From Charlotte to Raleigh, home sellers across North Carolina are saving thousands on the 6% real estate agent commission. The best discount real estate brokers use cutting-edge technology and stellar customer service making it easy to sell your home in North Carolina.
👉🏻 Key Takeaways
- Discount real estate brokers will help you list your home for 0.5% to 2% commission. Traditional listing brokers charge 2.5-3%.
- The discount is on the listing fee. You still have to pay the buyer agent commission, typically 2.5-3%.
- Discount real estate brokers will save you between $5,000 to $20,000 on average.
- Houzeo.com is America’s best discount real estate company. Houzeo offers the best combination of maximum exposure, commission savings, cutting-edge tech, and stellar customer service.
We’ve spent thousands of hours researching discount real estate brokers and compiled our list of the best discount real estate brokers.
Rankings: Best Discount Real Estate Brokers & Companies in North Carolina
|Rank||Discount Real Estate Broker / Company||Listing Fee||Additional Charges||Max Savings||100% Online||Mobile App|
|2.||Smart Choice Realty||1%|
|3.||Flat Fee Realty||Varies||❌||❌||❌||❌|
Reviews: 5 Best Discount Real Estate Brokers & Companies in North Carolina
Houzeo is a top technology-driven real estate platform. It offers 4 different packages:
- Bronze Package ($399+): This package lets you list your house for 6 months. You can upload 24 house photos.
- Silver Package ($399+): List your home for six months and post maximum photos. Unlimited open houses and listing modifications are included in this package.
- Gold Package ($429+): This gives you all the benefits of the Silver package. It also allows you with advanced tech support.
- Platinum ($499+): This package offers virtual full-service support with a licensed broker. These brokers will assist you in negotiations, disclosures, and closing.
👉 Our Take: We recommend Houzeo for all home sellers. The company has an excellent customer rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars. It has extensive coverage across 47 states + DC, a feat achieved by only a handful of other services.
» Houzeo Reviews: Houzeo is 100% online. You can finish listing formalities in less than 60 minutes.
These are the key features that make Houzeo one of the top discount real estate brokers:
- Significant Commission Savings: In most states, you will pay just a small flat fee to list on MLS. On average, home sellers who used Houzeo saved $11,490.
- No Hidden Fees: All costs are disclosed upfront so you don’t have to worry about hidden charges.
- Near Nationwide Coverage: Houzeo operates in 47 states and DC, with ongoing plans for expansion.
- Max Exposure: Houzeo packages give you access to renowned MLS companies.
- Advanced Technology: You eliminate the hassle of extensive paperwork. E-signature and online forms make house listing quick and easy.
- 5-star Customer Service: Dedicated customer support addresses your every concern easy.
- Mobile App: Houzeo’s mobile app lets you manage showing requests from verified buyers and buyer agents. You can either accept, reject, or reschedule showings at your convenience.
Houzeo is America’s #1 ranked real estate brokerage company. It provides an unbeatable combination of max savings, 5-star customer support, and cutting-edge technology.
Houzeo’s flat fee feature helps you save thousands on agent commissions. You also get dedicated customer support that makes the home-selling process much easier and effortless.
2. Smart Choice Realty
Smart Choice Realty is a discount realtor based in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Flat Fee ($1000): If you sell and buy a property through Smart Choice Realty, they list your house for a flat fee of $1,000. It includes features like home valuation, professional photographs, closing assistance, etc.
- Full Service at Closing (1% Commission): If you only sell your house, you have to pay a 1% commission. The package includes everything from a $1000 Flat Fee plan.
👉 Our Take: Smart Choice Realty offers home valuation, closing details, and a free listing consultation to sellers. If you buy another home with their buyer specialists, they’ll list your current home for a $1,000 fee.
Smart Choice Realty offers certain advantages:
- Home Valuation and Property Analysis: They analyze your property condition and recommend repairs and improvements.
- Market Exposure: Your home will be featured on 400+ websites, including Realtor.com, Zillow, Trulia & more.
- Excellent Customer Service: Home sellers and buyers have praised Smart Choice Realty’s 5-star customer service.
Smart Choice Realty offers certain disadvantages:
- Service Coverage: They only offer full-service agent services in Raleigh.
- High Price: If you decide to only sell with them, they will charge you a much higher price.
Smart Choice Realty has an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars on Google.
Samara Presley established Smart Choice Realty in 2008. They are a good option if you wish to buy and sell at the same time.
Smart Choice Realty analyzes your property, suggests repairs, and helps you sell your home at the best price. However, they only offer services in Raleigh.
3. Flat Fee Realty
Flat Fee Realty offers a single Flat Fee MLS package, the price of which varies by state. The listing agent also retains a small percentage of the buyer broker’s commission.
