headed by Jeffrey Samuels a licensed broker with over 24 years of experience. They claim to offer full support during the pricing and negotiation stages.
- Negotiation Assistance: Past customers have praised the negotiation skills of Jeffrey Samuels, which is vital in your sale process.
In our research, we came across some drawbacks of Lifestyle Homes of Hawaii.
- Expensive Package: The package is on the higher side when compared to similar platforms.
- Poor Customer Support: You might not get in-time responses as it is a single broker run company.
- Not 100% Online: They lack a dashboard and e-sign service. The manual process can be tedious and time-consuming.
Lifestyle Homes of Hawaii has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars from 45 reviews on Zillow.
» Lifestyle Homes of Hawaii Reviews: Check out the customer reviews for Jeffrey Samuels on Zillow.
Jeffrey Samuels headed Lifestyle Homes of Hawaii provides complete assistance in a single flat rate package. Though based in Oahu, it covers the entire state of Hawaii.
Since it is a single broker enterprise the responses are often delayed. For budgeted sellers the $3,500 package will burn a hole in your pocket.
My Responsibilities with a MS Flat Fee MLS Listing Service
With a Flat Fee MLS “only” listing, you are essentially your own agent. From showings to negotiations, you control everything. Here are a few tips to ensure a smooth listing process with a Flat Fee MLS company:
- Provide Accurate Information: While listing your property yourself, be sure to provide accurate information.
- Use Own Photos: Make sure you own the copyright for the photos you upload. You can either click the photos yourself or hire a professional real estate photographer.
- Ensure MLS Listing Status is Updated Promptly: Mark your listing as “Sale Pending” within 24 hours (or sooner) after accepting an offer. Provide executed documents, promptly. MLS fines can absolutely ruin your day.
- Ensure “Active” Listings are Available for Showings: If a listing is “Active” on the MLS, make sure it’s available for showing. When you go live on the MLS, ensure you’re ready to show your property.
How to Get on MLS for Free?
You can list on the MLS without a full-service agent, but it is never going to be free.
Home sellers can list on the For Sale By Owner websites that provide nationwide coverage for free. But the exposure offered will not be as efficient as MLS. Because homes listed on the MLS sell faster and for 17% more.
This is where Houzeo can help!
Houzeo offers affordable MLS listing services. Your listing gets syndicated to 100+ real estate websites like Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, and others. This guarantees maximum exposure.
How Long Does it Take to List a House on Hawaii MLS?
It takes about 2 days to make an MLS listing live after submitting all the paperwork and listing contract.
Most Hawaii Flat Fee MLS services forward the order to local real estate brokers. The broker then sends you the paperwork that you have to complete manually. Your listing goes live within 2 days of submission.
Houzeo instantly assigns you the right paperwork based on your location and region. And it is all digital. After you have submitted all the documents, your Hawaii home will be listed within 24 hours, in most cases even sooner!
How Does a Flat Fee MLS Hawaii Listing Save You Money?
Traditional listing agents charge about 3% listing commission. Flat Fee MLS Hawaii listing services charge you a flat fee of about $300 to $500, saving you thousands in commission.
You only have to pay the buyer agent commission if you sell to a represented buyer. You keep the entire sale amount if you find an unrepresented buyer.
86% of buyers are represented by an agent. We recommend you offer a competitive buyer agent commission to get top dollar for your property.
|Listing Agent Commission||3%||$349 flat fee|
|Buyer’s Agent Commission||2.5% – 3%||0-3%|
|Total Commission||5.5% – 6%||2.5%*|
Apart from real estate agents in Hawaii and Flat Fee MLS companies, here are the other ways to list your home:
- Take the FSBO Route: In an FSBO sale, you won’t be marketing your property in traditional ways available with Realtors. Instead, you will DIY your marketing strategy using for sale by owner yard signs and For Sale By Owner websites. The best FSBO sites in Hawaii are Craigslist, Zillow, and ForSaleByOwner.com.
- Opt for a Discount Real Estate Broker: Work with a Hawaii discount real estate broker if you want to list on the MLS without paying a 3% commission. Along with an MLS listing, discount brokers offer all services offered by traditional brokers, but for discounted rates. Some discount brokers worth mentioning are Homie and Houwzer.
Getting on the MLS is the best way to market your house to buyer agents. Houses listed on the MLS sell faster and for more. Only licensed real estate agents can get you on the MLS but they charge you a 3% agent commission.
List with Flat Fee real estate companies like Houzeo to bypass the hefty listing commission.
With Houzeo you get:
- An MLS listing within 48 hours
- Maximum exposure
- 5-star customer support team to assist you
All of this and more, just for a small flat fee of $349.
Eager to Know How Houzeo Works?
We’ve got you covered. Check out the following video to understand how Houzeo works and why it is one of the best For Sale By Owner websites in the U.S.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
» NEED MORE CLARITY? Read these exclusive Houzeo reviews and learn why the platform is the best in America’s competitive housing market.
FAQs on How to List on MLS Without a Realtor in Hawaii
1. Can a private seller list on Hawaii MLS
Only licensed real estate agents can list on Hawaii MLS. However, private sellers can work with a Flat Fee service to get on the MLS without paying the 3% listing agent commissions. Check out our rankings for the top Flat Fee MLS services that will save thousands in commissions and get you on the MLS within 48 hours.
2. What does it cost to list on Hawaii MLS?
It depends on whom you are working with. Traditional Realtors charge 2.5% to 3% commission to list a house on the local MLS. On the other hand, a low-commission broker will charge you around 2% commission for an MLS listing. The best option would be to work with a Flat Fee MLS Hawaii company. They will get you listed for $300 to $400. Check out Houzeo's Flat Fee MLS plans that will save thousands in commissions.
3. Can anyone list a house on Hawaii MLS?
Only licensed real estate agents can list houses on the Hawaii MLS. As a For Sale By Owner seller, you can work with Flat Fee services that offer entry-only listings. Unlike traditional realtors, they do not charge a 3% commission. Check out the best Flat Fee services near you.
4. When do MLS listings go live?
Depending on the agent or the listing service you work with, it can take up to 2 business days to make your listing live. With Houzeo’s fast listing service, you can get listed within a few hours. Discover how Houzeo works.
5. Is listing on Hawaii MLS worth it?
Yes, listing on the Hawaii MLS is completely worth it. Your listing gets syndicated to various local Hawaii real estate websites which guarantee maximum exposure and more offers for your home. As per a study, homes listed on the MLS sell for 25% more than the asking price. Check out our in-depth research on the benefits of an MLS listing.