- Common services included in the flat fee package are a listing term of 6 months with 6 photos. Your listings get syndicated to Zillow, Trulia, and Realtor.com. The package also includes free listing upgrades and state disclosures.
Listing Photos Upgrades: If you want to make changes to your listing photos, you must purchase upgrades separately. You can add up to 25 photos for $50.
👉 Our Take: If an affordable plan is your priority, then Flat Fee Realty is a good option. However, they do charge additional fees for optional upgrades like additional photos. They do not offer any services to home buyers.
Flat Fee Realty is a decent option if you are looking for a low-cost real estate brokerage.
- Market Exposure: Your listing gets syndicated to the local MLS and other real estate websites like Zillow, Trulia, and Realtor.com.
- Full Representation: Flat Fee Realty offers a full representation of your property to enable you to sell your home fast.
- Custom Home Search: You can save your home search preferences on their website. Later you can just view homes matching your description as they become available.
In our research, we have found some red flags associated with Flat Fee Realty.
- Low on Tech: Flat Fee Realty is not 100% online. Some of the processes are carried out manually. Your listing might get delayed.
- Non-customizable Packages: Flat Fee Realty’s listing package provides no scope for customization. The package is a one size fits all plan, limiting the options you would like to opt for.
- No Buyer Support: Flat Fee Realty isn’t a buyer-focused platform and they offer no significant benefits for home buyers.
No credible reviews are found.
Fred Romano owns Flat Fee Realty LLC. The company is a licensed brokerage in Connecticut. In the remaining states, they partner with licensed brokers to list your property on the MLS.
Flat Fee Realty charges 0.10 – 0.25% commission at closing. Even though they claim the buyer agent pays this, the entire commission comes out of the seller’s proceeds.
4. Ideal Agent
Ideal Agent is an agent matching company. It offers a single listing package for its sellers:
- Full Service (2% Commission): Ideal Agent charges a 2% commission on the home sales price. You will be charged $3,000 to sell a house worth $150,000.
👉 Our Take: Ideal Agent offers full-service assistance and excellent service for home sellers. However, it does not provide any cash rebates to buyers.
» What Is Ideal Agent? Know what Ideal Agent customers have to say about their services.
Ideal Agent offers certain advantages:
- Pre-Negotiated Commission: Ideal Agent has fixed the commission with their agents. This helps sellers to focus on the other aspects of the deal.
- Time-Saving: You will be paired with the most capable agent. They’ll save you time and effort by giving you step-by-step assistance.
- Dedicated Concierge: Their agents will assist you at each phase of the deal, from marketing to negotiation and closing.
» How Does Ideal Agent Work? Here is a detailed explanation of Ideal Agent services.
Ideal Agent offers certain disadvantages:
- No-Multiple Matching Agent: The ideal agent matches the seller with only one agent. You don’t get to choose the agent based on your requirements.
- Sub-Par Agent: Several customers complain about being assigned agents with low reliability.
- No Buyer Support: Ideal Agent isn’t a buyer-focused platform and they do not offer any significant benefits for home buyers.
Steve Johnston established ldeal Agent in 2016. It is headquartered in Tampa. It offers all the traditional realtor services with a 2% commission on home sale value.
Ideal Agent lacks a modern technology system. Customers who have used their services have complained about hidden charges.
Trelora is a full-service realty that offers services at discounted rates to home sellers. They strive to modernize home ownership through the use of technology.
For Home Sellers:
Trelora offers two listing packages for sellers:
- Trelora EasySell ($2,500): This package is available only through Trelora’s mobile app where sellers can get virtual full service for a flat fee.
- In-Person Full Service (1% Commission): This package offers in-person full service for a commission of 1% of the sale price at closing.
For Home Buyers:
- Buyer’s Rebate: With Trelora, home buyers can get a rebate of up to $2,500 by bundling the mortgage and title.
Coverage: Trelora offers services only in Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Washington.
👉 Our Take: Trelora offers full-service assistance for home sellers. However, it does lack multiple agent assistance.
Trelora offers certain advantages:
- Good Add-On Features: They offer add-on features like listing consultation, professional photography, and negotiation assistance.
- Good Technology: Their software claims to make the process for home sellers digital and straightforward. However, not much information was found on the specifics of their tech stack.
» What is Trelora? Check this out before choosing them.
Trelora offers certain disadvantages:
- Multiple Agents Assistance: Trelora agents handle multiple clients to save on operating costs. Different low-cost real estate agents assist you at every sale stage leading to miscommunication.
- Poor Customer Support: Customers who have worked with them previously have complained about poor customer service quality.
Joshua Hunt established Trelora in 2011. It is headquartered in Denver, Colorado. Trelora was acquired by Houwzer, a prominent real estate firm, in December 2022.
Trelora does not assign a dedicated agent to home sellers. They connect with a different agent at every step of the process. This may lead to delays, mistakes, and miscommunication.
What Are Discount Brokers and Companies?
Discount real estate brokers are companies or agents who sell your home for less than the standard 2.5 to 3% commission. Sellers receive basic real estate services at a pre-negotiated fee of 0.5% to 2% or even a flat fee.
The reduced fee can easily save sellers thousands in commissions.
You may be now wondering if their services are comparable to those of a traditional Realtor at this point. Discount real estate brokers typically offer the same services as full-service brokers. The key difference is in pricing.
🤔 Do you offer buyer agent commission to discount brokerages?
YES! Most real estate discount brokers and brokerages will recommend you pay a full buyer agent fee. It is typically between 2% and 3% in most states.
It is vital to pay a competitive commission to the buyer’s agent. This will ensure you sell your home quickly while still receiving the best price possible.
Types of Discount Brokers
Find a discount real estate broker that fits your budget and saves you the most money! The four major types of real estate discount brokerages and companies are as follows:
1. Flat Fee MLS Companies: Flat Fee MLS companies get you on the MLS for a small flat fee saving you thousands in commissions. Best Flat Fee MLS listing companies like Houzeo can get you on the MLS within 48 hours, or even faster!
2. Flat Rate Full-Service Companies: These companies charge a fixed fee instead of the regular 3% commission. This amount can be anywhere between $3,000 and $5,000. A flat rate Realtor is perfect for homes priced on the higher end.
3. Low Commission Estate Agents: Low commission discount brokers offer full-service packages. These are usually priced at 1% or 2%. They cover everything from listing, negotiations, and pricing.
4. Virtual Full Service: A virtual full-service discount broker handles everything online. Companies like Houzeo, also provide full-service options that are 100% online. All services including price negotiation and marketing support are at no additional cost.
Pros and Cons of a Discount Realtor
The primary benefit of working with a discount broker is that they have lower overhead costs. However, a discount broker may not have as much time to communicate. They juggle many clients and may not be available for your queries.
- Reduced Fees: You’ll pay less for listing costs. While standard brokers typically charge at least 3%, discount brokers may charge as little as 0.5% to 1%.
- Full Access to Basic Real Estate Services: You receive the same basic services as you would with a traditional agent. They provide assistance with pricing, marketing, and negotiations.
- Streamlined Process: A low-cost Realtor facilitates the selling process. They are motivated to work efficiently and eliminate all unnecessary steps from the sales process.
- Not Enough Savings: Some discount brokerages may charge hidden fees or sell their services a la carte. This might add to your expenses.
- Not for First-Time Sellers: Most discount real estate brokerages are digital, so you almost never have to talk to anyone in-person. A first-time seller or buyer who needs some hand-holding may not be able to benefit much.
- Lack of Personal Attention: Discount Realtors handle multiple clients at once to make up for the reduced commission rate. They may not be able to provide personalized services.
- High Cancellation Fee: A discount realty company can charge a minimum withdrawal fee within a specified period of time. Remember to carefully review the terms and conditions of the contract before signing.
Discount Real Estate Brokers to Avoid
Some agent-matching websites advertise themselves as “free”. But in reality, they keep a portion of the commission received by the discount real estate brokers. Because you pay the commission, this amount comes out of your pocket.
For example, List With Clever promotes itself as an informational real estate website that matches sellers with discount realtors. Even though Clever claims to be “free”, 25% to 40% of your commission will be directed to Clever as a “Referral Fee”.
» Clever Real Estate: Check out what you lose when you sell or buy with Clever!
💸 Save Thousands in REALTOR Commission
Sell your house with Houzeo.com for a small flat fee – as low as $349!
START YOUR MLS LISTING NOW
How to Choose a Discount Realtor or Company?
It is essential to select the right real estate agent for your home-selling journey. The following are a couple of pointers to assist you with picking the ideal discount broker or company.
1. Savings: Discount real estate brokers have a variety of pricing structures. So, choose one that maximizes savings while still providing all of the services you require.
3. Customer Reviews: Check for online customer reviews. This helps you to get an idea of the kind of services you are going to receive.
How Much Can I Save With a Discount Realtor?
As a seller, you can save anywhere between $1,632 and $ 6,680.
Typically, home sellers pay 6% of total realtor commissions. The total commission is divided between the listing agent (3%) and the buyer’s agent (3%). Discount real estate brokers pre-negotiate a reduced listing agent commission of 1% to 2%.
Therefore, you save a commission of 4% to 5% on your home sale.
As a home buyer, you get a buyer’s rebate – a type of cashback received after the sale. A typical buyer rebate is 1% to 2% of the home’s purchase price. For example, Trelora offers a buyer rebate of up to $2,500.
However, in order to qualify for this buyer rebate, buyers must fulfill specific requirements. The most important is the minimum price range.
🤔 What is a home buyer rebate?
A Realtor rebate is a type of cashback you receive as a buyer. Some brokerages and agents offer these rebates as an incentive to attract more buyers. Buyer rebates are allowed in 40 states.
Who Should Use a Discount Broker?
Discount Brokers are ideal for sellers and buyers who want to focus on savings.
- Sellers on a Tight Budget: Homeowners who wish to save money might list with a low-fee Realtor. This can help them save big.
- Real Estate Investors: Real estate investors who frequently trade can benefit from low-commission discount brokers.
- House Flippers: Home flipping is a strategy where an investor purchases a property to renovate it and sell it for a profit. Home flippers can save thousands on agent commissions by selling via discount brokers.
Discount Realtors Near Me
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Mooresville, NC: Mooresville discount Realtors charge a fee of 1% to 1.5%. To make an informed selection, look into their listing costs, services offered, coverage, and technology.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Charlotte, NC: Discount brokers in Charlotte will list and sell your home for 1% to 1.5% commission. Some of the companies also offer buyer rebates.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Raleigh, NC: Discount real estate agents in Raleigh offer buyer as well as seller services. You may save thousands by selling your house for a fee of 1% to 2.5%.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers in Asheville, NC: Discount listing agents in Asheville are a great option if you want to sell your home at discounted rates.
Alternatives to Discount Real Estate Brokers in North Carolina
Here are some options if you do not want to opt for a discount Realtor in North Carolina.
- Flat Fee MLS Companies: Flat Fee MLS North Carolina companies list your property on your local MLS for a flat fee of a few hundred dollars. You can save on commissions and also take advantage of their technology for a faster sale.
- List With a Full-Service Realtor: If you need hand-holding, we recommend you hire a full-service in-person North Carolina Realtor. You’ll get all the professional help you need, but you will end up paying a full 5% to 6% commission.
- Sell to an iBuyer: Many iBuyers, like Opendoor and Offerpad, purchase hundreds of homes in Charlotte and other North Carolina markets. iBuyers can be a great option if you’re wondering how to sell my house fast in North Carolina.
- Sell to Cash Home Buyers: Individual cash home buyers and companies that buy houses for cash in North Carolina make all-cash offers, usually within 24 to 48 hours. Cash buyers let you skip the hassle of listing on the MLS, inspection, appraisal, etc.
- Sell For Sale By Owner: For Sale By Owner websites will help you list and sell a house by owner in North Carolina and save thousands in listing agent commission. Many FSBO websites will also get you listed on the MLS and help you with FSBO paperwork.
» Best FSBO Sites in North Carolina: We’ve researched and reviewed all the best For Sale By Owner sites. See our rankings!
Here’s how much you can save with Houzeo.com!
Are Discount Brokers Worth It?
YES! There are various advantages to using a discount real estate broker. Using a cheap brokerage can save you a lot of money. The commission savings can be significant.
There are several discounted real estate brokers on the market today, each with its own set of advantages. Examine factors such as listing fees, listing time, services provided, customer service, and coverage before you choose one.
With Houzeo, you can get your home on the MLS for a small flat fee. You get access to cutting-edge tools like offers dashboard, showings management, and many more to make your selling journey easy.
» List My House on MLS in North Carolina: The fastest way to get on the MLS!
Eager to Know How Houzeo Works?
We’ve got you covered. Check out the following video to understand how Houzeo works and why it is one of the best For Sale By Owner websites in the U.S.
What is Houzeo?
An overview of what the platform is all about
» NEED MORE CLARITY? Read these exclusive Houzeo reviews and learn why the platform is the best in America’s competitive housing market.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much commission does a Realtor charge in NC?
A Realtor in North Carolina generally charge around 6%.
Are real estate commissions negotiable in North Carolina?
Yes! Real estate commissions in North Carolina are negotiable.
Related: realtor discounts in north carolina, discount brokerage real estate in north carolina, discount real in north carolina, discount real estate in north carolina, discounted real estate brokers in north carolina, cheap brokers in north carolina, discount broker real estate in north carolina, brokers with lowest fees in north carolina, cheap real estate brokers in north carolina, discount real estate companies in north carolina, discount real estate services in north carolina, real estate discount in north carolina, realestate discount in north carolina, compare discount brokers in north carolina, discount brokerage companies in north carolina, discount real estate commission in north carolina, discount real estate listing in north carolina